Former Monorail Pilot’s Explanation of Crash

I saw this on the Disney Blog:

Former Monorail Pilot’s Explanation of Crash | The Disney Blog

[B]
PLEASE WATCH IT WITH CAUTION . . . THE IMAGES ARE VERY SAD![/B] :crying:

It is unreal the speed at which this sort of thing comes together these days, the power of open content. I hope the ease at which information like this flows will aid the investigators in rapidly finding the root causes of this tragic accident and help them to quickly and accurately implement measures to prevent this type of accident in the future.

Very sad and like most accidents, it sounds like it could have been easily avoided with some care.

Very very sad.:crying:

I don’t know… I don’t see how someone who wasn’t there knows what happens.

This is very sad.

I still want to know who was literally asleep at the switch!
This had to have been human error and none of it on the part of either monorail pilot.
In fact, whoever was asleep at the switch is responsible for the pilot of Pink having to live the rest of his life second guessing and feeling guilty for something that was entirely out of his control!

Everytime I see a picture I just think how lucky it is that there was not a family sitting in the front of that monorail. I know I have sat there so many times. It is horrible that this happened and that someone lost their life, but I’m so glad it wasn’t even more tragic than it is. I don’t understand how this happend and how it wasn’t stopped by so many people that should have been watching. I suppose it is another case of people being to relaxed on the job and things becoming too routine.

soo soo sad I just hope that they can figure out some new protocals for better safety even yet.

Personally, I don’t think they need to institute any new protocols or procedures.
People just need to be aware of what they are doing and need to remember to use their radios.
Seriously, how do you not know there is a train in the station if you’re a platform CM in that station?! As soon as Pink began to enter the station, someone needed to be on the radio telling Pink’s driver to stop.
If in the future, they want to add rear view cameras to the Mark VIII monorails (these would be the replacement monorails for the current Mark VI trains), fine. If they need to install additional sensors to the switches, fine.
But seriously, since 1982 when the Epcot line was built, this has never happened.
It’s called PAY ATTENTION!!!
I will say this though, I’m very surprised that Pink’s pilot didn’t notice he was on the wrong beam, even if he was paying more attention to blindly backing his train.

I wonder if there are any new details today?

OMG! I saw this for the first time about 25 minutes ago on the morning news! How devistating and completely tragic!!! I truely believe that this could have been avoided, but to say that is useless, it happened. I believe in Fate and this must have been what is written in the cards. My sympathies to all involved and their families! I am sure that this pilots death will stand for something, even if it is more caution in the future! RIP!

Again this is so sad and I feel so bad for Austins family.
Does anyone think WDW guest will be scared now to ride the monorail? I know for my Sept trip Im trying to figure out a new transportation plan. I know it was an accident but Ive always been scared of the monorail but never thought anything like this happened in Disney.

Such a terribly sad accident. I’m sure Disney will fully investigate and aquire further safety procedures if need be. I don’t think anyone should be afraid to ride. If anything, the monorail pilots will be even more aware/cautious from now on. My condolences to the pilot’s friends and family.

Tragic! With a upcoming trip we are not talking about this to our kids. If they hear it on the news we will explain it. Its hard to beleive something like this can happen at a place we all go to get away from these things. We all need to ride the monorail on our next trip in memory of a cast member who was lost fufilling our deams.

Well, I believe they only let people ride up front on the resort lines. And 2am is extremely late/early for a family to be riding alongside the driver. I’m sure there is a cutoff time of some sort.

So really, it’s lucky this happened on a park track at such an odd hour (verses a resort track or any track really at peak transporation time, however I would like to think that at the busiest times of the day, they are much more aware of what is going on).

I do agree that this was human error. Who’s error, I am not sure. But whatever the case, this happened. I’m positive that WDW is going to see to it that it doesn’t happen, again.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;973931]Personally, I don’t think they need to institute any new protocols or procedures.
People just need to be aware of what they are doing and need to remember to use their radios.
Seriously, how do you not know there is a train in the station if you’re a platform CM in that station?! As soon as Pink began to enter the station, someone needed to be on the radio telling Pink’s driver to stop.
If in the future, they want to add rear view cameras to the Mark VIII monorails (these would be the replacement monorails for the current Mark VI trains), fine. If they need to install additional sensors to the switches, fine.
But seriously, since 1982 when the Epcot line was built, this has never happened.
It’s called PAY ATTENTION!!!
I will say this though, I’m very surprised that Pink’s pilot didn’t notice he was on the wrong beam, even if he was paying more attention to blindly backing his train.[/QUOTE]

That is the problem right there! I’ve read that a platform CM is NOT REQUIRED after hours . . . only radio control. So there was NOT one there, or with a flick of a switch he could have stopped the crash.

The problem is the SWITCH, the switch was the wrong way and caused the Pink to go onto the EPCOT track and NOT the MK EXPRESS track.

Not so. I’ve ridden in front of all three lines, Resort, Express, and Epcot this year.
I’ve also ridden up front on the last Resort monorail of the day once (GF to Contemporary), largely because I was the only passenger on the train and I was shown to the cockpit by the station platform CM.
If anything, the family wasn’t up front because they were 6 people and had a stroller.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;973966]Not so. I’ve ridden in front of all three lines, Resort, Express, and Epcot this year.
I’ve also ridden up front on the last Resort monorail of the day once (GF to Contemporary), largely because I was the only passenger on the train and I was shown to the cockpit by the station platform CM.
If anything, the family wasn’t up front because they were 6 people and had a stroller.[/QUOTE]

Okay, then we’re lucky the family had six people and a stroller.

We often ride into Epcot from TTC in the cockpit.

SG – I have read there is a spur off the TTC line that is used to re-order trains. For some reason, I think that train was supposed to be backed onto the spur, but nobody switched the track and he actually just backed up onto the regular track instead of the spur. As I mentioned, one photo I saw seemed to show the train well back of the platform area, but I can’t find the site where the photo showed up! I will keep looking so everyone can decide if I am crazy or not.