Five essential Disney vacation tips

I stumbled over this at CNN.
Generally it isn’t anything we don’t know already, but I still wanted to share.

You should read the article, I’m just going to summerize

Five essential Disney vacation tips - CNN.com

1. Prepare physically
    you’re going to walk a lot, so develop your endurance before you leave
  2. Prepare mentally
    discuss who will have the kids and who can go off on their own and when or risk arguments
  3. Less is more
    don’t rush to do everything, especially when it’s africa hot
  4. Bring your own snacks
    save money and don’t buy park food:angel:
  5. Stay in a hotel outside the park or rent a house
    I fully disagree and so do most of you and we know the reasons why.
    Between EMH, not having to drive to parks and if you do, you won’t have to pony up the $14 to park, there are many reasons to stay inside the limits of the world.

Interesting list. Most of them are common sense to us, but to someone who has never been there, it could be helpful to know. As for the do not stay in the park: I am suprised Disney didn’t shut down CNN for that one:whistling

What? Do you really expect Disney to go to war with Time Warner and risk having all Disney programming blocked from Time Warner’s cable systems?
And how about the tip to not buy Disney food and instead to bring your own?

They are talking as if you are going to a trip to six flags. The food is so wonderful at Disney, and the perks of staying on site?. Another example of the media not knowing what they are talking about.

Ehhh… 1-3 are common knowledge to us, I guess.

4… I mean, I guess I’d pack a bottle of water instead of buying one there. And we’ll bring our own candy sometimes. But I wouldn’t pack a picnic. That’s just too much to carry around. And I agree with Beth - Disney’s food is (for the most part) good. At least the table service. Dining is like part of the Disney experience. You haven’t really experienced Disney World unless you’ve paid $30 for a character breakfast! :laugh:

And I think most of us would agree that it’s totally worth it to stay on Disney property - even if just at a Value resort.

I also agree with the staying on resort. Stay within your budget and you’re more than happy. I’ve stayed 3 out of 4 times at values, the 4th moderate. Values are great and would never trade them to save about $10/night off resort-or less (that’s what it amounts to when you figure parking, having to rent a car for transportation and the hassle of having to deal with the traffic yourself)

I agree, if you’re on the dining plan, you don’t even need to carry snacks in cause we always have left at the end that we’re trying to spend on take home snacks.

Yes, alot of walking, so yes, pace yourself. But as anyone on this board can verify. Disney is such a different vacation. From the time you walk in the gates it’s this magical feeling that you feel like you are in another world, a world of fun, no cares, just enjoy.

took a pedometer with me this last trip we averaged 15 miles a day

That list makes me laugh…where are the “real” tips like book your meals ahead of time, graba fast past, eat a dole whip…LOL LOL LOL…

I agree it’s too much of a pain to be dragging a cooler along. After living in Hawaii for 3 years, 2.50 for a bottle of water is nothing! I expect amusement park prices to be high so I don’t mind and disney is cheaper than Sea World! I couldn’t believe it!

Now our family of 5 has outgrown the Value resorts, I just don’t see paying for 2 rooms or a suite for the same price as 2 rooms if I can get a great deal off property. Paying for parking was still cheaper with my awesome deal (if going for only a few days) and we still used disney’s inner-transportation to hop. The trams are actually very convenient.

I’m so glad we have the option to stay at Shades of Green because the square footage compares to a deluxe and we pay the Category 2 rate for only 123.00 a night, far cheaper than a deluxe, with 99% of the perks!

I wouldn’t recommend CNN’s list to first-timers.

[QUOTE=fanofdisney;1056638]I wouldn’t recommend any of this to first-timers, they’re going to be overwhlelmed as it is.

My son has autism so we get the Guest Assistant Card, don’t have to worry about the fast-pass thing. We are very lucky I know.[/QUOTE]

SORRY to clarify I wouldn’t recommend any of the 5 things on the list to first-timers, YES I would recommend your suggestions!

[QUOTE=fanofdisney;1056638]I wouldn’t recommend any of this to first-timers, they’re going to be overwhlelmed as it is.

I always recommend this to first timers because if not they come home very disappointed. I have been in line behind plenty of newbies in restuarant lines and they couldn’t find anywhere to eat! Always breaks my heart!

[QUOTE=Pinocchio’s Pal;1056640][QUOTE=fanofdisney;1056638]I wouldn’t recommend any of this to first-timers, they’re going to be overwhlelmed as it is.

I always recommend this to first timers because if not they come home very disappointed. I have been in line behind plenty of newbies in restuarant lines and they couldn’t find anywhere to eat! Always breaks my heart![/QUOTE]

sorry I’m trying to correct my posts, please re-read!

Since we walk every morning #1 isn’t a problem for me. Standing in line after line is what knocks me out. My back starts hurting. As long as we keep walking I’m fine.

SOG = the BEST kept secret in WDW. Years ago we could not have been able to do a week onsite without SOG. As the kids got older and finances improved we could move up to the deluxe resorts. But every now and then SOG calls. They are so friendly and go out of thier way on everything. And to talk with the younger troops and thier families we run into brings back many memories from our first trips to the world.

As one of the original hotels built in WDW, SOG IS (or was) a deluxe resort.
SOG, or rather the resort formerly known as The Golf Resort is unavailable to civilians like me.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1056652]As one of the original hotels built in WDW, SOG IS (or was) a deluxe resort.
SOG, or rather the resort formerly known as The Golf Resort is unavailable to civilians like me.[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget that awful Snow White theming they tried for awhile. Awful does not begin to describe that disaster.

I can’t forget what I’ve never known:blink:

[QUOTE=fanofdisney;1056636]I agree it’s too much of a pain to be dragging a cooler along. After living in Hawaii for 3 years, 2.50 for a bottle of water is nothing! I expect amusement park prices to be high so I don’t mind and disney is cheaper than Sea World! I couldn’t believe it!

Now our family of 5 has outgrown the Value resorts, I just don’t see paying for 2 rooms or a suite for the same price as 2 rooms if I can get a great deal off property. Paying for parking was still cheaper with my awesome deal (if going for only a few days) and we still used disney’s inner-transportation to hop. The trams are actually very convenient.

I’m so glad we have the option to stay at Shades of Green because the square footage compares to a deluxe and we pay the Category 2 rate for only 123.00 a night, far cheaper than a deluxe, with 99% of the perks![/QUOTE]

didn’t disney add suites to pop,and POR has rooms for 5 …depending on old the 5th edition is

Where’s that like button. I keep looking but I can’t seem to find it :laugh: