El Pirata y el Perico to be renamed, rethemed

I don’t know why this bothers me, I think because it is such a throwback type of name and decor. Because this counter service was seasonal, It didn’t succumb to some of the other goofiness that has infected adventureland (Tiki room UNM, spitting camels). Ah well…Nostalgie, vous créez en moi un coeur lourd.

from mouseplanet.com

…Playing the name game to better link with the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, El Pirata y el Perico in the Adventureland has been renamed Tortuga Tavern. While decór and theming will be updated to reflect the latest in piratical appearance, the location will remain seasonal and the menu will also remain the same.

Well, I do like the spitting camels…I would think Disney is trying to tie it into the Pirates of the Caribbean theme.

I’m glad the menu is staying the same… I liked being able to find tacos in MK occasionally. I’m not really a fan of the name change, though. I think Taberna de Tortuga would be more appropriate…

I think the POTC tie in is OK. The movies are successful. But sometimes the movie tie ins seem overly optimistic i.e. Dinosaur, Stitch’s Boring escape. I like WDW for the classics and the few movies which become canon.

I agree that they do go overboard - Stitch and Nemo come to mind. It seems everywhere you turn now you’re running into Nemo. Now, I like the little clownfish - but he’s EVERYWHERE!

How about " Tortuga Tacos !!! " :laugh::pirate::laugh:

Sounds appetizing… :blow: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The name alone already does as much.
el Pirata y el Perico means The Pirate and The Parrot and a Perico is a small parrot/parakeet found in Cuba, which is a Caribbean island.

Leave the name and just theme it harder to the ride/movie than it is now.

In 12 trips to MK, I have never seen this eatery open. Like to try it.

you took the words right out of my mouth

What does it matter, it’s never open. We go in the summer and rarely see it open and the parks are packed.

Very true. We actually found it open one day and had lunch there - the taco salad was pretty good. The next year we noticed it was open again - and they were selling burgers and fries! What the heck was that!? Never did find out why. Now they’re back to the old menu - but with a new name. Oy.

I agree with Disney Teacher. It has never once been open when we were there. I don’t even think of it anymore when we are coming up with choices of where we want to eat. Hopefully with this revamping, they will also revamp their schedule.

To me better use of the space would be an adventure meal for boys. With characters like Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Jack Sparrow, etc. My DS 4 would be in heaven! Actually we would all love it. Great place to eat after going the Pirate League would be wonderful!

I’ve seen the place open many many times (as a candy distribution center during Halloween parties:tongue:)

Or is that Pecos Bill’s. Now I’m not sure.

I did want to give the experimental buffet a try though.
Too bad they called off the experiment, I guess it wasn’t a success.

we also never find this place open… and we have looked… last time we were there it was covered up.

I never seen it open, but then I usually go in the off season times.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1065877]The name alone already does as much.
el Pirata y el Perico means The Pirate and The Parrot and a Perico is a small parrot/parakeet found in Cuba, which is a Caribbean island.

Leave the name and just theme it harder to the ride/movie than it is now.[/QUOTE]

Soundgod you are right! The one and only time I have ever seen this place open was Oct. 2009 during the MNSSHP. They were distributing candy there.

I’ve never seen it open during our summer trips, and I wanted to give it a try. But one time we were there it was the site of a character meet/greet. I think we saw Peter Pan there. My kids liked it.

It just hit me that when we there in May(2010), It was open…
Our first day at the MK we walked up on the Pirate Tutorial and afterwords we walked over to the POTC gift shop and looked across to see it open. Never thought of going to eat there though…:pirate: