Earth Hour

Did WDW (and DL, but I’m not making duplicate threads) do anything for Earth Hour? Was anyone there or heard anything?

I can’t imagine the major lights being turned off. But one can hope that if Sydney can turn off the Opera House, China can turn off the Bird’s Nest, and NYC’s skyline can go dark (well… dim), that Disney can do something.

I hope at least. I’ve Googled and searched Flickr, but can’t find anything.

I am curious to see this as well. They had to do something…anyone?

I’d love to know too, especially since they really push ‘Enviromentality’ and such. I looked on their press page & there were no press releases about it, googled it… nothing, looked on AllEars… nada, but I did send Deb Willis a message on Facebook so maybe she’ll know. I’ll relay any info I hear. :smile:

I did find this article, but not necessarily directly related: Disney announces 5-year goals to go green : TerraCurve.com - Responsible travel news, places, people and events.

I think Disney was pretty much asleep on this one.

The pictures I saw show a few token things turned off or down but not that much else. I think this was a bust. More feel good than really doing anything.

Well I cant say anything. I missed this also

Aw, that kinda makes me sad. Especially how much Disney tries to push recycling and all (which for a theme park their size is a huge undertaking).

:frown:

That’s disappointing. Disney could have really made a statement.

I’ll be completely honest and say that I truly believe Disney makes many conservation & environmental statements without having to participate in some things like this. I did read on one forum that “Earth Hour” was during several of their nighttime shows & parades; in both WDW & DL so lights were already dimmed in the parks. I guess that incinuates that any slight effort may not have been effective.

I didn’t even HEAR or know anything about ‘Earth Hour’ until I saw on the local news that the Empire State building turned the top lights off. Only a couple buildings in Times Square participated, etc.

I do believe Disney could still do a lot more to help the environment BUT this wasn’t something that I would have guessed they’d make a huge participation effort.

^ Oh, I totally believe they do a ton of stuff, especially behind the scenes. It would’ve been nice for them to show it up front, especially during an event that the entire globe was participating in. I tried looking up stuff from the other global parks, and couldn’t find much.

Obviously turning off park lights is a huge safety issue. I guess I was expecting more of a deal where big bright lights are dimmed or something, with a sign nearby explaining their commitment to the prevention/reversal of global warming, what you can do at home, etc. I don’t know, maybe I was looking for too much. :confused:

I think Earth hour could have been a bigger success if they had been able to turn more things off around the world! I know that over here, Ikea dimmed it’s lights and in Liverpool they turned off the lights that lit up some of our landmarks like St.Georges Hall etc. Nothing grand but at least its was all something!

I realize Disney dims the lights for parades etc already… but that’s even more of a reason for them to step it up a bit for Earth Hour! That’s like me saying, “Oh, I’ll leave the light in my closet off for Earth Hour… even though I had no plans to turn it on.” :laugh:

Kippage, I think signs would have been a great idea! Imagine how many people they could have informed about Earth Hour and therefore environmentality in general if they had just posted ONE sign at the entrance… :closedeye

I do appreciate Disney’s other efforts. I think the little cards in the hotel rooms about how much water is wasted washing towels that have been used once are great, and whenever I’m in Animal Kingdom I am overwhelmed with info about conservation… I guess I was just surprised that with all their other efforts for the environment, they didn’t do more for an event that was recognized worldwide.

[QUOTE=Kippage;948336]Did WDW (and DL, but I’m not making duplicate threads) do anything for Earth Hour? Was anyone there or heard anything?

I can’t imagine the major lights being turned off. But one can hope that if Sydney can turn off the Opera House, China can turn off the Bird’s Nest, and NYC’s skyline can go dark (well… dim), that Disney can do something.

I hope at least. I’ve Googled and searched Flickr, but can’t find anything.[/QUOTE]

My lights were off for about six days in September (thank you Gustave). Can that count for me?

Yup…definately. You defiantely did your part even if you didn’t realize at the time that you did.:heart:

Many people don’t know that all the garbage at the parks is hand sorted so that anything that can be recycled does get recycled. This is done by our hard working custodial cast members. This a thankless job that they do every day. Disney goes above and beyond with enviromentality.

Also this year it was announced at the stockholder’s meeting that even more focus would be on enviromentality this year than ever before.

[QUOTE=vlogilvie;949133]Many people don’t know that all the garbage at the parks is hand sorted so that anything that can be recycled does get recycled. This is done by our hard working custodial cast members. This a thankless job that they do every day. Disney goes above and beyond with enviromentality.

Also this year it was announced at the stockholder’s meeting that even more focus would be on enviromentality this year than ever before.[/QUOTE]

Ya know . . . every time I am visiting with my Dad (Mr. Green! :laugh:) We have this conversation when we see the 1000s of mickey head trays and lids going in the garbage at the resorts . . . we both agreed that SOMEWHERE, there was SOMEONE sorting it all . . . thanks for letting us know.