Florida students back to school?

Does anyone know what date the Florida schools are scheduled to go back in August?

The schools seem to open around August 21.
I don’t have kids, so I’m not really sure. I just know about when the school zones become active again so I can avoid them. (Speed traps and mothers cars all over the place)

Usually the second or third week of August, I believe.

I thought it was around the first or second week in August.

I wanted to be safe, so I said a later date.
It’s probably after the 14th.
What I’ve noticed is that seasonal amusement parks cease 7 day operation and cut back to weekends only in mid August across the nation.
Based on that, I’d say that schools in Florida will reopen by the third week of August.

I just checked Broward County.
Schools reopen on August 24 with employee planning running the week of the 17th.

Palm Beach County is August 17th.

Is that when the teachers go back, or the students?
I can’t see schools in Boca starting a full week before Coral Springs.

One of my good friends is a teacher in Palm Beach County & said the first day for students in PBC is August 18th.

Orange County is August 24th also, as well as Miami-Dade County, Osceola, & Polk Counties.

Palm Beach county is August 18th!

:blush:(wishy already said that!)

It is August 24th in Hillsborough County.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;953078]Is that when the teachers go back, or the students?
I can’t see schools in Boca starting a full week before Coral Springs.[/QUOTE]

That is the date for students.

That’s strange because my son received an acceptance letter for a school in the mail yesterday and it says school starts the 17th.

Acceptance letter for public school??? :blink:

http://www.palmbeach.k12.fl.us/PublicAffairs/Calendar/PDFs/2009-10/2009-10_Calendar_English.pdf

It says the 1st Nine Weeks starts on Aug 18th so I don’t know if that’s the first day of school or the day before doesn’t count towards that. No clue, but that’s the calendar above.

Is your son entering pre-school? They may start earlier.

Poor kids! I remember when we didn’t have to think about school til September. My daughter doesn’t start school til Sept 8 and then we leave for WDW on Sept 11. We are in Canada so I guess that makes a difference.

Kim

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;953142]Acceptance letter for public school??? :blink:

http://www.palmbeach.k12.fl.us/PublicAffairs/Calendar/PDFs/2009-10/2009-10_Calendar_English.pdf

It says the 1st Nine Weeks starts on Aug 18th so I don’t know if that’s the first day of school or the day before doesn’t count towards that. No clue, but that’s the calendar above.

Is your son entering pre-school? They may start earlier.[/QUOTE]

I see the calendar and you are right, but I just looked at my paperwork again (just to make sure I have not completely lost it!!:laugh:) and it still says the 17th! Maybe they got it wrong?? I guess I will find out at orientation.

Anyways, my soon to be 3 year old son was accepted into Spady Montessori School. It is through the public school system but it is a choice program and it is a lottery. I hope this school thing doesn’t put a damper on my Disney addiction!!:laugh:

[QUOTE=johnkimv;953159]
I hope this school thing doesn’t put a damper on my Disney addiction!!:laugh:[/QUOTE]

Don’t worry, it will.
And I still am confused why students are returning to the classroom in Palm Beach County a week earlier than Broward.

2009/10 School Calendar

Of course, I too remember that when I was a kid, school didn’t start until the Thursday after Labor Day for my first years and then later, the Tuesday after Labor Day.
This middle of August stuff is too much!
Then again, our school year would sometime during the last week of June, often as late as June 30.

OK, I’ve been doing a little looking and found this:
Palm Beach and Martin go back on August 18.
However, Dade, Broward, and Monroe all go back on the 24th.
But here’s the more important dates as far as WDW are concerned
Osceola, Orange, Hillsboro, Pasco, Marion, and Polk Counties all return on the 24th.
However, Brevard returns on August 10!!!

These represent all the communities around WDW including Tampa/St Pete, Lakeland, and Ocala as well as Cocoa Beach/Kennedy Space Center as well as Kissimmee and Orlando.

Seems like most of Florida returns on the 24th, at least the major metro areas.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;953449]Don’t worry, it will.
And I still am confused why students are returning to the classroom in Palm Beach County a week earlier than Broward.

2009/10 School Calendar

Of course, I too remember that when I was a kid, school didn’t start until the Thursday after Labor Day for my first years and then later, the Tuesday after Labor Day.
This middle of August stuff is too much!
Then again, our school year would sometime during the last week of June, often as late as June 30.[/QUOTE]

Most schools up north still wait until right around Labor Day to go back, when
I was in school in SoFla I HATED going back in August. But we do get out later here obviously, our last day of school is usually around June 10th-ish.