Flying with 2 1/4 yr old......need ticket for her?

For those that have flown with 2 yr old kids, what was your experience? My niece was told by a AAA that the 2 yr old doesn’t need a ticket. She turned two in January. The trip is in two weeks. Were you asked for a birth certificate for children that looked about two-ish but didn’t have a ticket? Everything I see, says the 2 yr needs a ticket. I’m concerned she is going to show up at the airport and they’ll say where’s her ticket.

Yes, the second they are two they’re supposed to have a ticket.

Whether or not anyone asks, who knows? Once my kids looked like they could talk, the TSA agent always asks them what their names are in order to match it up to their tickets, but no one’s ever asked for ID and I’ve never had an actual ID of any kind for them with me. (One year I had to explain VERY FIRMLY to my son that this was one instance where his three-year-old self telling everyone his name was “Baby Kitty Cat” was NOT going to happen.)

Instead of worrying about it, wouldn’t it be easier to just buy a ticket? (And also a lot more comfortable. I can’t imagine having to sit with a squirmy toddler on my lap for hours on end.)

[QUOTE=Andrea;1141689[B] Once my kids looked like they could talk, the TSA agent always asks them what their names are in order to match it up to their tickets, but no one’s ever asked for ID and I’ve never had an actual ID of any kind for them with me. (One year I had to explain VERY FIRMLY to my son that this was one instance where his three-year-old self telling everyone his name was “Baby Kitty Cat” was NOT going to happen.)

[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I could see my DGD saying “where is Fayla, she’s my sister”. Fayla is her imaginary friend, whose age change every day and can do the most amazing things.

Before my granddaughter turned 2, no ticket was needed. As far as any I.D., although they said it wasn’t required, we did take her birth certificate with us. We once casually mentioned something to the TSA staff about I.D. for kids, domestic issues with one parent kidnapping a kid from another, etc. They did tell us that they didn’t get involved in domestic issues. The rules for kids flying is so loose, they don’t really have much of a monitoring system for children, at least not yet.

I always thought it was children UNDER 2 don’t need a ticket but do need one as soon as they turn two. The SWA site says under 2 can fly for free on a lap and you need a birth certificate to prove the child is under 2. Check the website for the airline they plan to use.

Don’t leave anything to chance. Call the airline you plan on flying and let them tell you exactly what they allow and exactly what documentation you may need. When my granddaughter turned 2 and we called the airlines just to be sure, USAirways told us one thing that didn’t match Southwest. Not sure, but perhaps the rules change by airline? I have no idea, just be sure you get a name, etc. and document whatever they tell you just in case.

Well, it’s not for us. I have my hands full keeping my DH on track.

My niece said she was told by AAA that her daughter doesn’t need a plane ticket. She turned 2 at the end of Jan. I’ve tried telling my sister the last thing niece needs is to show up at airport and find out a ticket is needed for the 2 yr old.

I was just wondering if others have routinely been asked for birth certificate or something by airlines to prove age of child.

I never worried about proving our granddaughter’s age, I was more worried about someone thinking we had taken her illegally.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1141700]
I was just wondering if others have routinely been asked for birth certificate or something by airlines to prove age of child.[/QUOTE]

SWA requires a birth certificate for infants flying as lap babies. Your niece needs to check their airline and see what their policy is just in case the AAA agent is wrong.