DVC Mike Live from Disneyland

I arrived at the Disneyland Resort in California on Sunday morning, ready to spend 7 nights here. I checked into the Grand Californian Hotel, but my room wasn’t ready yet (it was ready at 3pm). The GCH is beautiful, and I’m glad I added on points here. The construction of the new wing is coming along.

I spent the morning wandering around. I went to Disneyland and picked up my annual pass. I took the train around Disneyland Park and rode the monorail. I didn’t do any attractions – I just explored Disneyland Park and Disney’s California Adventure, Downtown Disney and the hotels.

The best thing about DLR is that everywhere I want to go is just a short walk away. I don’t need to wait for a bus or a boat. I walk out of one door of the GCH and I’m in DTD; I walk out another and I’m in DCA.

I had lunch at Wine Country Trattoria with some folks from MousePlanet and DISBoards.

I walked over to the model rooms for Disney’s Villas at the Grand California. It was nice to see them in person. The rooms look great!

GCH Entrance, with the villas under construction:

The view from my DCA view room at GCH:

DTD with the GCH rooms

VGC construction

VGC Model

The Disneyland Hotel

Walking around DCA

Since my wife couldn’t come, I’m doing this vacation solo. For Sunday night dinner at Napa Rose, I asked to sit at the Chef’s table so I kept busy watching them prepare all the meals. Wow, is all I can say. Several of the chefs spoke to me during brief breaks in preparing the food.

I had the asparagus-encrusted Halibut as the main course. It was delicious.

Since DL was open until midnight, I headed over there after dinner to catch the fireworks.

I caught the “Remember…Dreams Come True” fireworks last night. I’ve never seen it before. It was interesting how they incorporated music and spoken words from many attractions and some interesting affects I’ve not seen at WDW. Definitely worth it.

I was standing in front of Sleeping Beauty’s Castle at 8:39 pm PT when I felt the 4.7 earthquake that hit. The whole ground wobbled like a big truck was driving over a bridge you are standing on. I’ve not felt one since I moved away from California, so it brought back memories! Oh well, I guess I’m back home.

I walked over to Disneyland Park early this Monday morning and was lucky to get right up to the rope at the end of Main Street. When the rope dropped, I headed straight for the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. I was the 4th person in line and got right on the first sub.

I haven’t been on this since I was on the old submarine voyage when I was a kid. All I can say is “great job!” The imagineers took the technology they developed for the Seas with Nemo at Epcot, combined it with the submarine ride and added a great story. It really beats the clamshell ride at Epcot. Highly recommended.

I then headed straight to the Matterhorn, and since there was only a 5 min wait, I rode it twice (once on each side). I then went to Space Mountain and rode it after a short wait.

I headed over to the Indiana Jones Adventure, but it was still closed since the earthquake last night. So I headed over and rode Big Thunder Mountain followed by Splash Mountain.

I walked around a bit until my lunch reservation at Blue Bayou. I got seated at a table right against the water, so it was relaxing watching the boats drift by and listening to the banjo music. I had the Monte Cristo sandwich, which was not spectacular but fine. I’m glad I had priority seating as they were booked up the entire day.

I then grabbed a Fastpass for Indiana Jones, since it had re-opened, and listened to some different wisecracks and jokes on the Jungle Cruise before buying a Dole Whip and sitting in front of Sleeping Beauty’s castle.

I then did Indy and finally walked back to the room since the crowds were picking up.

All in all, a very nice day so far! The weather is great too.

Enough of me blathering, I’ll post some pictures…

Entrance to Disneyland:

Main Street:

Sleeping Beauty Castle

Finding Nemo

Matterhorn

Space Mountain

View from Space Mountain

Mark Twain

Tom Sawyer / Pirate’s Lair

Big Thunder Mountain

Splash Mountain

Fantasyland

Haunted Mansion

New Orleans

Club 33 entrance (I ate dinner here once)

Small World

When were those Main Street pictures taken? It’s empty!

Toontown

The World of Disney (with GCH rooms on top)

DCA Entrance (for another day…)

Amen to that! I am insanely jealous that you are in Disneyland. How was the Trattoria?

Trattoria was fine. Nothing spectacular, but good for lunch.

How was the new IaSW? When I was there in January it was still closed. Awesome pics as usual. :smile: