Epcot's 30th Anniversary

How time flies! My first trip to Disneyworld was a mear 4 1/2 months after Epcot opened on October 1, 1982. Now by coicidence I will be at Disney when Epcot celebrates its 30th anniversary. How great is that?!?!?!

Here is a sneak peak at some special merchandise they will be selling.

Sneak Peek: 30th Anniversary of Epcot Merchandise at Walt Disney World Resort

Edit: Darnit, I put this in the wrong place. Can someone move this to the WDW Parks area??? Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Wow! 30 years. I’ll miss the anniversary by a few days.

My DH was in Miami when Epcot opened and went up to WDW to see what was there, and especially Epcot. I didn’t know him then, shame, I missed a cool trip apparently.

So Dixie since Paul has been to Epcot more that you, doesn’t that mean you have to take an extra trip to even out the score???:laugh::laugh:

Was anyone there for the 25th? I think I was…stop laughing, my brain is old…if I remember, they had special fireworks that night. But they were about 20 mins late since it was pouring cats and dogs and a few turtles too. I don’t remember what was said, but there was a little speech at the end of the fireworks. So does anyone remember that??

I think like all Disney celebrations, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. this one will be stretched out for the entire year.

Except they didn’t do squat for Epcot’s 25th in 2007.

Really??? That stinks!

If they didn’t do anything for the 25th I figure there won’t be much but the extra merchandise for the 30th (as I believe 25 is a more celebrated milestone than 30).

Hmmm, they didn’t?? I wonder what I was thinking off??? The park was packed that night and some local person said he came to the park special for the fireworks that night.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1105236]So Dixie since Paul has been to Epcot more that you, doesn’t that mean you have to take an extra trip to even out the score???:laugh::laugh:

Was anyone there for the 25th? I think I was…stop laughing, my brain is old…if I remember, they had special fireworks that night. But they were about 20 mins late since it was pouring cats and dogs and a few turtles too. I don’t remember what was said, but there was a little speech at the end of the fireworks. So does anyone remember that??[/QUOTE]

Hmmm I like your thinking Joanne! You’re so right, I am owed a trip:happy:

That was on the exact anniversary day of the opening, unlike the WDW/MK 25th in 96 that went on all year (remember the birthday cake inflatable that hid the castle’s spires?). The rest of 2007, they had absolutely nothing. I know. I was in WDW a lot in 2006 and 2007.

And compare that to the Disneyland 50th celebration that was celebrated in all of the parks for close to 18 months.

My DH also keeps on about the British and the French Concorde aircraft being chartered by Disney as a publicity stunt to promote the opening of the Epcot park, and that Epcot had both British and the French pavilions.

Twin Landing In Orlando A 1st For Concorde - Orlando Sentinel

how exciting! I love the 30 years pins I have to admit :slight_smile:

Thanks for the head’s up. I was a freshman in college, and was planning driving down to attend the opening day (wend to college at University of Florida. Alas my biology professor scheduled a test that day, so I had to go down on 2 Oct.

May have to schedule a vacation day for this year and make a long weekend, to make up for missing opening day. :wink:

[QUOTE=skunis1;1105177]How time flies! My first trip to Disneyworld was a mear 4 1/2 months after Epcot opened on October 1, 1982. Now by coicidence I will be at Disney when Epcot celebrates its 30th anniversary. How great is that?!?!?!

Edit: Darnit, I put this in the wrong place. Can someone move this to the WDW Parks area??? Thanks and sorry for the confusion.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=gatour;1107576]Thanks for the head’s up. I was a freshman in college, and was planning driving down to attend the opening day (wend to college at University of Florida. Alas my biology professor scheduled a test that day, so I had to go down on 2 Oct.

May have to schedule a vacation day for this year and make a long weekend, to make up for missing opening day. ;)[/QUOTE]

That is pretty cool! Day two is not too shabby!

We actually have decided against going to the park that day as the park is going to be way crowded. Unless we hear they are doing something really special and giving out some special collectible to all guests that day we will stay away from the park and go later in the week.

[QUOTE=skunis1;1105177]How time flies! My first trip to Disneyworld was a mear 4 1/2 months after Epcot opened on October 1, 1982. Now by coicidence I will be at Disney when Epcot celebrates its 30th anniversary. How great is that?!?!?!

Edit: Darnit, I put this in the wrong place. Can someone move this to the WDW Parks area??? Thanks and sorry for the confusion.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any photos from that trip? I would love to see them.

We are going but it is the last day of our fall trip. DH said all he is really planning is getting some of special merchandise and then probaly go home.

I would have to check with my parents if they have any pictures and then have them scanned. No digital cameras back then. LOL! I think my dad had this big Sony camera and bought a camera necklace thingy at Disney.

I realize that they would be scanned photos but that’s what makes seeing photos before the late 90s so rare. I have photos I need to dig up so I can scan them. I have a friend who sent a bunch of old print photos out and had them put on CDs. As much as I want my film photos digitized, I’m to cheap to pay for it to be done, and too busy to take the time to do it.:laugh:

My parents and I both have scanners so if they do find some of the pictures it wouldn’t take too much time (dad is basically retired and mom is semi retired) to scan and email them.

I would love to post them on my Facebook fan page WDW Photo Club.