DW w/out the kids

Has anyone done DW w/o the kids? I have a 14, 11, & 9 year old. I want to go for my 40th B-day this year. The cool thing is we’ll be going during free dining. Are we being selfish? We’ve taken them 2 years in a row. Feeling a little guilty.

I’ve been last year for my bday without my kids. I didn’t feel guilty as I take them every year often 2 to 3 times a year. Go and enjoy your bday!

We live in Seattle and would be leaving the kids with my mom who’s coming in from Hawaii. We plan to stay for 6 days. Thanks for the thumbs up.

DH and I went last year, and it’s a totally different experience. We couldn’t believe how quickly we could walk from Toon Town to the Haunted Mansion, then realized it was because we weren’t dragging 3 kids and/or trying to maneuver a stroller (or two) through that madhouse!

Although I missed them while we were there for 4 days, it was also really nice to do what we wanted to do, to ride the big rides together for once, to eat nice meals without worrying about someone spilling something or having to go to the bathroom right when I just got back from taking the first one.

If you have the opportunity and someone to watch the kids, I absolutely encourage you to take advantage of it. You won’t regret it.

I would be very upset if my parents went to WDW without me…

But I totally think you should do it! :laugh:

We went twice when the kids were youngish(around 8 - 12 ). We were taking them 6 months later so we didn’t feel bad about not taking them. I’d say go. The dumbest thing was sending them postcards. We got home before the postcards got there. :laugh: And yes, it is so great not to be a pack mule loaded with kid stuff. And back then you didn’t even bag checks. Now that we are old, we love just going thru the “no bags” line.

I think you should GO!! WDW is an entirely different experience without kids!! My DH and I went in 2007 w/o DD and it was a great trip!! We’re planning on going back without the kids in May 2011 too, for our 10th anniversary!

Have fun!!

GO!!! and please don’t feel guilty, you deserve it!!! You will have an AMAZING time. My DH and I did this last August for our Anniversary and had the time of our lives. We explained to our kids (6 and 8 at the time) what we were doing and why we were going and they were fine with it. We took the Keys to the Kingdom Tour, which we loved and we also did the Segway tour at Epcot, this was a highlight of our trip, my DH had always wanted to do this.

You only turn 40 once and there’s no better place to celebrate it!

GO, GO, GO.

I cannot begin to tell you how relaxed you will be. WDW is totally different without the kids. Our youngest is now 20 so it is not a problem, but when we did we got back home we were relaxed. You deserve it if you can swing it.

Last fall we went to Disneyland w/o our kids 2/4/6 and it was a lot of fun, but really hard to be so far away from them!! We were gone for 5 days and as all other previous posts, Disney is really fun to try w/o kids. You get a different perspective and can do so much more.
I’m glad we did it once, but I wouldn’t do it again, I just missed them so much! Sappy me.:blush:
But I say go for it…you have to try it at least once!!

It’s not selfish. It’s an opportunity to concentrate on each other. It also gives you a chance to do some things you might like to do but don’t because the kids wouldn’t be interested. Having your mom take care of then is a Godsend!
There’s always next year for the kids.
GO FOR IT!

We did it when DS was a baby and then finally got back about 8 years later for his first trip.

Go and have a great time doing all that you want to do for your Birthday!!! You will feel guilty of course, but it will be worth it to be able to relax.

Absolutly go!!! You will not regret it. Do not feel gulity about leaving them at home. Enjoy yourselves and have a blast.

Go, go, go, go!!! You deserve this time together and it is fun. You can notice things you never did before. You can stoll through the World Showcase without hearing " I want to go ride something".

I would go too, although my daughter would probably hate me for life.

my opinion is even if it would be hard because you missed them…it would be great been married going on 9years and my DW and I still have not been anwhere yet by ourselfs except for a quick meal out once in a while…a kid free vacation…all I would have to say is I love you kids but have fun with grandma…and when and where…I am there…haha

I feel a little different about this subject. Me personally, I could not do it. I have two kids that are growing faster than I could imagine 12 and 8 (today). We have such a blast when we go as a family, I couldn’t do it w/o them. There are other places that my DH and I go for our anniversary and such.

By no means am I saying that you are horrible and making a wrong choice, I am just saying that I could not do it. I hope your WDW stay is magical and fun!

We did it and I would gladly do it again- I misseed the kids but it was so nice to have a weekend where Ed and I could be just us as a couple and share our favorite place without the fear of meltdowns, picky crabby and tired kids and we did all the stuff that the kids tend to not enjoy because we could. It was magical in a different way and something that I will treasure always.

I think you should go and enjoy your birthday. I don’t think it’s selfish to want to spend a special birthday in a special way. I am sure you do many wonderful things for your children, and make the sacrifices most parents make for their children. I don’t know you or your children, of course, so I can’t imagine how they would react to the news, but hopefully you will be able to explain it so that they understand, and are OK with it.

[QUOTE=babets;955210]I feel a little different about this subject. Me personally, I could not do it. I have two kids that are growing faster than I could imagine 12 and 8 (today). We have such a blast when we go as a family, I couldn’t do it w/o them. There are other places that my DH and I go for our anniversary and such.

By no means am I saying that you are horrible and making a wrong choice, I am just saying that I could not do it. I hope your WDW stay is magical and fun![/QUOTE]

I couldn’t do it either. I’m seeing my son grow up so quickly, in the blink of an eye he’s going to be in college and then out on his own. I would feel so bad leaving him at home knowing how much he would want to be there with us. We’ll take those adult only trips when he’s older, for now we’re all about the family trips.