Family Suing Disney Over Cheese At Theme Park

I don’t know about you but it’s cases like this that really ruffles my feathers! Personally, I think the parents should be brought up on child neglect charges. What parent in their right mind would allow a 4 year old to handle scalding hot cheese? And at what point do parents actually take responsibility for their children and their own actions?

This is a prime example of why insurance premiums are very expensive in this day and age. Lawyers will tell you that insurance companies are bottomless pits of cash, but anyone with any fraction of common sense should know better… We all collectively pay for others “lottery” pay day.

I hope Disney fights this tooth and nail to prevent this from becoming another “Mc Donalds” situation (and I do believe Disney is “self insured” as well as having “salaried” lawyers on staff so they CAN fight garbage like this)…

Family Suing Disney Over Cheese At Theme Park - San Diego News Story - KGTV San Diego

“That’s the disappointing aspect of it, they found that Disney World really had no interest in taking responsibility for the incident,” Cahill said.

Why should Disney take responsibility??? It was nachos… the cheese is supposed to be hot, or else it wouldn’t be nacho cheese!!! The kid spilled it on himself. How was it Disney’s fault? If a CM had spilled it on a kid, then I believe that Disney should take responsiblilty… but it was the kid’s accident (actually the parents’ mistake for giving him the cheese).

Some people just can’t take responsibility for their own actions. I think they’re embarassed… most lawsuits are from people who have embarassed themselves and want someone else to take the blame.

The report didn’t really give much info on exactly what happened - and where. What were the circumstances? I would imagine the parents would have had to hand the nachos to the child - most 4 year olds don’t order them for themselves - wouldn’t they have noticed that the cheese was very hot? In fact, if it was hot enough to cause such a serious injury, how could they NOT have noticed it? Don’t most parents check that sort of thing before handing food off to their small children? Of course, accidents happen - but I’d like to have more information.

True, the information in the article is “lacking” but correct me if I’m wrong; I do believe that the hot cheese is located away from the counter service area (the condiments island), and the machine (which indicates in bold letters “Caution HOT” or something to that effect) would be too high for a 4 year old to reach. Because of this, it leads me to believe (like what you said) that the parent would have had to put the cheese into the container for the child before giving it to him.

And I also agree, why would the parent hand the child the container of cheese before testing it to see if it was an appropriate temperature? And if the parent “spilled” the cheese onto the child, how is THAT the fault of “Disney”? And doesn’t the Department of Health stipulate what temperature food needs to be cooked at & maintained as well?

Now this is in regards to counter service as I don’t recall too many other locations outside of “Mexico” in EPCOT that serve hot melted cheese other than the counter service condiments island…

Our liberal legal system has removed any personal responsibility. It’s always SOMEONE elses fault. What part of HOT COFFEE don’t people undrstand?

[QUOTE=papa bear;1066739] And doesn’t the Department of Health stipulate what temperature food needs to be cooked at & maintained as well?

…[/QUOTE]

This is what I am wondering. For a burn as severe as they say it was, that cheese would have to be very, very hot - and I would imagine that the temperature has be regulated very carefully. Did other people complain that it was scalding? Was there something wrong with the temp control? Too many unanswered questions.

PARENT RULE #1: Don’t give your 4 year old food that you haven’t made sure was cool enough for them to eat!!!

DUH!

4 year olds LIVE to spill things, and a good parent always makes sure that food is cool enough to be handled for their kids. Cases like this are ridiculous. I feel bad for the child in this case. His parents are subjecting him to this huge circus just to try and cash in or push the blame of their mistake on Disney because they are embarassed (assuming), because what other outcome are they expecting to come from it? Disney to server food room tempature? Disney to provide ‘CAUTION: hot’ on everything (which they already responsibly do). Sometimes you can’t just blame someone else for a mistake you made. Not saying they are all around bad parents for not checking the tempature before letting him eat it, but he’s four, it’s your job! Parents make mistakes, and thats okay sometimes, but don’t try to focus the blame towards the third party. It’s in bad taste.

A. this isn’t Disney fault. Nacho cheese is hot, and everyone knows it. And I’m sure at some point the parents had to hold the nacho cheese first, if its hot enough to burn that poor little kiddo, then it’s too hot to hold and you should go “Oh wait, maybe I shouldn’t give this too him right now.” (Unless the child simply grabbed it without permission while it was cooling, which I can see happening with a four year old.) But food is cooked to be hot. (If the cheese wasn’t, you wouldn’t eat them, would you?
B. what is suing going to do to take back what happened? Although its a shame the little one burned himself, it’s not permanent and making a huge deal of that isn’t going to change that.
C. they are just trying to get money from Disney. I’ve seen people like this at Disney, they come in all different extremes… the guest who complains to get free merchandise, the guest who scolds his server to try and get their perferctly good meal taken off of the bill, the mother STORMING to guest services to yell about how her daughter had to wait in line for 45 minutes to see Belle.

People are ridiculous and everyone thinks Disney owes them something, when in fact Disney provides people with the best things possible. Some people are just too miserable to realize that! :sleep:

I dont think I ever gave anything to DD without first either blowing on it or tentatively sticking a finger in to see exactly how hot it was. Even now at almost 22 I will automatically say to her be careful this may be hot.
The child obviously has a bad burn blister, and I am sorry for his discomfort- however, I hold the parents wholly responsible not the company.

“The little boy’s parents said Isaiah started screaming and crying and probably won’t remember Disney World as the happiest place on earth.”

This line makes me so angry! The parents are completely being unreasonable here. If this had happened at a local hot dog stand do you think they’d be suing them? This incident has NOTHING to do with Disney except for the fact that it happened there. In no way did Disney taint this kiddo’s vision of Disney. An unfortunate accident happened and he got hurt, but it’s not right to blame the company.

If I was walking and not paying attention and I tripped over and curb and scraped my knee, am I going to sue Disney for putting a curb on a sidewalk? No, you know why? Because everyone knows sidewalks have curbs. And while it may have been embarassing or painful, it’s ultimately my mistake for not watching where I was going. I just don’t think this is fair to try and claim it’s Disneys fault.

[QUOTE=dixie;1066750]I dont think I ever gave anything to DD without first either blowing on it or tentatively sticking a finger in to see exactly how hot it was. Even now at almost 22 I will automatically say to her be careful this may be hot.
The child obviously has a bad burn blister, and I am sorry for his discomfort- however, I hold the parents wholly responsible not the company.[/QUOTE]

Same here, my mom still does it too! :wub: And she does it for the grandkids, and I do it for my nieces and nephews. When I worked as a server at a restaurant I even told any little kids at my tables and there parents to be really careful and that the food was hot. And if it was too hot, I wouldn’t even put the food down in front of the child. I’d put it near the parents and warn them it needed to be cooled down first, or the plate was hot.

Safety is all of our personal responsibility too.

That is ridiculous!

This will ruin having nachos and cheese for the rest of us. I think we should all sue the idiot parents for ruining our good time.

Don’t get any ideas WALL you know the affects of beer prior to going into EPCOT. “OH this beer is way to cold I need to sue Disney”

[QUOTE=dixie;1066750]I dont think I ever gave anything to DD without first either blowing on it or tentatively sticking a finger in to see exactly how hot it was. Even now at almost 22 I will automatically say to her be careful this may be hot.
The child obviously has a bad burn blister, and I am sorry for his discomfort- however, I hold the parents wholly responsible not the company.[/QUOTE]

If I had a dollar for every plate of food I’ve stuck my finger in over the last 12 years I would be a rich woman right now. Like you, I still warn my son every time a plate is handed to him that it may still be hot so becareful. I would have checked cheese sauce before handing it over to a 4 year old–of course it’s going to be HOT!

Just another excuse for people to “get rich quick”…teaching their children that if something goes wrong in their life it’s always someone else’s fault. This leads to adults that blame everyone else for their failures…sad

[QUOTE=brit;1066758]

Don’t get any ideas WALL you know the affects of beer prior to going into EPCOT. “OH this beer is way to cold I need to sue Disney”[/QUOTE]

LOL…

I just read the post prior to yours and that same thought went through me to post a remark about my BEER being too cold !!! Well played !!!

Geez … Am I that predictable ??? :laugh::laugh::whistling

The person on the other side of the park got sick riding a so called thrill ride and it made me feel queezy. It’s Disney’s fault for MAKING people ride on things where they sometimes might get sick.

Also, recently at EPCOT while minding my own business and enjoying a cool beverage, someone ACTUALLY tried Beverly. Their reaction made my snort my drink and it burned the inside of my nose for 8.7 seconds. :whistling

FURTHERMORE, one time at band camp, I mean EPCOT, I saw a man in a pink TUTU in the EPCOT fountain. I may NEVER recover from that. :eek:

Disney…send me $10,000,000. :angel:

Without knowing all the facts as to how the child aquired the item, I would think the question here would be where the responsibility is. I would think both. A. on the parents for being that, parents, and ensuring the safety of their children until they’re old enough to have the common sense to do it for themselves and B. on Disney to make sure an edible product they’re selling is…edible.
IF the product was not edible AND a visual or audible warning was not noted then yes I believe they should be made to inform the public. Do I feel it’s case for a Lawsuit? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! as there was no malicious intent. Do I feel they should be liable in any area(medical, if any applied) then yes IF product was not edible for consumption without warning. Age shouldn’t matter in that case. There is a great responsibility in food service to ensure items are cooked at the right temperature, but are also safe to eat.
I know cheese sauce is supposed to be hot, that’s how I was raised eating nachos just like I know coffee is hot to. But not all ppl or cultures are the same, hence the eggs on the shelf issue.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1066766]The person on the other side of the park got sick riding a so called thrill ride and it made me feel queezy. It’s Disney’s fault for MAKING people ride on things where they sometimes might get sick.

Also, recently at EPCOT while minding my own business and enjoying a cool beverage, someone ACTUALLY tried Beverly. Their reaction made my snort my drink and it burned the inside of my nose for 8.7 seconds. :whistling

FURTHERMORE, one time at band camp, I mean EPCOT, I saw a man in a pink TUTU in the EPCOT fountain. I may NEVER recover from that. :eek:

Disney…send me $10,000,000. :angel:[/QUOTE]

Should I do something really stupid like those parents and not take the blame for my stupidity, will you represent me:dry:

Mousebuzz really needs a “Like” button like Facebook! :laugh:

Like-ity, like, like, LIKE!!!

The accounts I’ve read indicate that the child was sitting at a table, that his chair was (supposedly) wobbly, and that for some reason his chair fell over. (I’m thinking “antsy four-year-old.”) When that happened, he grabbed the food tray and somehow ended up with the nacho cheese on his face.

I suspect we’re talking about a cup of cheese, such that beneath the surface the cheese retained its heat, with a typical “nacho cheese” dispenser maintaining the cheese at about 140 - 155 degrees F - hot enough to keep it melted and at a safe temperature (hot enough to kill bacteria) but not so hot that it scorches. Consider both that children scald more easily than adults and the fact that melted nacho cheese sticks to the skin, prolonging the burn, and it’s not a huge surprise that the child suffered a burn that blistered.

Does the injury in this case mean that the nacho cheese was inherently unsafe or defective? Not of itself. This was something of a freak accident and my guess is that pretty much any container of nacho cheese in any fast food restaurant, buffet line, movie theater or gas station would be hot enough to create a similar burn if applied to a child’s face in the same manner.