DVC Grocery List - Payment Question

Howdy folks,

Long story short, due to timing, we decided to do a small grocery order through DVC rather than go through Garden Grocer. But… I just got thrown for a loop… :wacko:

The form is supposed to be faxed or mailed to Disney, but it actually includes Credit Card info (name, card number, expiration date, even a signature). This seems very archaic and is definitely not secure… :ninja:

Has anyone handled this in a different way? We’re going to call or e-mail DVC tonight, but in the meantime I’m curious.

Bruce

Sorry Bruce I have not done it but I would be wary of this if I were you too!!:mellow:

Bruce, we use the DVC grocery service on every trip. I completely agree with you that it seems so archaic & concerning to put your name/address & credit card number right on the form. Although, I’v never had a problem. They deliver the reciept to you in a sealed envelope & instead of faxing it in I always send it via mail.

I am glad you are going to call them though, 'cause I’d love if there were an option that did NOT require you to send in your CC on a form.

Let us know what they say.

Well, we didn’t call last night as my wife had already sent it in earlier this week… :redface: And here I thought we were on the same page… :laugh:

She admitted that she really didn’t think about the CC# since “Well, it’s Disney.” :blush:

I did send something to Member Services this morning, and I’ll report back when I hear from them.

Bruce

Don’t they have your credit card numbers on file?

I don’t think they have something “on file” (like a CC# stored in a profile/account), but I’m not 100% sure.

I don’t understand why they don’t handle payment at check-in. If you aren’t going to have a secure online payment, that seems to be the best way to handle it.

I used to work for a credit card company 10 years ago; this would have been considered to be a bad process even back then.

Bruce

[QUOTE=brumcg;941131]I don’t think they have something “on file” (like a CC# stored in a profile/account), but I’m not 100% sure.

I don’t understand why they don’t handle payment at check-in. If you aren’t going to have a secure online payment, that seems to be the best way to handle it.

I used to work for a credit card company 10 years ago; this would have been considered to be a bad process even back then.

Bruce[/QUOTE]

yup. Same here, I worked for a credit card processor a hundred years ago and that would have been unacceptable practice.

I put in a grocery order through DVC each time we go. I’ve never really given much thought to the whole credit card issue, but what you are all saying makes a lot of sense. I always fax my order about 1-2 weeks out. I’m going to rethink this as I’ve just had my Visa Disney Rewards card canceled for unauthorized use.

UGH! M5ward, I’m sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately, it looks like my complaint/suggestion received canned response #1:

Hello Bruce, Thank you for contacting Member Services.

I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas with us. The feedback we receive from our Members is very important to us asit lets us know what we are doing right and what we can do better. As we strive to improve the benefits and services we provide to our Members, we are constantly evaluating our operation. You may be assuredyour input will be taken seriously.

Thank you again for writing. We are glad you are a part of our Disney Vacation Club family.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Lisa
Member Services | Online Communications
Disney Vacation Club

[QUOTE=brumcg;941714]UGH! M5ward, I’m sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately, it looks like my complaint/suggestion received canned response #1:

Hello Bruce, Thank you for contacting Member Services.

I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas with us. The feedback we receive from our Members is very important to us asit lets us know what we are doing right and what we can do better. As we strive to improve the benefits and services we provide to our Members, we are constantly evaluating our operation. You may be assuredyour input will be taken seriously.

Thank you again for writing. We are glad you are a part of our Disney Vacation Club family.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Lisa
Member Services | Online Communications
Disney Vacation Club[/QUOTE]

That’s a pretty standard response, wouldn’t you say? Let’s see if they change things, which they really should.

Has anyone here ever thought about using virtual account numbers when doing business online?
I have a couple of citi cards and they offer that. So everytime I buy something on the internet, I sign into my account and request a virtual one time use only number and it generates one for me right there. It has to be used immediately by the merchant.
It is a great service!

Maybe we should demand this service from all credit card companies

That’s a great service. I’ve been doing business online for many years now, but I’ve had several companies - mostly small, but sometimes not - inform me that they had been hacked and payment information was compromised.

Bruce

I think that it is more secure through a fax than through email. I think that no one is hacking into phone lines like they are computers/email. The only reason that I know this is due to my business. I am a designer (which has nothing to do with visa), but I regularly buy things from a lot of different vendors, and they consistently want me to fax the information to them, and not to email it. You would think that the email would be easier, but the regularly tell me to fax it for security reasons…

While I do not know, I would think that for Disney, this would make more sense than receiving a bunch of emails every day- seems to easy to hack into. Just a thought.