Epcot New Year's Eve

Just curious at to what folks here thought about Epcot New Year’s Eve.
We were there early… like at the rope drop and left around 230pm when it was elbow to elbow around Mexico.

I loved the food they had around World Showcase. Actually a bit better than F&W actually. Sushi was $ 8.50 but it seemed fresher and it was an 8 piece roll.
Meatball panino from Italy was piping hot and very tasty.
Ham and Cheese sandwich from France w the baguette and the cosmo’s were great. VERY festive time.
Personally, and imho, I’d rather see larger portions and pay a bit more.
All and all, we loved it… for the time we spent there.
When we left wait times were horrific though. 4Hrs + for Soarin, 2 1/2 hours for Mission Space AND Test Track. WOW!!
We got in early as I mentioned… real early and got on Soarin, Captain EO (why did they name it EO???), Living Seas, Living w the Land, Spaceship Earth, and Figment 3 (Please bring back Figment 1…I know it won’t happen though).
Happy New Year to everyone here.
Frank

sounds like you timed it just right. . . what a great time to be at disney!

>>sounds like you timed it just right. . . what a great time to be at disney!<,

I have to admit… yes it was.
We were fortunate to be at MK Christmas Eve(day) and Day, and @ Epcot on New Year’s Eve (day).
Lots of people were leaving around 230 when we left. I thought we’d be the only ones <g>.
It was funny. People were camping out on the grassy areas around France. People literally were pulling small suitcases… I’m guessing changes of clothes or warmer clothes for the evening. Some people were really dressed up, women in dresses. We sat on a bench on the promenade at Japan and had our sushi and just people watched. It was really neat to just watch and listen. \My favorite was the dad, talking to his daughter trying to escape the stroller… " keep hands and legs inside the vehicle at all times." I almost choked!!<bg>
Frank

NYE in Epcot is just the best! We managed to get in for rope drop and stuck it out until just after 7pm (had to ring in the New year in the Uk pavillion!) then headed back to AKL. We were so tired we fell asleep before midnight but got up early and refreshed New Years day and had MK to ourselves until lunch time!

We were there last year for NYE. We got there at Park opening and stayed unitil closing. We went in with a game plan though. We used this day to take pics, we did Kim Possible, Fast Passed what we could. We plopped down about 7pm for the 9pm Illuminations and stayed there until NYE firework show. Kids colored - used snacks to buy popcorn and fed ducks. We had incredible viewing for the fireworks (place we always get at EPCOT - our feet dangling over the edge - over the banks of the water). It was incredible - but we went in with the knowledge that this day was going to be different…and it was. If we had gone to “RIDE” we would have been miserable.

The years we’ve been in WDW on NYE, the first two years we would arrive in Epcot around 5 PM and have dinner (sadly, we waited until very late to plan, so we were stuck with Red Dragon one year which wasn’t that good, and Chefs, which wasn’t everything we’d hoped for mostly because of the crush of guests). This way we’d have a spot for the 7:30 Illuminations. After that, I’d leave the wife behind and race up to the MK for Holiday Wishes and I’d have no trouble getting into the MK at 8:15. (The second year I took a taxi between Epcot and the Contemporary instead of the monorail)
I’d leave the MK and return to Epcot to hold our midnight spot by about 9:30 and then DW could shop. I think one year when I was returning to Epcot I was able to squeeze in a ride on Spaceship Earth because it had maybe a 5 minute wait.
The third year we were in WDW for NYE, we just stuck with the MK, so we had dinner at Contemporary Steakhouse (the last year it was open) and headed over to the MK at about 8 for Holiday Wishes and also to stay straight through midnight.
For this, I staked out a spot just in front of the flagpole circle tree and on the right as you face the castle.
We did not even bother with the parks during the day and every time we lucked into not being locked out of our park of choice, even in the evening. Just don’t wait too much longer than 9:30 PM for your midnight choice. Yes, each year MK did get to Stage III closing during the day, but if you wait for the dinner exodus, you should still be able to get in between 7 PM and 9 PM.

If you think you’re going to ride easy on the busiest day of the year, be there at rope drop and be gone by noon.

I was at Epcot for NYE…it was a bit on the crowded side. Check out the wait for Maelstrom in the middle of the day…anyone who had never been on that ride and waited for it was probably not very happy.

I have been there at New years when I was in college- at EPCOT, and again at HS. I would have never done it with kids-especially a stroller… I would be miserable, and I would feel like they could not see anything except for the back of people’s legs… You are brave ot be there then- I will go at another time.

110 wait for Maelstrom… were they giving away free trips to Norway that you did not know about?

LOL. Must have been it. The line for the Mexico ride was outside the pavillion later. Unreal. I did some stuff I had never done before, like the France and China shows. They were crowded, too, but I could at least get in.

[QUOTE=hanwill;1061337]

110 wait for Maelstrom… were they giving away free trips to Norway that you did not know about?[/QUOTE]

Really now, who wants to spend time watching those old and outdated movies Melstroem was the only fun attraction/ride listed :laugh:
I would never do the Mexican ride ever again - hated it. Don’t like that entire setup :blush:

[QUOTE=Dopey;1061346]Really now, who wants to spend time watching those old and outdated movies Melstroem was the only fun attraction/ride listed :laugh:
I would never do the Mexican ride ever again - hated it. Don’t like that entire setup :blush:[/QUOTE]

Wasn’t too keen on the old version. Now it just looks cheap. Bad WDW rehab.:angry::mad:

Maelstrom is the “greatest bad ride” at Disney. From the accent of the narrator at the first “Velcome to Norvay”, we LOVE this ride. Seriously, my family repeatedly through the year says the “Velcome to Norvay” saying over and over throughout the year. Plus, the “town” at the end of the ride before you go into the movie is just beautiful. When I get a basement, I seriously say I am going to set it up like that town.