Early December Mess

OMG - we have been considering a trip to The World around December 6th till the 9th to see all the decorations. Last year we did this same thing but a week later.

We just called to check on DVC studios. NONE are available at all! NONE, ZERO, THE EMPTY SET. That surprised us. We have other lodging options but my questions are this:

Is this just because of the Xmas Parade being filmed?

How busy will all of WDW be in terms of crowds?

It sounds like it will be crowded and if so, I would prefer that we change trip dates.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks as always.

Wow - I just went over to the DVC site and tried too - you’re right - no room at any of the Inns! Maybe Dana could give a heads up what’s going on.

isn’t that pop warner weekend?

That’s a busy DVC time. The parks might not be too crowded (compared to closer to Christmas) but DVC is usually booked for December pretty early because of the low point cost. It’s the cheapest time for DVC members so its pretty popular. I bet all the regular resorts have rooms because it’s not really a busy time for WDW, just DVC.

If that turns out to be true, I would be very happy!

that is not only pop warner weekend end, but also the weekend they usually tape the Christmas parade. We were there last year the first weekend in December and Friday, Saturday and Sunday, it was extremely crowded, but the rest of the weeks was better.

Was it really crowded beyond the Magic Kingdom or was most of the crowd at the MK?

We were there last year that same week. Met some Pop Warner parents, and also parent of kids in the parade, which was pretty cool. Didn’t really seem to impact the parks that much, though. Pop Warner participants had their own bus stops and busses at the resort (CB), and they were over at Wide World of Sports most of the day. MK was maybe the most crowded at parade time, but since my DW is deaf, we had a reserved place to stand with the interpreters, so we were okay.

We arrived on Friday, late morning headed to Epcot, it wasn’t crowded, where there were bumper to bumper people, but later in the day it did get very crowded.

Saturday and Sunday was the taping of the parade, we headed to Hollywood Studio on Saturday and it was CROWDED… saturday night after dinner we headed back for osborn lights, we couldn’t move so we went back to the hotel early. Sunday we headed to AK, it was pretty peaceful till about noon. Monday morning was busy, but then it was peaceful till the opening of Fantasyland and the reopening of test track. We picked a great week.

I’m a regular stalker of reservations for rent and transfer on MouseOwners.com, and I remember seeing a lot of early December reservations advertised. I’m not sure why… I think so that you can visit at Christmastime without the high prices of Christmas break.

It’s not just a popular DVC week, it’s a popular week in general. I would go the week after personally.

NOOOOOOOO…the week after is even worse. <smack> :laugh:

The first two weeks of Dec are slower. It USED to be REALLY slow until SOME PEOPLE let the cat out of the bag. :ohmy:

I generally book 11 months out for the 2nd weekend and book 3 rooms at BLT. I screwed up and booked a day late in Jan this year and only got the view I wanted for 2 of the units.

Regarding regular resorts, there is indeed availability. We have gone the week after in previous years, but this year the rates switch from Fall season to Peak season on December 13. That is substantially higher.

wow do you have the option to change your week? if you really want a specific resort it might be better to change…get the resort you want and maybe less crowded

Last year we went at around that same time,had some trouble getting availability.If I remember it is a time where you are required to use less points,so people book way out,but even though we were able to get dates we preferred it seemed availability the closer we got to cancellation penalties,the availability became more plentiful,also trying to get any info from Disney on percentage of DVC stays vs hotel side stays is virtually impossible,yes I know the mantra but one food and wine stay at SSR a very large percentage of the rooms where for a convention in the Orlando area…so my advice is to constantly monitor the days you might want the closer you get,but if you are like me and definitely have to fly to the world that is extremely risky…good luck

Many thanks to everyone for their help. It so nice to be able to get help from our small but happy MB community.

An update on our plans:

We decided to keep our trip Dec 6th till the 9th for a variety reasons (family constraints and such). We abandoned getting some DVC reservations. We have three families (5, 4 and 4) so we booked one room for 5 at POR and two rooms for 4 at POFQ. That way we are close but get to enjoy two resorts. My family has never stayed at POFQ so we were eager to try it out.

In terms of flights we really stepped into poop (good thing). We try to fly Jetblue all the time from the NYC area as we find them to have the very best customer service (including a free bag). However this time we booked Delta out of LGA for $198 each. That is the cheapest that we have paid in 5+ years! The day after we booked, the flights went up to $252. I felt like a freakin’ genius! :laugh:

We have annual passes so that is set and paid for.

We are thinking of trying to get Candlelight Processional Dinner arrangements and see the show from good seats. We have never done that and Whoopi Goldberg is narrating on the 6th and 7th.

The only wrinkle at the moment is an internal debate of whether we should try to be a part of the taping of the Xmas parade on Saturday, December 7th or avoid that as it may be a mess. If any of you have been a part of the taping before, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!!

when you become a DVC member, you would think that you are put to the top of the list when it comes to treatment… quite the contrary. they only have a certain number of rooms set aside for DVC members, the rest is free game… oh and try to request a room close to the pool now, or something with a view!! FAT CHANCE

if some dopey interloper wanders onto the disney website and pays cash, he or she gets preferential treatment. i have seen it first hand…
a friend of mine who is NOT a DVC member decided to come to old key west with his family at the last minute, to be there at the same time as my family and i. i checked in first, and within the same hour he followed. i requested a water view near the pool that was SHOT DOWN. he comes waltzing in and they gave him 3 options on the SAME REQUEST. My family and i have been members since year two of DVC, its turned to absolute garbage…

dont fall for the trickery of newsletters, complimentary $2 hats and free balloons… they have sooooome scam going on.

ok i have vented, thanks for listening, all is forgiven, just please hear my plea disney!!!

[QUOTE=WiseguyJohnny;1137155]when you become a DVC member, you would think that you are put to the top of the list when it comes to treatment… quite the contrary. they only have a certain number of rooms set aside for DVC members, the rest is free game… oh and try to request a room close to the pool now, or something with a view!! FAT CHANCE

if some dopey interloper wanders onto the disney website and pays cash, he or she gets preferential treatment. i have seen it first hand…
a friend of mine who is NOT a DVC member decided to come to old key west with his family at the last minute, to be there at the same time as my family and i. i checked in first, and within the same hour he followed. i requested a water view near the pool that was SHOT DOWN. he comes waltzing in and they gave him 3 options on the SAME REQUEST. My family and i have been members since year two of DVC, its turned to absolute garbage…

dont fall for the trickery of newsletters, complimentary $2 hats and free balloons… they have sooooome scam going on.

ok i have vented, thanks for listening, all is forgiven, just please hear my plea disney!!![/QUOTE]

I too have seen it first hand.Another irritating aspect being DVC is being there at very low occupancy and asking for a room upgrade and being told sorry none are available,but witnessing a patron staying on the hotel side of checking in getting one,now that’s a perk that should not be denied to DVC members.

I sadly have to agree. During the buying process of DVC you’re treated like a regular Disney Prince or Princess. Once you’re in - it’s back to the kitchens for you Cinderella!

I actually have to disagree. I love our DVC membership. I think the hard part is that you need to plan way in advance and many people are not wired that way. To us it has been a wonderful investment.