DVC through Disney or Resale

What are the disadvatages of doing Resale?

Resales are restricted on where you can boost outside of WDW vacation properties. Here is an article Disney to Restrict DVC Resales

Also, many of the informational DVC sites say you have to purchase a minimum of 160 points from DVC and you can buy less from a reseller, but that is not correct. We bought our DVC last year through Disney and we only purchased 140 points. We also were given an extra 140 points as an incentive when we purchased, which basically backdated our membership so we got an extra year.

I would imagine they are always running some kind of incentive to facilitate sales.

You just can’t use your points to stay anywhere but the DVC Resorts (like you couldn’t book a Disney cruise or trade out through Disney to their “Concierge Collection” and the like… but that’s not to say that you can’t trade your DVC points with someone else’s RCI points through a Timeshare Trade forum). However, the staying at the DVC Resorts is really the best use of points, anyway. And if that’s all that you want to do, Resale might be a good option for you.

The other downside to resale is that it takes a little bit longer to acquire your ownership (more steps to go through… counter offer, owner accepts, Disney agrees, etc… it’s a little bit more work, but very well may be worth it to you), and the expiration date is sooner than it would be if you purchased brand new. You may or may not be able to use all of your points the year you purchase, depending on your contract (but on the plus side, you could have previously banked points ready for you to use).

Those are the only differences I know through research. I’m sure longtime owners like rlcarmichael who I believe has purchased both directly through Disney and through resale will have more information to share.

So, basically…

1. We could not use it for cruises (my wife HATES open water)
  2. on the Disney Adventures
  3. We could only use at WDW, the one in CA, the one in HI, Vero Beach, and Hilton Head

but the deal is we only want it for Disney, with maybe an occasional beach trip and a dream of HI.

Also, what is RCI??

Lastly, which resorts have room for 5

For the points we want…I would HAVE to finance if I did Disney…If we went resale I could pay cash most likely. It just seems like a no brainer for us if all we want are the DVC resorts.

[QUOTE=dadofthree;1121729]So, basically…

1. We could not use it for cruises (my wife HATES open water)
  2. on the Disney Adventures
  3. We could only use at WDW, the one in CA, the one in HI, Vero Beach, and Hilton Head

but the deal is we only want it for Disney, with maybe an occasional beach trip and a dream of HI.

Also, what is RCI??

Lastly, which resorts have room for 5[/QUOTE]

RCI is the vacation exchnage company you use when using points outside of DVC resorts.

If I am not mistaken, you will have to go with a 1 bedroom suite to fit 5. The studios only fit 4. This will increase the number of points you would have to buy to cover you. MouseOwners.com - The Web’s Most Friendly and Reliable Source for Information on the Disney Vacation Club (DVC) is a really good site for DVC information. They also have point charts so you can get an idea what you would need to buy. We are only a family of 4 so we were able to purchase less points to cover us.

One thing to consider is your needs may change over the years, as to where you want to travel. We decided to go through Disney because we figured at some point we would want to travel to other places, plus we wanted to buy into BLT because of the location. We figured if we did want to sell this location would be easier to sell. We did not find BLT for sale from a reseller. This is because Disney has the right to first refusal on their DVC contracts and they will buy back the better selling, more desirable properties so they do not go to a reseller.

Read up and then you can make the best decision for your family.

Not all 1-bedroom units will accommodate 5 people (well, not with the existing infrastructure… perhaps they allow rollaways) - only the newest at BLT and AKL (and most likely GF).

Also note that there are less BLT and AKL properties available right now for resale, and if you’re planning to go at a busy time of the year (Christmas/New Year’s/Easter), it’s going to be difficult to book a 1-bedroom for BLT or AKL at 7 months out (you get 11 months for the property you purchase).

We bought through resale this past year and couldn’t be happier! We saved over 40% vs. buying direct on our BLT contract. The biggest downside was just how long it took to close - lots of waiting!! But so worth it to save the $$. If purchasing thru Disney your points are available next day.

We understand that we can’t use our points towards cruises, other Disney resorts, etc as mentioned before on this thread. However after our research it appeared this would not be the best use of our points anyway. We’ll just pay out of pocket for the occasional cruise we may book.

Happy Researching :slight_smile:

I am leaning HEAVY toward resale, I am looking for the perfect package and have time to search it…want one with some banked points ;-). I have been told its a 8 to 10 week process.

AKV studios can hold 5 people if I am not mistaken. The wait time of about 10 weeks is about right. It took us about 2 months for our purchase to go through the cycle. We bought in '07 but we are very happy to just stay at Disney resorts. We stayed at the VB resort in May and it was fantastic. In another year or two we will book a trip to the HHI resort. Not sure if we will ever make it to VGC or Aulani but its nice to know the option is there for the future.

There is a chat room dedicated to DVC owners who speak very highly of resale. It’s MouseOwners.com - The Web’s Most Friendly and Reliable Source for Information on the Disney Vacation Club (DVC). There is a lot of information there if you want to do more research. I bought direct from Disney because that’s the only way I knew. After researching, my next add on will be via resale. But, do your homework, and see what fits your family needs best.

I just wanted to clarify this statement. If you do buy resale, you still can travel to hundreds of places throughout. Here’s a quote pertaining to the most recent change to DVC resales:

Instead, such owners will be allowed to use their points only for stays in one of Disney’s 11 time-share resorts, seven of which are at Walt Disney World, or in third-party hotels available through time-share exchange operator RCI.

Yep. Buying resale has some restruictions: DVC resorts only and RCI trades. There is a $95 reservation fee for trades too.

I’ve bought all of my points direct. There have always been promotions that made the difference in direct and resale almost the same. But the prices have climbed and resale values dropped to widen the gap.m Ironicly, that pushes me towards the resale market for add ons now as I have plenty of purchased directly points to use if I want to stay at non DVC resorts or use for cruises.

Here’s a secret…DVC sells add ons as low as 25 points cash of 50 points financed. If you buy any sized contract resale you are a member and can then add chunks as wanted. Harder to add at existing “sold out” resorts but not impossible.

I have done the research for our circumstance and resale is looking better and better. I HATE financing things with a passion and choose not to for most purchases. DVC, is on that brink of just too much for me to liquidate some assets and pay cash…and have to finance. I just cant bring myself to finance a vacation.

I know everyone has different circumstances and comforts, but I have to tell you…its more than just a vacation. Its the memories. I had to finance a part of my purchase, and I constantly say its the best purchase I have ever made. Not only am I able to enjoy Disney with my immediate family, but every year I get to have a Mom and Sister trip, to which I have never laughed so hard and so much in my life. To me, its worth that tiny payment every month. Every one picks and choses what they want to spend their money on. This purchase was perfect for me!

Hey Mr. Richard Carmichael,

So the wife and I were talking while looking at some of the resale DVC sites. Is there a maximum amount of points you can buy?

[QUOTE=dadofthree;1122234]Hey Mr. Richard Carmichael,

So the wife and I were talking while looking at some of the resale DVC sites. Is there a maximum amount of points you can buy?[/QUOTE]

At one time I heard 2,000 but I know there are people with more. And there are ALWAYS ways around things like that.

I reality, the maximum is limited by your willingness to pay annual dues. At say $5 per point annual membership dues to hold 2k in points and you are looking at nearly $1k per month in dues.

I think that the average is closer to 300 points or so. We started at 200 and we have WAY more points than that now. Addonitis is an expensive addiction.