Fantasy trashed by Sandy

From the comment section in the article-

It was never about passenger safety, it was about getting the ship to port. I don’t care if you have been on 1 or more cruises, that ship was rocking all night. Yes, cruise ship are built to handle those waves, the problem is that most cruise passengers are not. The problem is you’re on Disney crack and the flakes of pixy dust have prohibited you of clear judgement.[/

Now that’s too funny :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The above is not why I posted this link but it did make me chuckle quite a bit.

The article states a lot of damage was done to the ship. Glad to see everyone made it back safely.

Disney Fantasy Cruise Ship Hammered by Hurricane Sandy - CNN iReport

Another 1st hand acct-

We were on the ship, and to all the geniuses saying it was not that bad, it was. Winds were 80 MPH+, gusting to over 100 MPH. Seas were 40-50 feet. The Fantasy is an absolutely massive vessel, and was being tossed like it was a 10 foot rowboat. The roughest action was between midnight and 4AM, and this is why no better video of the incident exists, as the Captain ordered everyone to their rooms around midnight. The next morning, the shops were all trashed and the crew was furiously cleaning up. The duty free shop was a mess, broken bottles and glass all over. It was an unnerving experience, but I don’t think I was ever really scared at any point. Thankfully my 4 and 7 year old girls slept through the whole thing.

Having said the above, I don’t blame Disney or the Captain for anything. Captain Forberg was on the bridge and in command all night Friday, and he is a very experienced sailor so we were in good hands. I just think they did not expect conditions to be as bad as they turned out to be. I think that had they fully understood the severity of the storm, they would have stayed in St. Thomas longer, and come back to Canaveral later in the day Saturday.

I read the comments from CNN and also from this blog My Disney Fantasy Nightmare
and I also think it was about getting back to the port in time for the next sailing so they didn’t have to refund all that money.

Those rolls are nothing. Hit the North Atlantic in December thru February. Now those are some rolls.:eek:

[QUOTE=fanofdisney;1124433]I read the comments from CNN and also from this blog My Disney Fantasy Nightmare
and I also think it was about getting back to the port in time for the next sailing so they didn’t have to refund all that money.[/QUOTE]

I am really sorry to disagree with you, but the Captain is above the business requirements when it comes to ship, crew, and passenger safety. They were taken care of by a professional and his #1 criteria was safety, PERIOD! What you are seeing are several people trying to line up their lawsuits.
Lower life forms at best.

[QUOTE=Captain Bax;1124466]I am really sorry to disagree with you, but the Captain is above the business requirements when it comes to ship, crew, and passenger safety. They were taken care of by a professional and his #1 criteria was safety, PERIOD! What you are seeing are several people trying to line up their lawsuits.
Lower life forms at best.[/QUOTE]

That is good to know the captain can decide on his own. I don’t think anyone will be successful with a lawsuit.

Regarless of who made the call to do what for whatever reason it still would’ve been nice to discount the current cruise since many things had to be cancelled rather than offer a discount of a future cruise. Some people just don’t cruise often and may never use it.