Feedback on Polynesian, please

We are currently booked at POR for October. I have read many poor reviews lately describing worn, dirty rooms. We stayed 12 yars ago and loved it, but some say it has lost its glitter. We are concerned and looking at other resorts instead.

Has anyone stayed at the Polynesian lately? I would love to hear some feedback, since we have never been there.

LOVE IT!!
Love the convenience of the monorail, the rooms are spacious and each view is a good one…the volcano pool is a plus for the kids and Ohana and Kona are two of our favorite restaurants and they’re both right there!! You also get the feeling you’re in a tropical island setting but still get to look over and see the Castle! The best of both worlds!!
We’ll be staying there this June…can’t wait!!

We loved it enough to go back this summer.

Loved it too. And there were very clean rooms as well as great service. They were so great!!! Do it. You will feel like it is another world.

would love to stay at the Poly! We always enjoy visiting the public areas and would adore to check in some day!

That said, we are diehard POR fans and I find it difficult to believe that there is any drawback to a staying there.

I would agree, we love the POFQ, too… But once you are on the monorail, you come to loathe buses, and wish you could hop on a monorail…

we absolutely loved the poly!! we went two trips in a row!!! so much fun :laugh:

Now I haven’t been in a few years, but the Polynesian has always been fabulous. Gorgeous grounds, big and beautiful rooms, the lake, the fireworks, the volcano pool, the nightly electric water parade, the restaurants, and the transportation. It’s perfect.

I’ve read some bad reviews recently too and it put me off a bit. We aren’t planning on visiting until late next year so it’s a bit early to look into anything but some of the reviews lately have been a bit of a bummer.

Poly is my fav or the WDW non DVC resorts. Now if they will just add DVC location there…

We stayed at the Poly two years ago. We had mixed reviews. LOVED the size of the room. It was huge and it was just the standard room. My son son (6 yrs old at the time) slept on the daybed the nights that my parents joined us and he was very comfortable. The room had plenty of room to walk around in even with 4 adults and a child and all our luggage. The bathroom was small. Very little counter space to put things. The shower/bath’s water pressure wasnt very strong either. I understand saving water but it was really bad. The room was clean and the a/c worked fine. We were there in August and expected to use the pool. It had rained almost the entire trip and when it wasnt raining and we hit the pool the water was so cold. For what you pay to stay at the Poly you would think they would heat the pool. I realize rain water could cool off the water temp but the heater would have warmed at some point. The pools at the values are even heated! Monorail access was fantastic. The quick counter service was okay. Menu was very limited and never changed.

So like I said, we had mixed reviews. I dont think the Poly is worth the money. I dont think we will stay there again unless we get a great deal.

Well, the rooms at POR have always been really clean and tidy for our past stays there and I can’t say that any of them have ever been dirty or unkempt. The only thing I would say is I think they need to fit new Shower curtains more often as these do let the rooms down.

This said…if I had an unlimited vacation fund and could afford it I would stay at the Poly everytime. We honeymooned there and I fell in love with it. Beautiful rooms. Larger then those in POR and having the efficiency and bonus of the monorail at you door is such a bonus too.
The fact remains that for 1 vacation at the POLY, My family can do 2 at POR. Unfortunatley this argument always wins out. I really wanted to stay at the POLY this next vacation we are doing in March as this year will be our 10 year wedding anniversary but C’est le Vie eh? At least I am going to be at WDW!!

The thing is…every resort at WDW has such a huge flow of guests that you are bound to get mixed reviews and things will take some wear and tear.

We recently stayed at OKW - our favourite resort - and although everything was sparkling clean - it’s beginning to show it’s age too. I think that can be said of all the older WDW resorts, POR included. The Poly gets mixed reviews too. I wouldn’t let it worry you too much.

I love the Poly. Last stayed there in 2007 and finally upgraded to the Club Level. Loved it so much that I am staying there again this July.

It is by far my favorite resort.

So far the Poly is our favorite resort. It just has Disney “magic” all around. The room was great, the staff was wonderful, and we just had sooooo much fun there. I would have to say the only negative was size. The place is MASSIVE. It was a 5 minute walk minimum from the great house to our building, but we were in the building closest to the TTC which was a bonus for us. Plus, you have Ohana, Kona Cafe, you are close to GF and its restaurants and you can get right on the monorail and hit Contemporary in a few seconds. Trust me, we have done others, we love the Poly. We are heavily considering the Wilderness Lodge this year, but it is still a coin flip for Poly.

It is by far the best resort for us!! We usally stay in a garden view room and it just feels so tropical. Since they upgraded the rooms, they look great. We have always had great service from the cast members,

You should check out www.tikimanpages.com He gives ton of info.

All I can say is we have had great experiences at the Poly!! Will always stay here!

[QUOTE=llama;1013545]The thing is…every resort at WDW has such a huge flow of guests that you are bound to get mixed reviews and things will take some wear and tear.

We recently stayed at OKW - our favourite resort - and although everything was sparkling clean - it’s beginning to show it’s age too. I think that can be said of all the older WDW resorts, POR included. The Poly gets mixed reviews too. I wouldn’t let it worry you too much.[/QUOTE]

I always take the reviews with an grain of salt because some people are just too picky and some just like to complain, but I have never noticed so many bad reviews amongst a lot of different boards. That is what started to worry me. I am not picky.

Usually, we don’t even have mousekeeping in every day, because we pick up after ourselves. But I do want it clean and not too much wear and tear to make it feel run down. I look through “magic” goggles in WDW and can look past a lot, just not dirt. One of my kids will have to sleep on the trundle bed at POR and I want the floor clean when they are going to be that close to it.

We can afford to stay at the Poly but, like anyone else, I like to save where I can. POR never felt like you were “settling” for a moderate. Since we were planning so many other things this time, MNSSHP, Petty Driving School for DH, Cirque du Soleil, I figured that POR would save a few bucks.

With all of the raves about the Poly, now I think I want to try it, even if POR is perfect. I like the transportation conveniences and a larger room. You have all given me much food for thought.

I have stayed at the Polynesian and it is a VEy nice resort. The rooms are HUGE and the atsmosphere is relaxing and festive at the same time. they pull off the theme perfectly there. I think the monorail access is a God send. That all being said, I think it’s to expensive for me and I hated sharing buses with the other resort. It made travel time a bit on the long side when going to AK and HS. When you pay that much for a room, transportation should be lightening quick and not “shared”…just my opinion.

I too think busing should be for one resort only