February stay at the Dolphin 2012

Hey all! I am going to give you my thoughts on my stay at the Dolphin over the weekend. I won’t bore you with a full report as most of what I did had to do with work.

Resort:

1. location - you cannot beat the location of this resort. It is a super fast boat ride away from my favorite park, Hollywood Studios. I took full advantage of that closeness upon arrival. I checked into the room, tossed my bags in the door (seriously tossed them) and hauled butt down to the boat and was at the Studios less than 30minutes from walking in the resort’s front door.:laugh: This resort is also a quick boat ride from Epcot. That ride is a touch longer with stops at both the Boardwalk and Beach/Yacht club resorts, but relaxing and enjoyable.

2. layout - the layout is simple. I had it figured out in seriously no time at all. I never felt lost or confused when trying to get to and from the convention center.

3. rooms - I cannot go on enough about the quality and size of the rooms. They were nicely decorated, clean and spacious. I was blessed to not have to share a room and had more space then one girl needed, but it was peaceful and I was able to sleep without having a random stranger in my room - which is seriously creepy to me for some reason. The bathrooms where the tub and toilet are were a little on the small side, but the vanity/sink area outside of it more than made up for the lack of space. A family of four would be perfectly fine in that room and still not feel cramped.

4. food - there are several restaurants and a 24-hour food court type place at this resort. It was typical Disney-like food - over priced and average at best. The food that was catered for our company events was decent. I wasn’t going crazy for any of it and didn’t desire more of anything except the delicious desserts.

5. Staff - the staff was Disney quality in every way. Each one magical in their own right and worthy of being called a great Cast Member even though they are not. The Gift shop team specifically was amazingly fun to deal with.

Summary: my opinion of this resort is similar to my opinion of CSR. Great convention resort, but I would never choose it for vacation. I don’t want to deal with convention people while trying to relax. We had some managers get stupid as they all do with an open bar. There is always those few that ruin for the rest of us. I don’t drink at company events. I especially avoid it when I am one of maybe ten women at an event like that. It gives the wrong impression and some drunk man is bound to say something stupid - which they did and I just ignored it and left for the parks…:laugh:

So, while I was there it was cheerleader weekend and Michelle Obama showed up. I would have been totally ticked had I been on vacation that week. Everything was packed!!! The cheerleaders do not bother me in the least, but they do make a huge crowd.

I went to Hollywood Studios and Epcot only. It’s all I could squeeze into the small time frame I has to be free without my corporate ball and chain…:laugh:

Great report. I knew you would only go to the Studios. I didn’t think you’d try Epcot. Did you have enough time in each park to do your favorites?
The resort room pictures on their website look great.

You are very smart not to drink on company time. It’s the classy thing to do.

As for sharing a room with a stranger, that would not happen for me. I would shell out the extra money to have my own room. Yikes, the idea alone. I am happy that this worked out so perfectly for you

Thank you for the review. I have always had an interest in staying there but just cant bring myself to do it because of the “non disneyness” about it! I have heard great things but I just want to stay at a WDW resort if I am on property. I am glad it was nice for your business purpose.

I am also glad you got your own room! I was away for business once and checked in and went up to my room and and walked in on a girl and her BF Standing there, I was so embarassed and apologised saying I must have been assigned the wrong room and she said “Lisa?” and I said yes and she said I was her roommate. The BF did not leave till midnight after I told them twice that I wanted to go to bed!

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Lisa

Thanks for the report Dana!

It is seriously creepy to share a room with a perfect stranger. I couldn’t do it either. Glad you got to enjoy some solitary peace and quiet!

Although the “non-Disneyness” wouldn’t bother me I think the conventions would, but I wouldn’t say “no” if someone offered me accomodations there!
I’ve only been in the lobby, but it looks like a gorgeous resort. I’m so glad you had such a good experience there.

Very wise decision not to drink under the circumstances! And very classy too!

Cheerleaders!:eek:

[QUOTE=Dopey;1101863]Great report. I knew you would only go to the Studios. I didn’t think you’d try Epcot. Did you have enough time in each park to do your favorites?
The resort room pictures on their website look great.

You are very smart not to drink on company time. It’s the classy thing to do.

As for sharing a room with a stranger, that would not happen for me. I would shell out the extra money to have my own room. Yikes, the idea alone. I am happy that this worked out so perfectly for you[/QUOTE]

It was a bit rushed for me at the parks, but worth it. I didn’t do any attractions at Epcot, but I did watch Illuminations and visit my favorite World Showcase Shops.

[QUOTE=lisalovesmickey;1101866]Thank you for the review. I have always had an interest in staying there but just cant bring myself to do it because of the “non disneyness” about it! I have heard great things but I just want to stay at a WDW resort if I am on property. I am glad it was nice for your business purpose.

I am also glad you got your own room! I was away for business once and checked in and went up to my room and and walked in on a girl and her BF Standing there, I was so embarassed and apologised saying I must have been assigned the wrong room and she said “Lisa?” and I said yes and she said I was her roommate. The BF did not leave till midnight after I told them twice that I wanted to go to bed!

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Lisa[/QUOTE]

I got the room mate from heck one year at a conference. I walked in the room and she was strutting around the room in all her glory and it wasn’t pretty.:laugh:

[QUOTE=llama;1101881]Thanks for the report Dana!

It is seriously creepy to share a room with a perfect stranger. I couldn’t do it either. Glad you got to enjoy some solitary peace and quiet!

Although the “non-Disneyness” wouldn’t bother me I think the conventions would, but I wouldn’t say “no” if someone offered me accomodations there!
I’ve only been in the lobby, but it looks like a gorgeous resort. I’m so glad you had such a good experience there.

Very wise decision not to drink under the circumstances! And very classy too!

Cheerleaders!:eek:[/QUOTE]

The resort was seriously nice. I think because I was there for work purposes, I will always equate that resort with work and not want to stay there for pleasure:laugh: That being said, I’ll stay anywhere if the price is right. The rooms remind me of the Contemporary where it’s not screaming Disney, but nice. I like my rooms to scream “you are at WDW!”

I was wondering how your trip was. Glad you liked the resort. We went there to deliver something and it looked seriously fancy - nice but a little fancier than I want for a regular vacation. Timing was so that we ate at the food cafeteria sort of line - seemed more pricy than even disney.

Thanks for sharing!

Glad you liked it. That lobby is amazing.

I have to keep in mind that the Swan used to do a teachers rate, when we go back I might look into that just cause I really like being in that area.

Then again since it wil be DGS first visit we might have to have a resort that Screams Disney, lol.

-Harry

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1102132]Glad you liked it. That lobby is amazing.

I have to keep in mind that the Swan used to do a teachers rate, when we go back I might look into that just cause I really like being in that area.

Then again since it wil be DGS first visit we might have to have a resort that Screams Disney, lol.

-Harry[/QUOTE]

Harry -

You have to have a “screaming” resort for a first visit - it’s a MUST!

Nice description of the resort. I couldn’t imagine rooming with a complete stranger, glad you got to stay alone.

Thanks for posting Dana. I couldn’t agree more about wanting a room that SCREAMS Disney. I stayed at the Dolphin once for only one night and I completely agree with your review. I like it, it was beautiful, but it wasn’t vacation!