Free Entry On Your Birthday The Worst Prize Ever?

So, as many of you know I’m sure the new Disney ‘prize’ or theme for this year is free entry to one of their parks on your birthday… Who else thinks this is a stupid idea, or just not comparable to the YEAR OF A MILLION DREAMS? I think they should have gone a step further. I understand that with the economy that they can’t really spare the extra for something MORE extravagate then the YOMD’s, but thats a pretty useless gift. Unless you live near one of the Disney Parks. But for people like me, I live in Philadelphia, and I’m not going to go down to FL for just one day. And our vacation is always taken at the same time each year.

I was just a little disappointed. But for some people I’m sure it’s a GREAT treat! Lucky ducks! :laugh:

Any thoughts?

I guess it’s betting than nothing. Hopefully a lot of people will be able to take advantage of this and get a little extra on their birthday.

I think it’s silly promotion as well ,but don’t really need a promo to go to WDW. It’s hard to top the two years of a million dreams, but I am also the one who things random dreams should be an every day of the year thing for them.

I totally agree. We are from Delaware and also go the same
time every year (we go in October) and, unfortunately none of
us have a bday in Oct!
Like you said, who is going to fly down (in our case drive)
just to get one free bday pass!
Seems like they have really cut back. I know the economy is
bad and all (although you would NOT know it when we were there
in October!!) but it just doesnt seem as great as YOMD.
If you happen to live close by, it would be a great bday gift
though!

I don’t know… I’m torn. I think it’s a good idea, and I’m sure they intended it to entice more people down to Disney for celebrating if one of their party could get in free. But yeah, it kind of stinks if you can’t make the trip down in the first place.

I do like their alternative options for passholders though - the fastpass, “birthday fun card”, or 1-day ticket for later use. They could have easily said “oh well, you already get in on your birthday, stinks for you…”

I think it’s kind of a cutsie idea but I do like the alternatives like a free gift, fastpass card and stuff like that.

Yes, I thought the alternatives they offered were actually kind of neat!:smile:

I am thinking that the parks will be stuffed with locals who gain free entry to the parks for one day :blink:

AH,but Disney has figured that out as well. You need to register your birthday, you receive a certificate that has a number on it, and you must present that certificate along with proper documentation that it is indeed your birthday. :wink:

i think its cool fdor people that will get to use it. i also like the new promos going on but since im a dvc owner i cant use any of them. I dont even know if i want to go to wdw in 09. the kids want to try something else. who knows

Fantastic for people who can get there for their birthday but I like in the UK so it’s not exactly local for me! I don’t think I could justify a few thousad £££ and a 9hour flight to get one free day at Disney :frowning:

I think that its a ploy to encourage locals to go more often rather than all of us who travel without the promotion. Sales on resorts does little for those that live a short drive and I think they are trying to plug into the local market. Personally I think it stinks! We have annual passes still on my birthday when we would have gone- UGH!

It’s a nice idea but unfortunately my family has the three WORST birthdays to want to be in a Disney park; mine is in July, my husband’s is Christmas week, and my Dad’s birthday is during Spring Break. :pinch: Those are 3 times that I voluntarily DO NOT want to be on a Disney vacation.

Well, then you get the $75 gift card OR the Fastpass for the day for you and your party!!

I don’t think it’s a bad idea . . . and I’m SURE Disney has some surprises up it’s sleeve for people wearing the celebration buttons. I can’t imagine them stopping the random prize giving?

Really what do the have to lose . . . Fastpass for the day COST THEM nothing! Even the castle suite (You ALREADY paid for the night in your resort, they are just moving you to an upgraded room!) RIGHT?

The MORE I read about this new promotion . . . I think there are going to be some fun things happening . . . when you least EXPECT it in the most FANTASTIC DISNEY WAY!! :mickey:

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;905813]Well, then you get the $75 gift card OR the Fastpass for the day for you and your party!!

I don’t think it’s a bad idea . . . and I’m SURE Disney has some surprises up it’s sleeve for people wearing the celebration buttons. I can’t imagine them stopping the random prize giving?

Really what do the have to lose . . . Fastpass for the day COST THEM nothing! Even the castle suite (You ALREADY paid for the night in your resort, they are just moving you to an upgraded room!) RIGHT?

The MORE I read about this new promotion . . . I think there are going to be some fun things happening . . . when you least EXPECT it in the most FANTASTIC DISNEY WAY!! :mickey:[/QUOTE]

I think I would take the gift card… I can get a fast pass when I need one - :mickey:
Not that it matters. It is not looking likely that we will be going in Feb next year anyhow:sad:

[QUOTE=woohoo;905828]I think I would take the gift card… I can get a fast pass when I need one - :mickey:
Not that it matters. It is not looking likely that we will be going in Feb next year anyhow:sad:[/QUOTE]

Yep I agree . . . 'specially since I can use the $75 towards my pass renewal!

I believe this will benefit the locals more than anyone else. It is hard planning a trip around just one day.

We had already planned our next trip to take advantage of the lower point season for DVC, and it happens to be over DH’s bday. He’s excited to get the button and be in his favorite place on his bday. The $75 won’t hurt, either. I don’t have to buy him a present now! :laugh: He can pick out his own.

It’s SOMETHING free from Disney. That’s almost a miracle. :laugh:

I think it’s good they gear a promo toward the locals. With less people traveling this year, WDW will have to rely on people in the area to make their money more than ever. It’s clever on their part. As stated in my other post, I would go regardless. the promos are an extra thing…the dreams were random things that many people didn’t have happen to them in the entire two years they ran it. At least the Bday thing is guaranteed.