Freaking Out Over Oct Crowd Levels

So, as the OCD Disney Planner that I am, I have been endlessly planning and reading up in forums for me n hubby’s 1st anniversary trip in late October.

When I first booked, I knew that October was not exactly Value season, but still hoped it’d be okay, especially during the weekdays (I know Epcot’s crazy during the weekend for F&W).

But as I keep reading different people’s posts (in other Disney forums too) about the busy-ness that’s expected in October, I’m really freaking out now. I told DH that it wouldn’t be so bad, since all he’s ever experienced at WDW was Value season (January).

Please tell me it won’t be so bad??? :crying:

IT won’t be so bad.

There, does that make you feel better??

It will be crowded, yes, but, at least it won’t be Africa hot. :slight_smile:

We were hoping for low crowds last October, but unfortunately, it was more crowded than I wanted it to be. It WASN’T crazy crowded, like at Easter or Christmas, but it wasn’t January slow either. I think you’ll be fine if you have a good plan in place, and it sounds like you do.

It won’t be so bad. We have gone in Oct. before and the crowd level is manageable.

Just avoid Epcot on the weekend evenings. We were there in Oct last year and went to Epcot on a Saturday night - it was literally wall to wall people - I have never seen it so crowded. :mellow:

Thanks for all the reassurance. I don’t mind some crowds, but I know DH will start to get cranky. He can’t even handle Costco during the weekend. :pinch:

But in terms of wait times, are we looking at 30-45 minutes, instead of 10-15 minutes, then?

When we were there in January, we would literally walk onto POTC w/no lines at night. There were still some lines for things like RnR, but at most, 15-20 minutes wait.

[QUOTE=lovemysons;877095]IT won’t be so bad.

There, does that make you feel better??

It will be crowded, yes, but, at least it won’t be Africa hot. :)[/QUOTE]

you are so compassionate today. What have you done with the real Ivanker?

We go in October a lot. It is really a wonderful time to go. You may have to get FP’s for some of the more popular rides but we have found it is one of the slower times to go. We have always found that we never ever waited more than 10-15 mins for rides except on some of the more popular rides. I don’t think you should freak out. It will be great.

My god Jenna, you just made my day. My neurotic/panicky-ness was starting to set in… Thank you for your post!

On a side note though, has anyone else found that it was harder to book ADRs and rooms this year? It seems to be real tight this year (adding to my panick attack).

[QUOTE=emperisse;877110]My god Jenna, you just made my day. My neurotic/panicky-ness was starting to set in… Thank you for your post!

On a side note though, has anyone else found that it was harder to book ADRs and rooms this year? It seems to be real tight this year (adding to my panick attack).[/QUOTE]

I’m glad I made your day. Trust me you will be fine. If you see a really long line for something just find something else. It will all work out.

If you are having problems with ADR’s just keep trying. Also if you don’t get the ADR that you are looking for…try showing up at an odd time. We usually end up eating wherever we want. Good luck with everything! Pixie Dust and Prayers!:mickey:

Epcot gets crowded in the evenings. Really really really crowded. Other than that, the crowd level is fine. Fastpasses for big rides, walk ons in the mornings. Totally doable crowds.

We go in October every year. Ditto to what everyone is saying above. The crowds are managable.

Mornings are the best for walk ons, other than that, the waits are not too bad.

I can’t stress it enough…get there early and you will walk on almost everything. One time we finished Fantasy land and tomorrow land before 11:00 a.m. (doing almost every ride).

I hate to get up early on vacation…but it makes it worth it!!

We have 2 hard ticketed F&W events in Epcot, 1 on Friday evening and 1 on Saturday evening. I’ve planned to stay away from Epcot on both days until the time of the event, and to leave right after the event. We’ll be visiting Epcot during the day on Tuesday and Wednesday, so hopefully, we’ll be successfully avoiding the crowds.

Another question – I’ve read conflicting advice about visiting parks on the day of their EMH. During a lighter season, is it still better to do parks on the day of their EMH?

Thanks everyone for their knowledge n wisdom!!

We’ve been in October and the only park that we found necessary to do AM EMH is MK. We did MK PM EMH on that same trip and it was good too. As already metioned just get there at rope drop and you will be fine.

Just to add to everyone else, we have been in Oct and love it.
I made a big mistake going a couple weeks ago, it felt like a mad house to our family! We have been used to lower crowd levels in Oct and we just couldn’t handle the amount of people in Aug, and the family got completely cranky, so I understand your concern. Last Oct was rainy during our visit, but nothing like tropical storm Fay we just went through! :laugh:

emperisse –

First, October is not going to be bad, crowd-wise.

Second, EMH is absolutely hit or miss. You may have park practically empty, or you may have everyone at the park and in the same line you are in.

The best thing for you to do is to go to WDW expecting normal crowds, and if yo uget lucky with a light crowd, ride everything twice. And if you get hit with a big crowd, then use FPs, stay late and be patient.

I wouldn’t worry about October at all!

I can’t really figure out the crowd levels for EMH’s. I’ve had really good luck with the AM EMH at all of the parks. Great PM EMH for MK, but awful PM EMH for Epcot - but I think that is because of the F&W festival. I don’t notice the parks being more crowded during the day of EMH for that park, but I’ve heard others mention it.

October has always been lucky for us (weather and crowd levels). I hope you have the same experience!!!

When we were there, in October…The crowds were not bad at all and we also went to MNSSHP and that was not bad either…I find that if there is a crowd in one place, that there is usually a uncrowded place elsewhere…

If it is crowded, we found that if we go to the park that had evening EMH the night before, the crowds are much lighter. That’s because everyone went last night, stayed up late and are either sleeping in or going to another park.

When I was a CM I had friends and family always visit me in Oct. I always said that once we left WDW we would visit in Oct because of the weather, low crowds and Halloween decorations are up!

This is our first trip back and it will be in Oct. If things have changed in the last couple of years we will just have to manage - but I am being positive about it all :slight_smile:

Oh, and I worked at a TS restaurant for a time - so I am not freaking out too badly about not finding ADR openings. Just go when the restaurant opens and you will walk right in.