Free Water

Is it true that if you go to any counter service in any of the parks you can get a free cup of ice water?

If so, how did I not know this!!!

Lisa

Yes, very true. I never pay for water. Usually ask for a cup of water when I order counter service, but when its especially hot, I don’t wait to eat. Just walk up and ask for one. Also, if you aren’t comfortable doing that, the water fountains with the large white square bases are the ones with the coldest water.

GOOD GRIEF!!! This little bit of information would have saved us a ton of money!! I bet we spent $40 in water while we were there. Maybe even more! It didn’t even occur to me to ask:sad::dry::noo::angry:

Good Grief is right!!! This is really good to know!

I vote this the tip of the week!:biggrin:

Yep, free water anytime, anywhere. Make sure to ask for a large water or they will only give you a kid-sized cup. I’ve even gotten free ice water from some of the snack carts. Even if you go to the places that have a soda fountains now like Electric Umbrella or Sunshine Seasons, they will still give you a small cup. You are on the honor system of course, and some will abuse it, but there is usually a water button somewhere on the fountain.

[QUOTE=lisalovesmickey;1049737]Is it true that if you go to any counter service in any of the parks you can get a free cup of ice water?

If so, how did I not know this!!!

Lisa[/QUOTE]

It’s only when the temps are really high and HOT!! I may be wrong, but I’ve been told no in the cooler months - could have been a CM that didn’t know??

I buy these thermos containers for my girls: ShopThermos.com - Search Results they are $14.99 but worth every penny!! Even on 100+ days, the keep ice all day. (cups of ice you can always get for FREE) I put the ice in at the resort in the am, and then they refill at the water fountains (sometimes they add the little flavor packs) I would HIGHLY recommend - these are awesome for school too!

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;1049780]It’s only when the temps are really high and HOT!! I may be wrong, but I’ve been told no in the cooler months - could have been a CM that didn’t know??
[/QUOTE]

I have never been told no, we go all different times of the year. Could have been the CM, could have been any number of things.

True - I’ve never asked in a dining hall, always at a snack cart. That could be part of the problem? I’ve never been refused a cup of ice though.

I was never told no. One time I was told they didn’t have water but had ice and she gave me a cup of ice, which was fine by me cause I love chewing ice.

I always carried those powdered drinks for bottled water and if I wanted a lemonade or ice tea instead of water added one of them.

sometimes I truly wanted a good drink of water and then I would purchase the bottles, but like you said, that can get so expensive.

We go during Christmas and have asked for water. Sometimes, we get ice in a cup, sometimes we get water, sometimes we get ice & water in a cup!

So, even during the busiest times, there’s H2O!

We also use the Gatorade or Kool-Aid packs. They are great to take the ‘taste’ out of the fountain water I use for refills. I leave the unit w/ a 16oz Mt Dew every AM. I just fill it up as needed.

As to ice, every time we have asked for a cup of ice the CM’s have always provided. I just dump it in the empty bottle and mix everything up.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;1049780]It’s only when the temps are really high and HOT!! I may be wrong, but I’ve been told no in the cooler months - could have been a CM that didn’t know??

I buy these thermos containers for my girls: ShopThermos.com - Search Results they are $14.99 but worth every penny!! Even on 100+ days, the keep ice all day. (cups of ice you can always get for FREE) I put the ice in at the resort in the am, and then they refill at the water fountains (sometimes they add the little flavor packs) I would HIGHLY recommend - these are awesome for school too![/QUOTE]

threadcheck but thanks for that web site… i have been looking for food jars.

We have these great little refillable themos bottles that come with a handy over the body strap, it tends to keep the am fill up cool till around lunch time - if the drink lasts that long, then we will just refill at water fountains (though Ive found some taste better than others, anyone else noticed this?) or buy one or two bottled drinks and spilt them between us into the bottles. Ive never thought to ask for ice or water at the stands but always grab a few pieces from the buckets to cool down with! There are a few freebies at wdw!

I never knew this either- wow when I think of all the money we’ve spent on bottled water, or used snack options to get a drink too. Sometimes just a mouthful is needed, so that would be perfect for us- I’m going to ask next trip, they can only say no at worst!

They have always had this policy in effect. Of course, there are always drinking fountains around too. The problem for me personally, is I hate the taste of FL water. I would take a cup and walk around with it except the local water is only tolerable when it’s ice cold. So I still need bottled water to carry with me.

Our family was there mid-August. We split up at lunch and DS9 and I tried Starring Rolls at HS for the first time. I used one of my counter service meals and in addition asked for a cup of ice water.

The man at the counter said, “You know, water isn’t free?”

I said, “Really?”

He said, “No, you have to answer three questions if you want water.”

So I told my son, “The water is for you, you need to answer the questions.”

The first question was “Who is your favorite Disney character?”

My son said, “Woody.”

“What is your favorite Disney movie that does not have Woody in it?”

My son had to think hard on this one and finally asked if Star Wars is considered a Disney movie. The man hesitated (I guess because we were in HS he gave in!) and said, “Okay, who is your favorite Disney villain that is not in a movie with Woody or Star Wars?”

About this time another worker came over and she asked the man what he was doing. He said, “These people wanted a cup of water and I told them it wasn’t free and they had to answer some questions to get water.” She mockingly scolded him and then turned to my son and told him to hold on a minute. She then went and got him a Mickey shaped cookie with chocolate ears for a prize for answering the questions.

Oh and we did get the water for free.

And now I can’t remember my son’s answer to the third question! That will drive me crazy! I’ll have to ask him in the morning.

On a side note, I was happy to find a place to return to for a decent lunch at Hollywood Studios!! I had the ham sandwhich, chips, a soda, and a strawberry parfait from their bakery case. My son and I split it with his “free” water and prize cookie and we were stuffed.

[QUOTE=Janice419;1050379]Our family was there mid-August. We split up at lunch and DS9 and I tried Starring Rolls at HS for the first time. I used one of my counter service meals and in addition asked for a cup of ice water.

The man at the counter said, “You know, water isn’t free?”

I said, “Really?”

He said, “No, you have to answer three questions if you want water.”

So I told my son, “The water is for you, you need to answer the questions.”

The first question was “Who is your favorite Disney character?”

My son said, “Woody.”

“What is your favorite Disney movie that does not have Woody in it?”

My son had to think hard on this one and finally asked if Star Wars is considered a Disney movie. The man hesitated (I guess because we were in HS he gave in!) and said, “Okay, who is your favorite Disney villain that is not in a movie with Woody or Star Wars?”

About this time another worker came over and she asked the man what he was doing. He said, “These people wanted a cup of water and I told them it wasn’t free and they had to answer some questions to get water.” She mockingly scolded him and then turned to my son and told him to hold on a minute. She then went and got him a Mickey shaped cookie with chocolate ears for a prize for answering the questions.

Oh and we did get the water for free.

And now I can’t remember my son’s answer to the third question! That will drive me crazy! I’ll have to ask him in the morning.

On a side note, I was happy to find a place to return to for a decent lunch at Hollywood Studios!! I had the ham sandwhich, chips, a soda, and a strawberry parfait from their bakery case. My son and I split it with his “free” water and prize cookie and we were stuffed.[/QUOTE]

That’s pretty awesome!! <3