First visit to WL

This will be our first visit to WL in November, hoping it’s a good choice!! Should we request a certain area or is there something we shouldn’t miss? I believe we have a coutyard view with bunk beds.:confused:

We have never had what I would call a bad room in the WL. We have stayed in both the main building and Villas. We prefer the outward facing rooms facing the Contemporary if the trees were not in the way when in the Lodge itself. Also a first floor room gives you more room on the patio.
The one thing I will recommend is to plan some time during your stay to relax at the resort. There are so many little out of the way areas to relax, read a book, people watch, or even check out and escape it all. DW and I think WL and the Villas are the most relaxing of all the onsite resorts. Enjoy.

We really like the inner courtyard veiw. With that view you will look out over the pool. During one visit we were given a courtyard view that looked over the DVC villaswhich I didn’t think was as nice as the inner courtyard view.

You can ask to be a flag family at check in. One family every morning helps raise the flags on the roof. It’s very cool and worth the time.

WL is one of my favorites.
Of that, I like the north wing woods view rooms that on the higher floors above the tree line give views of the MK and Contemporary.
Inner courtyard is also nice, especially if you can get a view of Bay Lake and the pool.
I’ve also had first floor rooms facing the villas building and the common walkway. You’ll get lots of duckies and bunnies visiting.

:wub: So excited, can’t wait!! We’ve eaten at the Lodge before but I didn’t know it had a beach!!:laugh:

We have also stayed several times at WL and have not had a bad room. Once we had an inner courtyard room on the first floor that I thought I would hate, but we were facing the pool and could walk right out to the pool from our patio in about 15-20 paces. It was great! And as SG mentioned, as a bonus, we had daily visitors to our patio…aka duckies and bunnies:wub:

WL is one of our favorites.:wub: Your going to have a great time!

Here was our view from the last trip…:laugh::laugh::laugh:

We loved our stay at WL last year. We payed for a courtyard pool view room and I requested a room on the first floor close to the pool. The location was perfect. The pool was right outside our door, the dock for the boat was only about a two minute walk from our room, the laundry was about a minute walk, as well as the quick service restaurant.

You are going to love it there!

[QUOTE=mickeymotto;1035672]We have also stayed several times at WL and have not had a bad room. Once we had an inner courtyard room on the first floor that I thought I would hate, but we were facing the pool and could walk right out to the pool from our patio in about 15-20 paces. It was great! And as SG mentioned, as a bonus, we had daily visitors to our patio…aka duckies and bunnies:wub:

WL is one of our favorites.:wub: Your going to have a great time!

Here was our view from the last trip…:laugh::laugh::laugh:
[/QUOTE]

:eek: :laugh::laugh:

I love this resort!

We had a courtyard view of the Villas pool. It was beautiful and quiet.

Don’t miss the pool! The water slide is cool and the waterfall in the lobby goes outside and empties into the pool. That is really neat!

Whispering Canyon is fun, check it out.

The boat service to MK and Contemp. is awesome and it is not a long wait to catch a boat.

The beach is beautiful and peaceful. We had the whole thing to ourselves at dusk. DH and I grabbed a drink and a chair while DS played on the jungle gym. it was really nice. You can also watch the water parade from the beach.

There are also a lot of indoor places to relax. Lots of tucked away comfy chairs and views of the water etc. The rocking chairs in front of the fireplace in the lobby are cool.

The Cubs Den is the “babysitting” place for kids. We called it WDW School. My son LOVED it there. They have so much stuff for kids to do and they are well taken care of while you enjoy an adult evening out.

Have fun!

Lisa

Just remember, you can’t swim in Bay Lake, or any other lake in WDW.

Mickeymotto, I had that view also, but if I looked straight ahead, I could see the castle through the trees. And the smell from the smokehouse made me mad for ribs.
As for duckies and bunnies, somewhere in a trip report of mine from 2008, there should be some pictures attached. I just wish I knew how to put previously attached photos into new posts.

Link to thread with picture of duckies and bunnies:

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/wdw-resorts/51127-wilderness-lodge.html

We loved WL for it’s proximity to MK. Having the option of either the bus or boat to get to MK was definitely a bonus - we choose the boat each time.

Make sure you make time to watch the water parade one night…all you have to do is go down to the boat launch and it will pass right by (here’s a few photos). One more thing, we were in bed early on night and were awakened by a loud booming noise outside…we opened the curtains and could partially see the MK fireworks from our room.

Have fun on your trip and enjoy!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1035714]Just remember, you can’t swim in Bay Lake, or any other lake in WDW.

Mickeymotto, I had that view also, but if I looked straight ahead, I could see the castle through the trees. And the smell from the smokehouse made me mad for ribs.
As for duckies and bunnies, somewhere in a trip report of mine from 2008, there should be some pictures attached. I just wish I knew how to put previously attached photos into new posts.

Link to thread with picture of duckies and bunnies:

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/wdw-resorts/51127-wilderness-lodge.html[/QUOTE]

If you knew me you would know swimming in the lake would NOT be an issue :laugh: but the ducks and bunnies are great :wub:

Mickey Ears, the pics are wonderful, thanks for the info. We will make sure to get down there one night!!

The ducks and bunnies are great, SG. I especially loved how all the ducks just swam around the pool at WL. A few kids try to catch them, but they would just swim away and then back again. Truly one of my favorite resorts.:wub:

If you’re at the pool when it opens, a lifeguard just may pick one of your kids to be “Sheriff for the Day” - they’ll get a cowboy hat, neckerchief, tin star sheriff badge and get the privilege of opening the water slide for the day. May daughter was picked and she got to shout at the top of her lungs “THE SLIDE IS NOW OPEN”. She wore her sheriff stuff most of the day.

That may be so, but I was just thinking how when the resort launch was pulling up to the Poly, there were about 5 kids running in and out of the water as their parents just stayed in their prone position on their lounges drinking:pirate: and didn’t stop them, despite the big sign that says no swimming.:glare:
You can do what you want, but there are gators and snakes out there:eek:

I knew there was something else I was thinking.
I don’t sleep well, at home or when traveling. There have been a few times I’ve walked out to the dock just before dawn and watched the sunrise there, or at least enough until I was ready to try and go back to sleep. I was even out there in the dead of winter when it was actually in the low 40s. Can you imagine a lone person on the dock in the dark wearing a heavy winter parka fully zipped up and buttoned down? In Florida?!
Anyway, it’s beautiful and it’s also very peaceful and a great spot for meditation or even prayer (not me, I’m a heathen:nonono2:, but I know many of you would be so inspired).

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1035756]That may be so, but I was just thinking how when the resort launch was pulling up to the Poly, there were about 5 kids running in and out of the water as their parents just stayed in their prone position on their lounges drinking:pirate: and didn’t stop them, despite the big sign that says no swimming.:glare:
You can do what you want, but there are gators and snakes out there:eek:

I knew there was something else I was thinking.
I don’t sleep well, at home or when traveling. There have been a few times I’ve walked out to the dock just before dawn and watched the sunrise there, or at least enough until I was ready to try and go back to sleep. I was even out there in the dead of winter when it was actually in the low 40s. Can you imagine a lone person on the dock in the dark wearing a heavy winter parka fully zipped up and buttoned down? In Florida?!
Anyway, it’s beautiful and it’s also very peaceful and a great spot for meditation or even prayer (not me, I’m a heathen:nonono2:, but I know many of you would be so inspired).[/QUOTE]

What are the temps like end of november- beginning of Dec.? And I may be inspired to say a prayer or two in gratitude for being there!! :wub:

I’ve lived in South Florida for 25 years now and all I can say about weather in late November/early December is it can be all over the place depending on how early and how strong the Canadian Clippers make their way south. It could be in the 80s, it could be in the 50s. So start looking at the extended forecasts about 10 days before you’re going to arrive and keep checking because things change, but you will be able to see the trend and prepare for it.
Also a lot of the time it will get fairly cold overnight and then when the sun comes up, it warms very quickly and then of course once the sun sets, it will cool back down at varying rates depending on how cloudy it got during the day or if there are no clouds. No clouds means no “blanket” to keep the day’s heat in, so those will be the coldest nights if a front has come through.

:blush: Sorry for all the questions but does WL have a laundry? Looked on the fact sheet but couldn’t find it! Thanks Trish

Yes, all Disney resorts have self serve laundries.
Never be sorry for asking questions because you don’t know or are unsure.
You want answers? It’s what we do.