Flying with Continental Airlines

Given all the current chaos at Canadian airports with US bound flights and no one telling us what constitutes a “Small Purse”, since that’s all we’re allowed to carry on the flights now, we’re considering an alternate route to Orlando for our trip in December 2010.

There is a small airline that flies out of our Island Airport here in Toronto that has flights to Newark. We were thinking of flying to Newark on Porter Airlines the afternoon before our Disney arrival, spending the night in a hotel near the Newark Airport and then switching to a Continental flight from Newark to Orlando. Continental has direct flights from Newark to Orlando. Has anyone ever flown with Continental and can speak to their experiences?

We’ve only ever flown Air Canada so don’t know much about Continental. Also this will be at the start of December, our travel dates are Nov 30 - Dec 8 2010.

This would be our first time on a US domestic flight. We’d be looking at doing the 6:45am or the 7:45am Continental flight out of Newark.

Thoughts/experiences with Continental Airlines? What are the flights like? What about the check in process etc.

About 95% of the flights we take are on Continental from Newark to Orlando. They have a good reputation at the Newark airport in my opinion; nicest terminal there, a HUGE fleet out of Newark, & of ALL our flights only one time did it leave more than 30 minutes late (& that was to LAX, not even Orlando). They’ve been really fast & efficient in our case and I’d estimate that in the past 6 years of living up here we’ve flown Continental out of Newark about 18-23 times. There aren’t a lot of frills (like in seat televisions, XM Radio, etc.) but I’ll take fast, easy, & efficient over frills anyday.

[QUOTE=Mystic;1010448]

This would be our first time on a US domestic flight. We’d be looking at doing the 6:45am or the 7:45am Continental flight out of Newark.

Thoughts/experiences with Continental Airlines? What are the flights like? What about the check in process etc.

PS: I know those exact two early morning flights cause those are the ones we take (are they CO292 & CO1592?). The earlier you leave in the morning the better off, flights after 2pm leaving from Newark have a bigger chance of delays.

You’ll be fine on one of those flights.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;1010452]PS: I know those exact two early morning flights cause those are the ones we take (are they CO292 & CO1592?). The earlier you leave in the morning the better off, flights after 2pm leaving from Newark have a bigger chance of delays.

You’ll be fine on one of those flights.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! That’s exactly the type of info we’re looking for.

We too are Canadian travellers, and I would have to suggest that you take into consideration the extra time that it will take for you to fly out of Toronto Island (under the same US bound travel scrutiny) to Newark, your time and money for a hotel night spent, then going through another check-in and flight etc, vs the small inconvenience of having a small carry-on, but only dealing with one flight and being in Orlando in 2 hours or so.

We have not flown out of Newark to Orlando but we have flown Detroit to Orlando and while there are many more flights to choose from and prices can be much better than Canadian flights, we currently prefer to pay the extra to fly from home. We find our time of travelling to/from the American Airport isn’t worth the cost savings to us.

Also, by the time you actually travel, almost a year from now, you may find restrictions have changed again.

I checked our airline for our trip in March and noticed they are waving any baggage check fees because of the reduction of carry-on allowances. If you fly two airlines, you may end up paying quite a bit in extra charges as well.

Just something to consider.
Happy Travels!!

We live in the Niagara area and we fly out of Buffalo NY. The savings alone are huge and well worth any extra time it takes crossing the border. We take the Niagara Airbus to the airport and back which is nice not having to bother with any parking.

I’m just starting our 2010 trip planning and was online checking out flights, dates and was amazed at the cost of flying out of Toronto. The taxes alone made me do a doubletake… I’d much rather put that money into our actual vacation then just the flight to get to our vacation KWIM?

Just my 2 cents worth :slight_smile: Have a wonderful trip!

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;1010456]

Also, by the time you actually travel, almost a year from now, you may find restrictions have changed again.
Just something to consider.
QUOTE]

Ditto! After every terrorist act and/or near terrorist act, there seems to be a huge swing of the pendulum restriction wise…and then things seem to swing back towards the middle. I bet when your trip rolls around, you’ll see some very different rules.
Good luck!

We fly long haul with Continental and the service is always good- never had any complaints at all- we always consider their flights when booking long haul to the USA- give them a try.

Glad to hear.

We know that things security wise will probably change by the time we have to book our airfare. We are simply looking at options and looking for people’s experiences with Continental.

Fly Continental into Newark all the time on business and always try for the earlier flights. Never had a problem. Also flew with them before we relocated to South Carolina. Go for it.
Just get a hotel room ONSITE. Beware of the flea bag places “”“just off site”"". They might have national names, but that is it.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1010480]Fly Continental into Newark all the time on business and always try for the earlier flights. Never had a problem. Also flew with them before we relocated to South Carolina. Go for it.
Just get a hotel room ONSITE. Beware of the flea bag places “”“just off site”"". They might have national names, but that is it.[/QUOTE]

Is there a particular hotel at Newark that you would recommend? We were considering the Sheraton because they have a shuttle. Is there a hotel actually located at the airport?

The Newark Liberty Marriot is right onsite.
When I travel up there I stay w/ my dad who is 20 minutes away from the airport. Call the desk and do a little research. Sheraton is a better name brand that a regular old Days Inn or Comfort type brand level. It should be ok. I know they do business meetings and small convention groups at both the Sheraton and Marriot

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1010507]The Newark Liberty Marriot is right onsite.
When I travel up there I stay w/ my dad who is 20 minutes away from the airport. Call the desk and do a little research. Sheraton is a better name brand that a regular old Days Inn or Comfort type brand level. It should be ok. I know they do business meetings and small convention groups at both the Sheraton and Marriot[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I looked into the Marriott at the Newark Airport. If this is the route we opt for, we’ll definitely stay at the Marriott.