Enlighten me, please

This may be a really stupid question, but I don’t get something.

I always hear how it is more cost effective to buy an annual pass rather than a pass for a 10 day trip.

I paid $330 per person, or something like that, for 2-10 day admission tickets. the annual pass is sold for just under $ 600 per person. Unless I know that I am going several times a year, where does this make sense?

What am I missing?

The reason I am asking is because I thought I might turn my reg. tickets into annual passes in order to take advantage of the TIW offer.

I do not know… but I’m hoping someone can enlighten me, too. It’s a good question.

[QUOTE=Dopey;1110035]This may be a really stupid question, but I don’t get something.

I always hear how it is more cost effective to buy an annual pass rather than a pass for a 10 day trip.

I paid $330 per person, or something like that, for 2-10 day admission tickets. the annual pass is sold for just under $ 600 per person. Unless I know that I am going several times a year, where does this make sense?

What am I missing?

The reason I am asking is because I thought I might turn my reg. tickets into annual passes in order to take advantage of the TIW offer.[/QUOTE]

—I have thought about this too, but could not come up with it being anywhere close to cost effective unless you plan to go back within that time frame. I remember reading a breakeven chart somewhere—but can’t find it now…

A friend who insists on just going ahead and doing the minimal research and making a decision insists that if you are going in the parks for 7 days or more, the annual pass is better because of the perks—I haven’t found that to be true—I just let her lose her money because you can’t tell her otherwise.

I actually was going to post a question asking about the pros and cons of Magic your Way tickets vs Length of stay tickets…

I have an annual pass, which works for me. First off, I own DVC so I get $100 off which makes it a little more affordable. I know I will go two times a year, one with my Mom and Sister trip (no boys allowed!) and then one with my family. Two trips alone makes it more cost effective. But, then just last week, my SIL said they are going to Disney for a conference and there’s space available in the room if I want to go. Well, with having the annual pass, that allows me to really consider going, as tickets and room are already paid for. I just have to come up with airfare. As far as perks of the A/P, they do offer room discounts to A/P members (I don’t follow closely anymore), and you get 10% all store purchases. So, it really depends on what your travel plans are. I really love having it.

That has to be it. IF YOU KNOW THAT YOU WILL GO MORE THAN ONCE, I.E. MORE THAN 10 NIGHTS, IT IS WORTH IT.

Although we have gone twice a couple of years in a row and both times for 20 days each year. It would have been worth it, if I had then also purchased the TIW. Otherwise not better because it still is double of what I pay now.

I am glad that there are other people out there that were thinking my way or understanding it my way. I must not be off with this question.

Smallworld, go a head and start a post about your question

If an annual passholder room discount is offered you can save hundred’s of dollars on your resort stay.

I did the math a couple of years ago, so I’m not sure if it’s still relevant, but the break-even point for the annual pass was 12 days.

Now, if you’re getting that $100 off DVC discount, then the break even point will obviously different. Same for Florida residents - they have a significant discount (we were AP holders as FL residents)

I love this kind of stuff, so just for you guys, I’m going to do go back and do the math with updated prices!

Figuring out the best Disney deals gives me a serious headache - that’s why I keep Dana on speed-dial.:happy: We buy annual passes only because we get $100. off as DVC members.

As usual (and this is getting frickin’ scary) our reasoning is the about the same as Beth’s. For instance, this year, we purchased APs in October when we were there for 8 days. Then, unexpectedly, DH and I went back for a week in November - and we are now tentatively planning to go in early October - probably for a week - so that means we will have gotten 22 days worth of park entertainment. That’s a pretty good deal.

Here’s a link to my spreadsheet - http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab82/VicShing/DisneyBreak-Even.jpg

As you can see, if you are getting regular 10-Day passes without the Park Hopper option, the AP is not going to break even anytime soon.

If you are getting the PH option, the AP makes a little more sense… if you are going to either come back to Disney within the year, spending at least 15 days in the parks. Or, you could decide if TIW is worth the loss of spending a little extra per park day (of course, we can’t forget that TIW is another $75, correct?).

The premium AP makes very little sense unless you visit WDW multiple times a year for lengthy periods of time and really enjoy waterparks.

When the AP does make sense is when you would purchase the No Expiration option, but would return within the year. In that case, you’d really only have to visit WDW 9 days during the year in order to break even.

The AP only makes sense to me if you are going to visit WDW at least twice in one 12 month period and use it for discounts on rooms, food etc.

Ooooohhhh, not to threadjack, but that conference my SIL is going to is sometime in October, and you may be there in Oct…we may finally get to meet!:laugh:

that’s a big “IF”. When we go there’s usually no discount

[QUOTE=llama;1110058]Figuring out the best Disney deals gives me a serious headache - that’s why I keep Dana on speed-dial.:happy: We buy annual passes only because we get $100. off as DVC members.

As usual (and this is getting frickin’ scary) our reasoning is the about the same as Beth’s. For instance, this year, we purchased APs in October when we were there for 8 days. Then, unexpectedly, DH and I went back for a week in November - and we are now tentatively planning to go in early October - probably for a week - so that means we will have gotten 22 days worth of park entertainment. That’s a pretty good deal.[/QUOTE]

Yes, good deal. But going more than once a year, for us, is a fluke. So, no pass for us and no TIW :pinch:

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1110059]Here’s a link to my spreadsheet - http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab82/VicShing/DisneyBreak-Even.jpg

As you can see, if you are getting regular 10-Day passes without the Park Hopper option, the AP is not going to break even anytime soon.

If you are getting the PH option, the AP makes a little more sense… if you are going to either come back to Disney within the year, spending at least 15 days in the parks. Or, you could decide if TIW is worth the loss of spending a little extra per park day (of course, we can’t forget that TIW is another $75, correct?).

The premium AP makes very little sense unless you visit WDW multiple times a year for lengthy periods of time and really enjoy waterparks.

When the AP does make sense is when you would purchase the No Expiration option, but would return within the year. In that case, you’d really only have to visit WDW 9 days during the year in order to break even.[/QUOTE]

I knew it. Thanks Tootsie :happy: errrr…:pinch:

Other options for DOD/Military folk is buying tix at Shades of Green.

A 10 day Stars and Stripes ticket which is good for 11 consecutive days includes all 4 parks, PH, WP and DQ for $372.00 for adult, 354.00 ages 3-9.

We can also buy an AP for $509.00 for adult, $469 ages 3-9. A Premium is $637.00/$587.00.

We will laways buy 1 AP so we can buy a TiW card. By the 3rd day we have spent the $350.00 on food and drink to start to break even. By day 6 we have always made the difference up between the SoG SS tix and the AP.

We usually buy an AP as our trips are 21 days+. Then we try and take our second vacation before the expiry of the AP, so if the first vacation is September then the following year has to be August. That way we get two vacations (42 days pp) out of one AP. Plus the AP discounts too. Disney don’t make much money out of us really especially if we take free dining too.

Wow, you really get your money worth. I’m more on the line with Beth, we own DVC so we do get a discount on the tickets. But I only buy the AP’s if I know we are going twice or more in the same year.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1110059]Here’s a link to my spreadsheet - http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab82/VicShing/DisneyBreak-Even.jpg

When the AP does make sense is when you would purchase the No Expiration option, but would return within the year. In that case, you’d really only have to visit WDW 9 days during the year in order to break even.[/QUOTE]

I just did this same math earlier this week! We were considering buying one annual pass for our group this September. We are a group of 6 adults and thought about one of us purchasing the AP, then getting a TiW card and saving everyone 20% on dining. With the spreadsheet I made, we broke even, so I decided against it. We’re only going for 8 days, but with that many people eating at table service restaurants, the discount adds up fast.