Fort Wilderness!

Seems like my wife and I have decided for a May 2010 trip to WDW and staying at Fort Wilderness (camping in tent)

any hints, suggestions and such for saving money?, making it comfy? etc etc?

My family and I just came back from a FW stay! I’m working on a trip report for it now: http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/trip-reports/51248-back-nature-fort-wilderness-june-27-30-2009-a.html

I can offer a few suggestions from things we noticed on our trip…
(If you’ve stayed at FW before you probably know all this already.)

• We didn’t have ANY mosquitos, but there were some horse flies/deer flies. Bug spray seemed to keep them away.
  • Bring a flashlight, and carry it with you if you plan to return to your site at nighttime. Some of the pathways are DARK!
  • FW is pretty big. Lots of people rent golf carts to get around, but my family decided we’d prefer to bike. They rent out both golf carts and bikes - golf carts are $50/day, I’m not sure how much for bikes. They also have internal buses that from Pioneer Hall at the front where the park buses pick up to the marina in the back where Trail’s End is. The buses make quite a few stops in between, including to the Meadows pool.
  • We saved quite a bit of money by bringing our own food from home rather than eating at restuarants in FW or the parks for every meal. Returning to our campsite was a nice break in the middle of the day anyway.
  • Watch the water parade from the beach! It goes on every night at I think 9:45? I know it’s 9-something. Bring a towel to sit on and enjoy. :happy: On nights when Wishes is going on at the MK, you can see that over the trees, and they pump in the Wishes music on the FW beach!

Hope you have a GREAT trip!!! :mickey:

[QUOTE=StitchNTime;976412])

making it comfy? etc etc?[/QUOTE]

stay in a hotel :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ps im not a ‘camping’ girl!!

thanks for the advice, our family loves camping and sooo look forward to doing it the Disney-way…

keep those tips coming… :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=tinkfans;976416]stay in a hotel :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ps im not a ‘camping’ girl!![/QUOTE]

:laugh: My thoughts exactly.

PS - Welcome to MB.

This is not a “comfy” tip or a money-saving tip…just an “enjoy” tip. We love to camp as well…and FW is hands down the MOST beautiful camp site we’ve ever stayed in. Schedule time into your days to just explore the campsite…we loved our early morning walks to the bus every day!

If you love to camp you probably already do this but use either cots or blow up beds to sleep on and make some of your foil meals in advance. Saves $ and time. I read where they sell smores/rent sticks to cook on site every night. Bring your own and jump in with the rest. When camping we also bring a portable DVD player/movies for late nights when we’re to tired to go anywhere but not tired enough to sleep. If you have bikes & space permitting bring your own.

I have tent camped a bunch of times. I love it.

some tips:
-bring a screen house for over the picnic table. Keeps the bugs and birds off.
-We biked to the bus stops, so make sure if you have bikes to bring enough locks.
-bring a broom. The site surface is like sand, It gets everywhere.
-an easy meal is a pizza and a pitcher from crocket’s tavern.
-There is electricity, so bring enough cords. We used fans to keep cool.
-It often rains, so zip up the tent when you leave for the day, regardless of the sun.

• NO fires allowed, bring charcoal for the grill.
    -They do have recycle bins
    -Shower at lunchtime or before 4 pm. No one is in the station.
    -Bring a roll of quarters for the laundry and ice machines.
    -Request an outside the loop site, more private.
    -Bring a rope for a clothesline

One major thing that makes life easier at FWR is getting a spot CLOSE to the bathrooms/showers. It makes life a lot easier when you don’t have to walk far at 3:00 in the morning…

My wife and I were raised in a very small country town in the Catskill Mt… For the boys in that town the woods was the place where things were happening. Most of my youth was spent in the outdoors in the mountains. Wilderness camping was my thing. I spent over 40 years as a Scout leader and did plenty of wilderness campouts. I know wilderness.
We have made about 30 stays at Disney’s Ft. Wilderness. It used to be one of the nicest commercial camping ground I ever was to. About three years ago , for some ungodly reason, Disney decided to remove all the undergrowth from the campsites. What this has done is left the loops looking like 1 big motor home sales lot.
Now if you come from a city or suburban area this may seem OK. Every thing is relative. But to us, as experienced outdoor folks, they took away the ‘Wilderness’ part of the Fort.
I’m sure some of you will disagree. It’s still a great place but not for us anymore.
Joe

[QUOTE=subvetss;976651]My wife and I were raised in a very small country town in the Catskill Mt… For the boys in that town the woods was the place where things were happening. Most of my youth was spent in the outdoors in the mountains. Wilderness camping was my thing. I spent over 40 years as a Scout leader and did plenty of wilderness campouts. I know wilderness.
We have made about 30 stays at Disney’s Ft. Wilderness. It used to be one of the nicest commercial camping ground I ever was to. About three years ago , for some ungodly reason, Disney decided to remove all the undergrowth from the campsites. What this has done is left the loops looking like 1 big motor home sales lot.
Now if you come from a city or suburban area this may seem OK. Every thing is relative. But to us, as experienced outdoor folks, they took away the ‘Wilderness’ part of the Fort.
I’m sure some of you will disagree. It’s still a great place but not for us anymore.
Joe[/QUOTE]

Wow that stinks. I wonder why they would do that. I totally understand what you are saying. Even other private campsites that we have gone to were like that and we would ask for a more “primitive” site. So that could be something to ask for? Just a thought.

We are a camping family but have never camped in WDW. And never plan on it! I would really love to hear your experience! Have a great time.

Lisa

[QUOTE=subvetss;976651]About three years ago , for some ungodly reason, Disney decided to remove all the undergrowth from the campsites. What this has done is left the loops looking like 1 big motor home sales lot.
Joe[/QUOTE]

We noticed the same thing on our trip. We thought it might have been just us, since we hadn’t been there in a while. But the sites seemed closer together and much more exposed. We were in one of the preferred sites at the front, but it looked to us like some of the sites in the middle and back loops had more coverage and more space between sites. We’re planning on trying one of those sites next time.

Check this out.
Disney Ft.ness
Joe
Didn’t work. Will try later to put up video.

Think I have it now.
YouTube - Ft Wilderness campsites destroyed
Joe

Oh Boy! Mixing camping and Disney. I dont know what to say?