Epcot Segway tour canceled

It seems Disney has canceled the Segway tour at Epoct. No reason has been given by Disney. The tour was still happening on 2/12 and seems to have been abruptly canceled on either 2/13 or 2/14.

The Segway tour at Fort Wilderness is still being offered at this time.

I’m sorry to hear this, my husband and I both enjoyed the tour and our son was looking forward to turning 16 and doing it.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1129872]It seems Disney has canceled the Segway tour at Epoct. No reason has been given by Disney. The tour was still happening on 2/12 and seems to have been abruptly canceled on either 2/13 or 2/14.

The Segway tour at Fort Wilderness is still being offered at this time.

I’m sorry to hear this, my husband and I both enjoyed the tour and our son was looking forward to turning 16 and doing it.[/QUOTE]

I checked into the Segway Tour last August and was told at that time that they no longer offered it at Epcot…and that was last August! Did they start it up and stop it again?

I think they started a new one in September that included breakfast.

?Keep Moving Forward? Epcot Segway Tour & Breakfast Debuts September 17 Disney Parks Blog

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1129875]I think they started a new one in September that included breakfast.

?Keep Moving Forward? Epcot Segway Tour & Breakfast Debuts September 17 Disney Parks Blog[/QUOTE]

Ahhh…that explains it. Thank you. :smile:

Well…it doesn’t explain why the suddenly shut it down though.

Low sign-up rates and a power struggle seem to be the most likely reasons for a shutdown. Segways have lost their appeal and so did this tour.

I might agree but many of the tours are sold out year round.

I’m wondering if it has to do with the lawsuit to allow guests to ride segways in the parks.

I read on another sight where they were canceled with no explanation indefinitely…

I am leaning toward a power struggle with the union. It is the most likely explanation. Then again maybe George Kalogridis has a fear of Segways.

This might be their reason. We did the Epcot tour a few years back and obviously they can’t have a flock of Segways driven by mostly novice riders on the walkways of World Showcase once it opens at 11 AM, but there’s still maintenance workers all around WS before it opens and they have vehicles and hoses and other equipment that need to move around too. Then there’s the actual rides around the countries on narrow walkways close to buildings and landscaping. All of these things combined adds up to a great excuse to cancel something that might not be as efficient a revenue stream as some other guest offering.

FYI – Took a Segway tour in Austin a few years back. My mom ended up in the hospital with emergency surgery for broken bones in her knee and I got a concussion even though I wore a helmet. She’s still got pins in her leg.

The Segways are super fun and they are very easy to ride. I loved it. But if something goes wrong (even if your Segway brushes against something), the results can be catastrophic. If a child were to get hurt, it would be awful.

FYI – Took a Segway tour in Austin a few years back. At the very end of the day, my mom and I lightly collided but ended up flying through the air and smashing to the ground. My mom ended up in the hospital with emergency surgery for broken bones in her knee and I got a concussion even though I wore a helmet. She’s still got pins in her leg.

The Segways are super fun and they are very easy to ride. I loved it. But if something goes wrong (even if your Segway brushes against something), the results can be catastrophic. If a child were to get hurt, it would be awful.

I remember getting to try them out in the innovations room at EPCOT, it was fun, but I can see how there are some hazards to it too