Fort Wilderness Questions

I have never ever stayed here and know next to nothing about it. But I…might be planning a trip? In the next year? :ph34r: :angel:

-Are you able to get a camping space if you just have a tent (and possibly a car) and not a campter/trailer/pop up?

-How much does it cost each night to camp out? (Someone told me it was really cheap…)

-Is it really cold and lame to camp in the winter months, and is it terrible hot in spring? When’s a good camping time?

-What are the campgrounds like? Do they have quiet hours? …clean restrooms and food/snackage/transportation close at hand?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions later…right now its just a vague pipe dream. Thanks y’all!

[QUOTE=Screever;988712]I have never ever stayed here and know next to nothing about it. But I…might be planning a trip? In the next year? :ph34r: :angel:

-Are you able to get a camping space if you just have a tent (and possibly a car) and not a campter/trailer/pop up?

-How much does it cost each night to camp out? (Someone told me it was really cheap…)

-Is it really cold and lame to camp in the winter months, and is it terrible hot in spring? When’s a good camping time?

-What are the campgrounds like? Do they have quiet hours? …clean restrooms and food/snackage/transportation close at hand?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions later…right now its just a vague pipe dream. Thanks y’all![/QUOTE]

• They do have tent sites, absolutely. There is room for your car in those sites also.

• For me, personally, it would never get cold enough in Florida to not be able to camp in a tent BUT there CAN be cold fronts and random nights where it can possibly get down to the lower 40’s or possibly even a higher 30’s overnight. This, to me, still isn’t cold enough to bother me but for many obviously it would be chilly. You’d need to make sure you have a sweatshirt, sleeping bag & extra blanket just in case that happens.

You also probably don’t want to go tenting there in the summer, it can be SOOO unbearably hot & rainy. July, August, and September would just be out of the question for me.

If I were to sleep in a tent at Fort Wilderness I’d probably choose Oct-Nov or Feb-March.

• Fort Wilderness ammenities are AMAZING in my opinion. Everything has always been very clean and enjoyable when I’ve been there. As far as snack/food/transportation goes your choices are excellent. You have two big camp stores with grocery items, some health/beauty stuff, your regular Disney resort merch, and camping supplies. You’ll have bus transportation available to all the parks & boats that will take you to the MK, Contemporary, and the Wilderness Lodge. There are two restaurants there; Hoop Dee Doo (meal with a great show) and a ‘country’ like buffet called Trail’s End which is one of my favorites. There is a small bar & arcade inside the same building as Trail’s End.

They also have a petting zoo, horse ranch, boat rentals (mostly canoe & row boats), golf cart & bicycle rentals, volleyball court (sand), nice new pool, & tennis.

Oh, as far as price goes it really depends on what season it is and which camping site you choose, they have deluxe sites, premium, full hook up, tent sites, etc… a lot of different choices. I would say the average price per night would be anywhere between $50-$110./per night depending on what/when you choose.

Thanks for all the details Wishy!! I think this year my GS troop wants to go to Disney with our cookie money . . . I’m thinking the tent camping option is the way we can afford it! 'Specially since we can get the tent FREE from the GS (well borrow)!

Also, when I was first married we went camping all the time . . . and NO MATTER what time of the year it was, we planned on extra blankets, jackets. Nights get chilly regardless . . . you are on the ground, under lots of trees.

We’d thought about FW about 10 years ago but seems like we were told you could drive your cars back to unload but then you had to bring your car back up to a parking area and take a tram type or walk back to your site for the rest of your trip. Now i’m reading the sites have spots for cars. Were we given wrong info?
I’m planning to take my GS’s to Disney next summer. As economical as it would be there’s no way my chap’s will camp out. It’s hotel city for them. So, SoG it will be. Mickeygirlz are you planning the YES program with them?

There is a section at FW for scouts or larger groups to tent camp at. At that section there is a small lot there, but I am not sure if it is for drop off only or parking as well. Didn’t look like too much room to park. This area is out of the way from everything else- not your typical camping loop.

As for the regular sites, one car per site is allowed. Any additional cars must be parked up front near check in. There are internal buses that will take you from there back to your loop.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;988742]We’d thought about FW about 10 years ago but seems like we were told you could drive your cars back to unload but then you had to bring your car back up to a parking area and take a tram type or walk back to your site for the rest of your trip. Now i’m reading the sites have spots for cars. Were we given wrong info?
I’m planning to take my GS’s to Disney next summer. As economical as it would be there’s no way my chap’s will camp out. It’s hotel city for them. So, SoG it will be. Mickeygirlz are you planning the YES program with them?[/QUOTE]

Wow that is a lot of cookies to sell. We’ve priced this out the past couple of years and we sell 1000s of boxes and couldn’t come near what it costs. We were thinking at least at FW you get the Disney vibe. Chip and Dale’s campout, the stables . . . and MAYBE we can afford HDD?? But without having to go to the parks. The beautiful part is that more then 50% of us are FL resident passholders . . . so that helps!

I don’t know what the “YES” program is . . . can you fill me in please?

[QUOTE=johnkimv;988828]There is a section at FW for scouts or larger groups to tent camp at. At that section there is a small lot there, but I am not sure if it is for drop off only or parking as well. Didn’t look like too much room to park. This area is out of the way from everything else- not your typical camping loop.

As for the regular sites, one car per site is allowed. Any additional cars must be parked up front near check in. There are internal buses that will take you from there back to your loop.[/QUOTE]

This is good to know. My troop is well behaved, but 15 girls can get a little loud I’m sure! :laugh::laugh:

Sorry Screever, jacked your post! :wub:

I figured there had to be a median somewhere. That just seemed like too much of a hassle to not be allowed to have at least 1 car, esp while camping. We always leave some stuff in the car to protect from weather/critters etc.

Haven’t been to FW yet but that’s on our “check out the resort-hop first day to-do list” next month so all info will be appreciated by me as well.

MG, sent you a message re: your question so not to continue jacking:laugh:

Also they have tether ball on the beach which is always great while your waiting on the MK boat. Several Bike Trails one going to WL and it is so much easier just riding your bike to the bus stop and boat stop then waiting on an internal bus.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;988891]I figured there had to be a median somewhere. That just seemed like too much of a hassle to not be allowed to have at least 1 car, esp while camping. We always leave some stuff in the car to protect from weather/critters etc.

Haven’t been to FW yet but that’s on our “check out the resort-hop first day to-do list” next month so all info will be appreciated by me as well.

MG, sent you a message re: your question so not to continue jacking:laugh:[/QUOTE]

Got it thanks!!

You’ll like FW there is lots for the kids to do. My DDs love the boat ride over and then to hang on the beach or go to the petting zoo or chip and dales campfire

Oh, and their new pool, slide and splash park area is AWESOME!! We actually spend more time at FW than we do at the parks when we stay there.

You’ve gotten great answers already so I won’t comment on all your questions, but I just wanted to say a few things…

We just camped in June in a trailer with AC and it was pretty miserable on sunny days - I can’t imagine being in a tent! If you go in the spring, I’d suggest earlier spring rather than later.

The bathhouses have always been pristine when I’ve been there. In fact, I opted to use the bathhouses instead of the bathroom in our trailer because they were so big and bright and clean! :laugh:

I do the same thing!! The shower in my RV is tiny! I can go hideout in the FW bathhouses without kids bothering me or DH telling me to hurry up!!

I don’t have an RV so it would probably be a tent…

Wow, popular thread, guys! :laugh: Nice!

Thanks for all the help; after checking my spending/earning for the second month in a row I’ve realized I’m unable to save as much as I’d like and thus cannot go to Disney on my own steam. Not anytime soon anyway. =( It’s still good to hear about the campsite, though! Someday…! :ninja: :heart:

Here is a website for a scout group that went earlier this year. Sounds like they may have been in the “group” area someone mentioned earlier

Cub Scouts Pack 282 Powered By Cubscouts of America - Walt Disney Camping