Feeding infants

Our son is 8 months and is refusing to eat the jarred baby food, of course we leave in 3 days and I was wondering about how others go about heating their infants food at restaurants. He will eat those Gerber Graduate Bowls, but they need to be microwaved for 30 seconds. Has anyone ever run into this issue? I’m in desperate need of advice!

I’m so glad for this question!!! My son will also be 8 months when we go and I wonder the same!!!

when my DD was 8 months old she ate some regular table food…stuff that is similar to what is in the graduates.

here are my suggestions:
~ mac & cheese
~ green beans
~ mashed potatoes
~ fish…grilled or broiled
~ bread torn into tiny easy to manage pieces…sometimes made softer by a good bit of butter or i would just let her gnaw on it!lol(it wouldn’t take long before it was really soggy!lol)

~ take a little can of vienna sausages…cut them length wise…like skinny long sticks, (julian style).

but take my advice for what it’s worth…
DD never had a warm bottle after about 4 months old…took her bottles straight out of the fridge…(do you like warm milk…she didn’t either!lol)

good luck!

Ditto. From what I understand those Baby Care centers are amazing. Heat them up when he is hungry and then the rest of you can eat at your own pace.

in a pinch you can dip the cup they come in into a cup of hot water meant for tea. When my kids did not like the baby food anylonger I knew it was time for real food- I would find things on a menu that would be easy to feed a little one. Mash potatos, cooked carrots that I could mash on my plate with my fork. pasta that can be cut real small with a fork and knife. Instead of worrying about how I could make the place adapt to the baby I made teh baby adapt to the place. It works. You would be surprised how creative you can get that way.

so true!

you might also be surprised at how much the baby enjoys mealtime…new tastes, smells, textures…

i loved it when DD was finally able to eat mostly the same things as we were eating.

hey you have 3 days…start testing out a few restaurant standards now…see how it goes!

This is third child, and yes, he has begun table foods, he has been doing this for about a month or so now, however, I find it hard to make sure he gets well balanced meals that way, so I prefer to supplement or begin with good nutrition, especially since vacation tends to be more fly by the seat of your pants when it comes to food.

We have always tried to give him stuff at room temp, but he seems to prefer it warmer! I agree children should conform to the environment not vice versa, but I think that a baby is entitled to have a warm meal especially since he will not be getting his naps in his crib or even be in his own bed at bedtime for 10 days. Therefore, I am left posing the same question.

Has anyone ever asked your server to warm/micro baby food?

[QUOTE=NokeyNose;908089]This is third child, and yes, he has begun table foods, he has been doing this for about a month or so now, however, I find it hard to make sure he gets well balanced meals that way, so I prefer to supplement or begin with good nutrition, especially since vacation tends to be more fly by the seat of your pants when it comes to food.

We have always tried to give him stuff at room temp, but he seems to prefer it warmer! I agree children should conform to the environment not vice versa, but I think that a baby is entitled to have a warm meal especially since he will not be getting his naps in his crib or even be in his own bed at bedtime for 10 days. Therefore, I am left posing the same question.

Has anyone ever asked your server to warm/micro baby food?[/QUOTE]

what if you were to bring a small cooler and a heat pack- then you can microwave the pack before you leave the resort and Im sure it will stay somewhat warm in the cooler? You would be surprised though all the things you can find on the go- applesauce is offered everywhere Im sure and perhaps yogurt. I know friends that still only give formula at that age and that is ok too- its only a short span of time to improvise, I would not stress over it.

Hand it to your server they will gladly heat it for you. We went when DD4 was 8 months old, and she was still drinking formula and eating baby jar food. I would get the hot water, and the server would heat the food for me.

Just MAKE SURE you test it, because sometimes is was REALLY hot and sometimes not! (but you know that! :blush:) In all the food court/counter service their are microwaves you can use.

[QUOTE=NokeyNose;908089]This is third child, and yes, he has begun table foods, he has been doing this for about a month or so now, however, I find it hard to make sure he gets well balanced meals that way, so I prefer to supplement or begin with good nutrition, especially since vacation tends to be more fly by the seat of your pants when it comes to food.

i didn’t realize your question from your original post…i misunderstood you to be asking for suggestions for alternative food choices, in addition to heating the graduates bowl.

i apologize.:blush:

I don’t know the answer, but I would think they wouldn’t. Taking your container, putting into WDW kitchens, I would think that would be a no-no. I guess you could try but be prepared to use these other suggestions. I think I would heat the food at the baby center and tuck it into a thermal bag so it would still be warm by the time you sat down to eat.

I agree, I do not think that they would be allowed to.

If I remember correctly, I think the Food Courts at the resorts have a microwave. I do remember popping pop corn in the grab and go at the Contemporary. So if you need it at a resort, it shouldn’t be a problem. If you need it at a park, I would ask first at check in and if not, run on over to a baby care center and heat it up there. They seem to be conveniently located and Disney will probably go out of their way to assist you as much as they can. Good luck and don’t stress about it. What will be will be, you are on vacation- Have a great time!!

[QUOTE=chottsy;908106]i didn’t realize your question from your original post…i misunderstood you to be asking for suggestions for alternative food choices, in addition to heating the graduates bowl.

i apologize.:blush:[/QUOTE]

No need to apologize! I appreciate the suggestions none-the-less! Thanks a bunch!

Im not sure I would want to hand it over to them anyhow- you never know how long they would heat it for and could spend more time cooling it off than if you just found another way of doing it.

I can tell you from experience that any restaurant is willing to heat up that bowl in the microwave for you.

I’ve been a server in two Disney resturants and unfortunately, neither of them had a microwave. I dont know that they are all this way, but I would guess most of them are. We are also very discouraged to bring any food given to us by a guest into the kitchen area. Now, rather than make a guest extremely angry I’m sure the manager would try and work something out-- especially if the dish is sealed, but generally speaking if it comes out the door of our kitchen, it needs to have been prepared by our chef.

As some PP have said though, all the food courts have a guest microwave. You may end up eating alot of CS on this trip! Becareful though, most of them are commercial strength and cook times need to be shortened!

I hope it all works out-- Have an amazing trip!

Definitely take advantage of the baby care centers. Our twins were 9 months old the first time we took them, and those places were lifesavers! They have high chairs, changing tables, nursing rooms, food for sale, quiet rooms for toddlers to read books and play and have a little downtime if needed, and just about everything else you can think of - diapers, wipes, medicines… However, I do not remember specifically if they have microwaves. My kids ate it straight from the package.

Check your map for their location in each park, but they are relatively easy to find. Plan your day so that you will be near one at mealtime. Maybe you could feed your son prior to going to a restaurant, that way he will eat what you want him to have. Then, at the restaurant, he can eat the mashed potatoes, rolls, etc. that others have suggested here. You can supplement with “adult” food, and make sure he eats somewhat healthy.

Keep in mind, though, that you will be on vacation, and there isn’t any need to get all wrapped up in making sure he eats exactly right. You’ll stress yourself and your family out over it, and no one will have fun at mealtime. Take it from experience.

Hope it all works out the way you want, and that you have a magical vacation.

The baby care centers are wonderful! We definitely used those a lot when we took DS when he was 10 months old. Have fun!

That may be the best thing. Just stop and feed him before we all eat! Not really a CS group, we have ADR’s for the whole vacation but I am sure it will all work out. He is willing to eat “people” food as oppossed to “jarred food” but I know he sleeps best on a full stomach! So basically it is just curiosity!

I appreciate all of the advice, I hope none of you think I am this crazy “EAT ONLY HEALTHY” kind of gal, definately not, but my kids have really great eating habits and I truely believe they start from birth, so I just want him to be fed the way he is comfortable and accustomed to! I usually just give him as much of the meal as he will eat, then I let him try whatever we are eating! Crazy kid, loves Chili, fish, meatballs and snacks on green beans! He’s 8 months and a good 23 lbs. So it is not like he doesn’t eat, he just likes his food warm! Most nights I am sure he will eat what we are eating, but I just want to have that good ol’ fail safe, ya know! Happy Baby makes Happy mommy!!!

I do believe your child is the first I’ve ever heard of that loves chili at such a young age. Does he feed himself? That must be a sight!

Feeding him ahead just might be the best idea. Some kids are so involved in people watching, they eat nothing of the meal and then are starving 10 mins after you leave.