First SOLO trip! advice?

Well, I’m back, so I figured it’s time to get crackin on the boards.

Here’s the deal: I’m mostly going to visit a friend who’s a Fall CM with the College Program, but its a well-timed vacay week for my job as well (my [I]only[/I] vacay for the year.) Ever the concerned parent, my mom brought up the issue of loneliness and boredom in one of my advice-seeking phone calls regarding my trip. Because obviously my friend can’t just ask off a full week to hang out with me, but I’m not going to cut my trip short just so I can spend the rest of vacay sitting around the house wishing I was somewhere interesting. So now I’m wondering if my mom is right.

I am mostly introverted but lately, I’ve been trying to be more extro. When I was a CM 8 years ago, I ADORED going to the parks solo, which I did often, but haven’t done since. I don’t know how much I’ve changed in 8 years…

Has anyone here gone to WDW mostly solo? Any advice you can give me? How long did you stay? How did you fill your time and still have fun? I will be there for the end of Halloween, the beginning of ‘Christmas’, and the Food & Wine Fest as well, which I’ve never done! I will be staying DTD, and won’t be renting a car, so I will be ‘trapped’ on Disney property. I am also trying to keep this shoestring budget; any fun extras do to that won’t make me pay off the trip for months to come?

Thanks for any and all advice!! :mickey:

I think it sounds glorious.

Your friend will have some time off, right? So it won’t be like you’ve taken a vow of silence for a week.

You’ll chat with people in lines… if you feel like it!.. and you’ll people watch and relax and enjoy the freedom of being obligated only to yourself.

When I went to Disneyland by myself, I stopped at every Photopass photographer I saw, and struck poses with every character I could find. I still love those pictures!

I’d see a lot of the shows, maybe catch a movie or two in Downtown Disney. Go to the Animation drawing class and criticize the CM in your head since you’re an artist yourself!

Please only yourself. It’ll refresh you in ways you didn’t know you needed.

What I wouldn’t give to go solo!! :whistling

I have two kids you can borrow if you like! :flowers:

My friend just took himself to Universal and WDW for his birthday, his stories were great. He made multiple “friends” and he said he practically walked on all the ride (single rider lane)

I think you will have a B L A S T!! Even if you sleep late, hang by the pool and just relax those extra days. Vacations are all about leaving your “real world” behind for a few day, and what better way then to do that a DISNEY! :mickey:

[QUOTE=Andrea;1044461]. Go to the Animation drawing class and criticize the CM in your head since you’re an artist yourself!

Please only yourself. It’ll refresh you in ways you didn’t know you needed.[/QUOTE]

Now, that would be fun! You’ll be the star of the class!

Yes, please yourself. Sleep in if you want to. Lay by the pool if you want to. Go into every shop at DTD and browse. Take in all the entertainment in World Showcase and every shop. Have a glass of wine in France and just sit outside and people watch.

You guys are reminding me of the joys of solitude…you rock!

I also got to thinkin this morning…wouldn’t it be cool to buy/bring along a toy and take a photo journal of it’s adventures? I did a bit of that once before with a little Donald magnet/plush, then mailed him to my friend cause he wasn’t there to enjoy the trip with me, but through Donald, he was! It’ll shake up my photos a bit, too. Not the same old “here’s me and the castle…AGAIN!”

I was going to suggest bringing your camera and a sketch book. Take a day or two just to soak in a park creatively.

First I have to say that is a great idea. My DS has a Wall-E toy that he must travel with and sleep with and this year we decided to do the very same thing! That will keep your trip interesting!

Also, I have never been to WDW solo but I have been on other vacations by myself. I have to say that they were WONDERFUL experiences and you never know who you are gonna meet. I was in NYC by myself and ended up meeting a girl that went to grammer school with DH!!! They lived one block away from each other growing up! We ended up hanging out for the evening!

Anyway…

You will enjoy traveling solo! There is no one else to please. No crowd to follow. No feelings to spare. No schedule to dictate what you do. It is freedom at its best!

Sleep in
Swim
Eat
Park Hop
Sit
Relax

What ever you want!!!

Uggg I want a solo WDW trip soooooo bad!

Enjoy and tell us all about it!

Lisa

You are so lucky!! Even though I love taking my DS with me on trips, just one day to see the parks the way I want to see them would be wonderful.

If it were me, I would see everything that I had not taken the time to see on previous visits, like shows, shops, etc., and I would chat up CM’s for insider info.

Enjoy your trip!!

It’s actually a nice way to visit sometimes. You get to do what YOU want to do when YOU want to do it. Single rider lines. Get up early or sleep late. Go wait by the RED PHONE Booth. Jump in random peoples pictures. Streak in the EPCOT fountain. Suggest “Have you tried BEVERLY?”

Alright, I’m sold. :laugh: But if anyone has more advice or whatnots, I’ll gladly take it!!

I’d LOVE to have my sketchbook at a park for a whole day…but do you think Disney would mind? I also like sketching from life, what if someone gets creeped out that I sketched their family? :rolleyes: Maybe I should stick to drawing CMs so I can eliminate the creepo factor. Screever is such a spaz!

Streak in the fountain? Isn’t that a tradition we leave to Boss? :wink:

And what happens when you wait by the red phone booth?

I say do whatever you want! The last couple of times I’ve been to Disney I just went off on my own and I had a blast. Doing whatever you want really is a good break from everything. That way if you want to just relax rather than go to the park, then you can relax. Or if you want to go on rides all day, you can! (Don’t forget the single rider line~) Or if you just feel like people watching, that’s okay too. I find that when I go by myself I always find the littlest coolest things I wouldn’t have found if I was in a group. So enjoy it! Don’t worry about running out of things to do, because you’ll always find something new. :D

[QUOTE=Screever;1044668]…

I’d LOVE to have my sketchbook at a park for a whole day…but do you think Disney would mind? I also like sketching from life, what if someone gets creeped out that I sketched their family? :rolleyes: Maybe I should stick to drawing CMs so I can eliminate the creepo factor. Screever is such a spaz!

…[/QUOTE]

I don’t have the skillz you have with the sketching and the drawing and the charcoal but I can snap a photo. When I go for a day by myself I take my Rebel Digital and snap shots (I spent a day at AK just photographing flora and textures).

I don’t think Disney would have a problem with you sketching as long you don’t make a botheration of yourself or try to sell stuff.

I’ve seen people sketching the Castle from the Noodle Station…I would love to have your skillz at Disney, so much stuff fills my eyes there that I would love to interpret through color on paper. I will have to stick with my camera.

Not a solo trip but November my sister and I are going for the first time with no kids to celebrate her b-day. So I can’t wait for your trip report and all the great places you find.

I’m a people watcher and don’t think people would be creeped out unless you follow them from park to park…then maybe you would be able to sketch security…lol!

p.s. run through the water spouts just for kicks!

Like you, I used to love visiting the parks solo while on my CP. It started out as necessity when others were working on my days off, but I quickly grew to love it. DTD was actually one of my favorite places to visit solo.

I still find that I like to go off on my own for a bit even when I travel with others to WDW. I like to get a box of popcorn and just sit on Main Street watching people make their way towards the castle. I love to imagine who is visiting WDW for the first time and feeling that first timer’s magic!

A holdover from my CP days is to always offer to take photos for people when I see just one person posing and the other taking the photo. People are almost always so excited to have a photo taken together without having to ask around.

Have a great time! And take lots of notes for a great solo trip report!

[QUOTE=KarenWDWCP;1044704]…

A holdover from my CP days is to always offer to take photos for people when I see just one person posing and the other taking the photo. People are almost always so excited to have a photo taken together without having to ask around.

…[/QUOTE]

Oh I do that to. There is nothing better then making someone else’s day a little more magical.

(I also like giving people a shout out when they have a birthday or anniversary button on. I always make sure for birthdays to use their name if I can read it…If I am in line with first time button people I asked them about their trip, answer any questions they might have give them any inside info if it seem to fit in to the conversation – like they voice a frustration or such. Magic is as magic does…)

[QUOTE=Screever;1044668]Streak in the fountain? Isn’t that a tradition we leave to Boss? :wink:

And what happens when you wait by the red phone booth?[/QUOTE]

Actually security has been trying to break him of that. But it IS entertaining to watch him jumping around when they TAZER him. :laugh:

The RED phone booth? Why you ANSWER it when it rings. (Just toying with the BLUE font! :whistling )

Do they still use the taser? The way ya’ll talk he should be used to it by now. I would think he would be up to the 120v line direct from the socket. :eek: