Epcot lights

we just returned from wdw and while we had an incredible time, there were some things that i was unpleasantly surprised by. one in particular was that there were no lights in epcot behind the fountain leading up to the christmas tree. in years past, one of my favorite things to do was to just listen to “carol of the bells” and watch the lights dance in time with the music. this year, all gone. why would they take that away?? anyone know why? as me and my wife, and daughter were walking in the area where the lights once were, we overheard more than one other group of people talking about the missing lights… if this was a cost cutting measure, it was a very poor decision.

Music from Epcot’s Lights of Winter returns to Fountain of Nations – A Mom and The Mouse – Orlando Sentinel

answered my own question… just seems so wrong…

Are you wondering about the lights you walked under between FW and WS? If so they went away last year. WDW said they were not in good enough shape to use anymore.

The pathway looks so dark now it really sucks. The dancing lights was a highlight of the park IMHO.

There used to be 4 arches and the story is that one of the four was damaged beyond repair prior to the 2009 holiday season by a forklift in the warehouse. It was determined that it couldn’t be repaired and it couldn’t be replaced (why, I don’t know) and that the other three were now out of date.
I think they were also starting to have some problems with crowd flow around them as well.
I know that’s the reason they gave for discontinuing the nightly tree lighting by the characters.

Crowd control there was nothing to the crowd controll after Fantasimic at Disneyland that area is a madhouse. At least there are many ways to get around the tree lighting with the character at WDW.

I agree. My DH and I would sit at “our” bench and watch the lights and the fountain for a good hour or so. At least as long as Boss isn’t in the fountain, then we run…LOL

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1059180]There used to be 4 arches and the story is that one of the four was damaged beyond repair prior to the 2009 holiday season by a forklift in the warehouse. It was determined that it couldn’t be repaired and it couldn’t be replaced (why, I don’t know) and that the other three were now out of date.
I think they were also starting to have some problems with crowd flow around them as well.
I know that’s the reason they gave for discontinuing the nightly tree lighting by the characters.[/QUOTE]

If I can buy a string of lights that flash in time to music at walmart, I can not see how disney couldn’t put together new arches. Wouldn’t it be just like the osbourne lights but on arches, not building?

Crowd flow…what about the crowds after any fireworks or parade? I’ve never been AT Christmas, but by pictures, it looks like one could be moved thru the park and one’s feet never touch the ground.

The Lights of Winter were one of our favorite Holiday displays the first time we visited at Christmastime as well. I am sad that Disney has done away with them, whatever the reason. It would be nice if they could come up with something holiday-esque for that area or even a bit further down the walkway closer to Future World.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1059262]If I can buy a string of lights that flash in time to music at walmart, I can not see how disney couldn’t put together new arches. Wouldn’t it be just like the osbourne lights but on arches, not building?

Crowd flow…what about the crowds after any fireworks or parade? I’ve never been AT Christmas, but by pictures, it looks like one could be moved thru the park and one’s feet never touch the ground.[/QUOTE]

The lights are one thing, exactly recreating a 25 year old fiberglass arch is the problem.

As for crowd control, it really was a choke point. Think for a minute, almost everyone heading for World Showcase is going to go down the central path. Instead of the unobstructed flow of people, or even the slightly impeded flow with just the tree, you have to remember that there was a stage in front of the tree which included some lights and PA speakers.

The stage with all the props has got to be 30 feet wide and probably sticks out 20 feet. The central walkway will jam and the two outside walks on the other sides of the benches will get really thick too. Once it breaks out into the clear, that’s when the real clump of bodies makes it almost impossible to pass through the crowd until after the event.
With only the tree and no stage, passing this area is no problem, but with a thousand bodies jamming into an already restricted area, it becomes one.
Here is a picture from a lighting in 06 and then a picture of the tree without the stage in 08. I am also of the mind that the lighting ceremony was axed in 08 when the economy crashed, same as they cancelled Wishes at 7 PM on nights they were having a Christmas party. Anyway, you can see that without the stage and props that the area opens up a bit better and isn’t as bad of a choke point.
I think I was standing near the second support leg on the right when I took the lighting picture.

I’ve been in Liberty Square for Fantasmic three nights in a row in June 2005 and it was very tight, but there are multiple ways out, but the main thing is that while you’ve got thousands of people all starting to move at once, the CMs have a very well coordinated routine to keep things moving.
As I’ve said elsewhere, the place where the Epcot tree and its stage are, is a tremendous choke point.
There are not many ways to get around the tree for guests heading down into World Showcase from the Fountain of Nations area and this is how the bulk of Epcot guests enter World Showcase. There are only two side paths to World Showcase, one that heads by the upside down waterfall in front of Imagination and the other one that connects the Test Track area with Odessey and both of those are paths much less traveled.

I managed to find an aerial shot with the arches.

i remember the tree lighting being a source of congestion. personally, i don’t miss that, but the lighted arches were remarkable and should be replaced. just cause i said so if for no other reason!!! that should do it… honestly, that particular sight being absent might have a bearing on the timing of when we do trips in the future… the christmas theme was a huge draw for me to disney, and that was tops on my list of things to see. ahhh ce la vie.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1059316]I’ve been in Liberty Square for Fantasmic three nights in a row in June 2005 and it was very tight, but there are multiple ways out, but the main thing is that while you’ve got thousands of people all starting to move at once, the CMs have a very well coordinated routine to keep things moving.
As I’ve said elsewhere, the place where the Epcot tree and its stage are, is a tremendous choke point.
There are not many ways to get around the tree for guests heading down into World Showcase from the Fountain of Nations area and this is how the bulk of Epcot guests enter World Showcase. There are only two side paths to World Showcase, one that heads by the upside down waterfall in front of Imagination and the other one that connects the Test Track area with Odessey and both of those are paths much less traveled.

I managed to find an aerial shot with the arches.[/QUOTE]

that’s just cool right there… on this last trip, after we saw that the lights were missing, i don’t think we went down the center runway one more time. we took either of the side paths. they are skinny, but we may have seen a total of 30 other people walking on them while we were there.

once again,this new corporate team,will use any excuse to cut costs,i have a good idea,make it a hard ticket event,and keep the crowds down,andguess what those arches will mysteriously reappear…crowds,choke points,what a line of*&^%$#,we experienced people know there are many ways to avoid that choke point…sorry but I have to play the devils advocate here…

A hard ticket event in Epcot, at the same time they’re running hard ticket Christmas parties in the MK?
Give us a break already! We know, you’ve got a big burr up your butt where it comes to publicly held and traded corporations.

it is just not the same without those lights…don’t get me wrong, i will take christmas time in WDW over any other time of the year…just seems like something is missing now…

I agree Chris, it is missing and its absence is noticeable to anyone who has been to Epcot in 2008 or before, but what can even a group of 1000 people do when someone’s mind is made up about a money related issue? (Someone being management)

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1059521]A hard ticket event in Epcot, at the same time they’re running hard ticket Christmas parties in the MK?
Give us a break already! We know, you’ve got a big burr up your butt where it comes to publicly held and traded corporations.[/QUOTE]

its not a bur,but this is the way we roll now,disney,which we all love is headed down this road each day more and more,you can have hard ticket nights when MK is not having one the uproar out here in california is unbelievable,the reason is more locals and less tourist …WDW has moved that way before DLR ,but when they see the additional capital ,they wonder what the heck we will try it here,don’t get me wrong a company deserves and needs profits,but when the decisions are based solely on that in long run it starts to show,that is my concern…for example the rumbling around right now is about the numbers early on concerning TRON…and the ripple affect for all of disney…that is why I believe each should be its own entity part of the team but when one division has a tough time,others should not base their decisions on the other…Yes walt disney company is a conglomerate,that is what has changed and in my opinion product needs to be first…it should be the driving force in front of any other…

OK John, but what?
The theme parks were part of the portfolio long before they bought ABC and were part of the portfolio a good decade before entering into cable, so it would make more sense to spin off broadcasting the same way that Viacom spun CBS off after they bought it.
Meanwhile, you’re complaining about a synergy between the parks and the studios that have existed since Disneyland opened in 1955.
What you’re really complaining about is all large cap corporations and how they do business and have done business for at least the last 30 years.
The Tron numbers are a shade better than was projected and it is a given that there will be sequels this time. There was a Tronorail running in Orlando for 6 months and a Hallmark ornament of a light cycle. If we don’t see a Tron attraction by the time the second film is in theaters, I’d be surprised.
But is this any different than building Tom Sawyer’s Island in the 1950’s?

I just think you’re over stressing things. If you think it’s bad, just consider for a moment how much worse it would have been if Comcast had pulled off their hostile takeover of Disney in 2004.
Right now I’m shuddering at the thought that Comcast is trying to acquire NBC Universal from GE.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1059798]OK John, but what?
The theme parks were part of the portfolio long before they bought ABC and were part of the portfolio a good decade before entering into cable, so it would make more sense to spin off broadcasting the same way that Viacom spun CBS off after they bought it.
Meanwhile, you’re complaining about a synergy between the parks and the studios that have existed since Disneyland opened in 1955.
What you’re really complaining about is all large cap corporations and how they do business and have done business for at least the last 30 years.
The Tron numbers are a shade better than was projected and it is a given that there will be sequels this time. There was a Tronorail running in Orlando for 6 months and a Hallmark ornament of a light cycle. If we don’t see a Tron attraction by the time the second film is in theaters, I’d be surprised.
But is this any different than building Tom Sawyer’s Island in the 1950’s?

I just think you’re over stressing things. If you think it’s bad, just consider for a moment how much worse it would have been if Comcast had pulled off their hostile takeover of Disney in 2004.
Right now I’m shuddering at the thought that Comcast is trying to acquire NBC Universal from GE.[/QUOTE]

you made my point,cannot be taken over if you are not public,and you can conduct business as you see fit,not try to hit a home run every quarter,I love going to the restaurant called the palm,upscale steak house,privately held,well during the down turn while others were closing stores and laying people off,their attitude was it was better to be cohesive,keep people on board and so instead of making XXXXX amount of money this year they would be OK if they made xxxxxxx amount minus whatever,it meant for a great attitude amongst workers and customers alike …you see every meeting is not consumed with cutting costs and raising more money,it is concerned on how you move forward,you understand as a disney fan you can see that attitude creeping in,labor strife,projects delayed ,plans put off…and trying to find more ways to charge more ,if you have been to CA adventures lately last summer they had a show so undisneylke it was hard to explain,more hip grinding,and sexual overtures,I leaned over to my wife and saifd did we take the wrong turn somewhere,that then turned into some excuse to sell alchohol and they even brought in outside vendors to serve food ,the reason for this was they are not our employees and we don’t have to pay them,well one of those vendors was thrown out for selling drugs at the park…that is a perfect example of trying to raise the bottom line and losing the true magic of disney…decisions based on profit and not on what disney experience is all about…FAMILY