DVC - Purchasing Additional Points?

Okay, still doing my homework. Originally, we would have to purchase a minimum of 160 points for AKV. Right now, they are allowing 100 points purchase. That makes it so much more affordable and less scary. So…How does this work. If I purchase 100 points say in October, 2008, and then want to purchase another 50 the next year, say July, 2009, how does that work with the 11 month window? and using the 150 points together or are they always treated as separate?

Hope I’m not rambling, but I’m trying to figure out if it’s too complicated to have separate purchase dates when I’m trying to book my room.

I am not totally sure, but see if you have to think about your use year if both memberships are at the same resort. Ask someone (DVC Mike??) if you can book all your nights stay at 11 months out if you have two contracts with different use years. Am I making any sense?
I will try again: Make sure that you can book an entire vacation based on one use year, instead of having to book something like the first four nights on the first membership, and then book the rest when the other membership’s use year comes up.

You could always request that your guide find you a new membership with the same use year.

I’m not 100% sure either…but…

When we originally purchased in 2000, we got the October use year. Then when we added on points in February 2006, they pro-rated our new add on points and made it so that we got the new points with the October use year as well (even though it was February). When I added on in Feb 2006, they gave the add on points from Oct 2005 too…does that make sense?? I’m sure someone else can answer this more clearly!!

All this Use Year talk always confuses the crap out of me! :laugh:

[QUOTE=bethishooked;879302]Okay, still doing my homework. Originally, we would have to purchase a minimum of 160 points for AKV. Right now, they are allowing 100 points purchase. That makes it so much more affordable and less scary. So…How does this work. If I purchase 100 points say in October, 2008, and then want to purchase another 50 the next year, say July, 2009, how does that work with the 7 month window? and using the 150 points together or are they always treated as separate?

Hope I’m not rambling, but I’m trying to figure out if it’s too complicated to have separate purchase dates when I’m trying to book my room.[/QUOTE]

You will always have 2 contracts to manage but if you buy them through Disney they will be the same use year. You will be able to book a stay with both contracts or you can transfer the points to one contract. If the contracts are at 2 different resorts the points always keep their home resort. In other words, you can’t transfer SSR points to a BCV contract and book BCV at 11 months using all the points. You would have to wait until 7 months out to book BCV with your SSR points.

Did this help?

As DisneyTeacher has said, if you add-on points through Disney, the add-on contract will have the same Use Year as your first contract. If your add-on is for the same resort, the points are essentially combined and can be booked at the 11-mo window at your home resort, or at the 7-mo window at other resorts.

I have a total of 16 DVC contracts, and they all have the same Use Year, but are spread across 4 different resorts. It’s really not that difficult to manage.

Mike,
You put me more at ease. I definitely want to get to the 150/160 point range (or more!), but this way, I can do it at a slower pace, not worrying about such a big purchase all at once.

Another option is to buy a small contract resale. Once you are a member you can add on as few as 25 points cash or 50 points financed directly from DVC.

The whole use year thing is not as bad as it sounds. Member services is real good about looking at which contract to pull points from and when.

Keeping the same month helps keep it simple but you just have to make sure you don’t leave points unused. Even having different resorts is only a difference in the 7 month vs 11 month booking window. So if you want to stay someplace not you home resort you go ahead and make reservations at your home resort then at the 7 month point you switch or wait list for the other location.

Adding on is easy. We just added 100 points and its the same use year as my original contract. No worries, its easy.