Fond Memories of Space Mountain

[B]In my past 7 visits to WDW I have became A Huge Space Mountain Fan everysince I first rode it in 1981. I was A little scared of Space Mountain untill I rode the TTA through the Building and saw the track in Darkness. I though “OK how bad can this be?” Well I tried it and became instantly hooked to Space Mountain. In 2000 and 2004 I got to see what the inside looked like with the lights on. I was supprised at how Disney was able to fit A Roller Coaster inside A Building only 183 feet high, 300 feet in Diameter. I love side B because of A Long drop towards the end of the ride. I hope to go back to WDW and see the newly Refurbished Space Mountain[/B]

The refurbished version at Disneyland is amazing! I’m sure WDW’s will be just as awesome. It adds soooo much to the experience and makes Space better than ever! You will love it!

P.S. Welcome to Mousebuzz! :happy:

Hello there! Welcome to MB, what a nice story. I too am excited about the refurb 'cause Space Mountain was starting to feel a little rough to me. If the refurb ends up being anything like the refurb they did in Disneyland it will be fantastic.

Hi, and welcome to MB. I share your love of Space Mtn, it’s a favorite of mine. It’s the first thing I head for as soon as I get to MK.

But I gotta tell ya: those rocketships really needed to be redesigned. I have such a hard time climbing out of them at the end of the ride! As much as I will miss them this summer, I’m looking forward to the rehab.

I am a BIG fan of Space Mtn…it is my favorite ride in all of WDW…BUT I hope that after the refurb, it is more like the DL version. Specifically, I hope that in the ride itself, they add the louder music to help fill up the space of space and really hit all of your senses! That would be my only request…I’ve heard it is going to a side-by-side rocket ship…if so I will miss the old spaceships.

I remember being scared of it when I was little… but my DD- rode it for the first time when she was about 5. Well- She LOVED LOVED IT! So that day alone- she rode it 5 times. We were cracking up at her zest for the thrill ride… (we were using fastpass, we would get 4 tickets and take turns taking her on it) She thinks it is great… and was sad it was on rehab this trip…but she cannot wait to ride it when it is back up.

(by the way, my computer keeps telling me that fastpass is misspelled- No it is not- silly computer…)

I may be the only person who hopes it’s nothing like the DL version! I enjoyed Space Mountain over at DL but feel like the 2 should be different from one another. Obviously, DL’s is newer and has better effects but I LOVE WDW’s Space Mountain and hope they don’t change too much…

On my first ride, the lights were on.

They simply couldn’t rebuild MK’s Space Mountain into a clone of DL’s Space Mountain. Not without doing major major reconstruction and certainly not in 8-10 months!. MK is always going to be the two mirror imaged tracks with two stations. In fact, during this refurb, they aren’t going to alter the layout, even if they replace the entire ride’s tracks. Think of this more in terms of them replacing the pavement down to the foundation of the highway and adding new electronic signs.

torches? or did they have indoor electricity then?

You’re looking for it, aren’t you.
One of these days… pow, zoom!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;979055]You’re looking for it, aren’t you.
One of these days… pow, zoom![/QUOTE]

Work with me , Spridle, I’m on a mission.

Can you believe that I have never gotten to ride Space mountain when I was old enough to remember. It was always closed when I went and guess what? My first family trip with my children and it’s closed!!!

Mom, if it makes you feel any better, I’ve been to Disneyland exactly two times.
In 2002, Matterhorn was down, although my last night there I was able to pull off 3 rides on Space Mountain and 4 rides on Big Thunder in the last hour they were open. (There was a parade going on)
The second time was 2005 and Space Mountain wouldn’t be reopened for another month. They didn’t even have a soft open while I was there. But at least I got to ride Matterhorn 2 or 3 times that visit.

Way back in the 80s, I was on a business trip to Anaheim, and I snuck away and grabbed a cab to hit DL. I rode Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride first, then headed over to Space Mountain. I was in line behind a couple of kids, brothers who thought I was a total wacko creepy adult riding alone. Guess they were right.
I loved the ride so much! It was not only my first trip to a Disney park, but it was also my first time on a big coaster, if you can call it that (by today’s standards, it’s probably pretty tame…)
One of my favorite Disney moments. Ever.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;979106]Way back in the 80s, I was on a business trip to Anaheim, and I snuck away and grabbed a cab to hit DL. I rode Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride first, then headed over to Space Mountain. I was in line behind a couple of kids, brothers who thought I was a total wacko creepy adult riding alone. Guess they were right.
I loved the ride so much! It was not only my first trip to a Disney park, but it was also my first time on a big coaster, if you can call it that (by today’s standards, it’s probably pretty tame…)
One of my favorite Disney moments. Ever.[/QUOTE]

My first ride on SM (Nov 96) was the day I was doing John Denver at the Dolphin for a corporate event and because of early load in and set up combined with a late afternoon sound check and an 11 PM showtime, I had time enough to hit all three parks (not many rides though) and even watch Illuminations.
On the other hand, SM wasn’t my first big boy coaster. That honor goes to Great American Scream Machine at Great Adventure (Oct 92), and that one is indeed a big boy coaster with 7 inversions and a 150 foot plus first drop.
First time through, I had my eyes closed most of the time and my stomach was in my throat. But we got right back on and even got the first car. I kept my eyes open that time.