DVC rental vs regular rooms

First off, I want to thank those who gave me info about the sofa beds @ DVC rooms.
DBF & I have some questions about the pros & cons of DVC vs. moderate rooms. We would only be able to afford a studio room.
1-We are not really liking the idea of lack of housekeeping: Is this really a big deal to those who have rented DVC rooms. (We just aren’t sure because we haven’t experienced this before.)
2-Not having 2 real beds worries us (especially DBF) as we have had nothing but bad luck with them in other hotels: Holiday Inn etc.
3-The rooms don’t seem larger than those at CS or CBR, but could be just perception on my part.
4-Are we paying more for just a better view?? What are the advantages that we are overlooking?
DBF is saying we should go with what we know & I think we should try something new. Am I right in wanting to try a new place or are our concerns valid & will I regret it if I convince him to go to a DVC resort?
HELP please!

Check OKW. Last time we were there they still had 2 beds in each room. I don’t know if this is still the case with the buildings they are updating, but it is something to think about. I know many members find renting points is the same or cheaper than a mod, and sometimes less than a value depending on the season. And OKW has the biggest rooms compared to the other DVC resorts.
One thing to remember is if a free DDP option package is a must do, renting would not work for you. But with breakfast in the room and the occsaional meal it usually breaks even. Lots of options for food in the room by stopping at a market on arrival or have one of the delivery services bring it to you. We use Garden Grocer. The slight upcharge in prices well covers the cost of a taxi if you are flying in and do not have a car. Their site is really easy to use.
And no thaving Mousekeeping is not a problem. I will ask for extra garbage bags and towels on arrival. They do come on the 4th day if I remmber correctly for a freshen up and they have cleaned the room on the 7th if our stay is longer than that.

The real deal between a studio at a DVC and a moderate room is that at a DVC resort, you are in a more luxurious resort! You will have a much better location and many more amenities. Plus, you have a small kitchen to use (microwave, fridge, coffee pot, etc. that are very nice).

The sofa beds are comfortable, but not as comfortable as a real bed. No denying that. It hasn’t ever been an issue for us.

As for the housekeeping, it is not much of a bother! Our family usually prefers no housekeeping even at a regular hotel, anyway. If I remember correctly, you will get housekeeping services on the 4th day, and you can also arrange for towel service whenever you like. You can also arrange for a housekeeping visit any time you like. You will pay a small fee, but it is easy to arrange teh extras.

We love mods, especially POR. But you can definitely tell a difference in the level of amenities and service at a DVC resort, and we feel it is absolutely worth it.

For instance, you can arrange for groceries to be delivered to your room on check-in day at DVC too! Lovely. One of our favorite parts.

I have been a DVC member since 2008 and we have really enjoyed the hotels and amenities that you get. I have only stayed in one studio and that was at Saratoga springs. It was a really nice room with the kitchenet so we could get small things to enjoy in the room like soda’s microwave items etc. As far at the 2 beds thing I’m not really with you since it is usually the DW and I but the couch does pull out to a sofa so it is great for little ones. The resort was great and very big. We have also stayed at the Grand Californian in Disneyland, and our home resort the Animal Kingdom Villas. In fact we will be going there in May. However, since the first time we got a 1 bedroom we now have to get one everytime we go. It is nice to have the extra room, the washer and dryer in the room, the full kitchen (even thought we have never cooked anything in it besides in the microwave). It is just nice a roomy. Also at AKL the savannah view is great it is fun to watch the animals behaviors right from your balcony.

Before DVC I have been to CBR, and CS and I enjoyed them very much but the fell when you stay at a DVC resort is just wonderful. For me I really feel like home.

I think one of the biggest things to think about is just how much time you plan to spend at the resort. Most of the time, we are only at the resort to sleep. If this is your plan then there is no reason to spend more money. We typically stay at a value for this reason. If you are looking for more amenities you will want to pass on the value or mod.

I would be with DBF on the idea of going with what you know. I tend to think that way too.

Thanks for the help. Free dining has always been what we have lucked out with & if it comes available it may be the deal breaker again. I still would like to try a higher end resort. I will show DBF all of your posts regarding this (as well as the thread on the topic of the sofa bed.) Please keep opinions coming!

Also you do not think twice about the fact that mousekeeping does not stop by often. If you need anything they will bring it to you otherwise just hang your towels up or ask for new one’s. I do not miss the housekeeping everyday.

I agree that if you aren’t spending much time at the resorts the “amenities” they offer aren’t worth the extra $$$. I enjoyed staying at a Moderate. Of course I really enjoyed staying deluxe, but mostly because of the close proximity to the parks. Not a must have for me, but nice to have done it at least once. We are staying at POP again our next trip for 12 nights, and honestly we are park commandos. we’ll sleep in, head to the parks and come home in time for bed. All depends on what your plans are, but if you spend most of your time in the parks, you’ve saved yourself some $$$ for souveniers, or a yummy dinner.

We are definitely “park commando” style people also. I guess I just would like to give a DVC a try, but it will have to be around the same cost as CBR or CS resorts or DBF will absolutely NOT go for it.

[QUOTE=nancyk;1064642]1-We are not really liking the idea of lack of housekeeping: Is this really a big deal to those who have rented DVC rooms. (We just aren’t sure because we haven’t experienced this before.)
2-Not having 2 real beds worries us (especially DBF) as we have had nothing but bad luck with them in other hotels: Holiday Inn etc.
3-The rooms don’t seem larger than those at CS or CBR, but could be just perception on my part.
4-Are we paying more for just a better view?? What are the advantages that we are overlooking?[/QUOTE]

1. We actually like not having housekeeping, as you can stop in your resort at any time for naps, changing, etc. without that worry of someone coming for a “visit.”
  2. The pullouts are very comfortable (as stated in other thread). You just have more room to roam with a couch there. Gives you more of a “home” feel.
  3. I have to say the rooms are probably about the same size, except for OKW, then you would get a larger room, and two queen beds.
  4. If you are staying at AKV, the view is worth every dime! We like to come back to the room at night and have a glass of wine on the balcony while watching the animals. Also, in the morning, definitely eat breakfast on the balcony also. It’s great to have a peaceful place, once you have used up all your energy at the parks.

I truly think you should try it at least once. It’s like a whole new type of vacation!

We stayed OKW DVC via rental in Nov. and total cost including DDP and tickets came out about $400 cheaper than CBR. We plan on renting again for this November at VWL and it will be $83 cheaper than the mods. So depending on the DVC you choose it will actually be cheaper to rent points. We used David’s DVC rental site, dvcrequest.com and he rents at $13/point. We’ve used a member directly in the past and were able to rent for $10/point. OKW was great, 2 queen beds and alot of room with a great balcony. I highly recommend renting points if you want to try out DVC. I think we are now spoiled and hooked on renting.

Thanks guys for the posts, I am going to show DBF these try to sway him. We (uh I mean me) are interested in Animal kingdom due to the view of the animals. Hopefully it works out. I think I have convinced him to not worry about no housekeeping. I said I would get fresh towels if we need them & he doesn`t mind getting rid of garbage. He is not going to be easily swayed about the sofa bed though. We have an email with a PIN for discount for some of the time of stay which will give us about a $500 savings so that is a consideration also.

It’s more like housekeeping light. Once a week full cleaning then trash and fresh towels in between. I don’t miss it, and if you do you can either request extra housekeeping ($$) or stay at a DVC resort through Disney ($$$$$.)

Plus there are places to dump trash at ever DVC resort if you have stuff you need to get rid of like dirty dipers or take out smelly food trash.

Nancy, check out Kidani Village as well as AKV… especially if you are a giraffe lover. You will not be sorry about booking AK (either building!) –

This last trip, we were in BWV, our home resort, and it was a bit chilly and very crowded, so we did focus more on the resort than usual. We spent a lot of time in the hot tub with cocktails, watching sports on TV at ESPN, balcony-perching on New Year’s when everyone else was having to leave for a long trip back to their own hotels (heehee!) – Having the luxuries at BWV made a really, really nice haven for when the parks weren’t our top option! :happy: