Free WiFi in MK

Disney announced this morning Free WiFi in the MK.

Disney now provides free Wi-Fi to Magic Kingdom guests - OrlandoSentinel.com

[QUOTE=tigger;1118382]Disney announced this morning Free WiFi in the MK.

Disney now provides free Wi-Fi to Magic Kingdom guests - OrlandoSentinel.com[/QUOTE]

Oh—I thought there already was free wifi in all the parks now! I could have sworn I read that somewhere 6 months ago but perhaps it was just one of the parks. Good to know. Thank you.

What I noticed was loads of wi-fi networks all over Epcot and for the restaurants and I guess shops in all the parks.
However, each of these were all “private” networks in that they were all secured from public access.

I also have been noticing some funny stuff with my Atrix 2 in locations that I’ve accessed hot spots. Sometimes when it’s in wi-fi mode, apps will lock or need to be force closed. If I turn off wi-fi, often that will clear the problem.
That creates a new problem, increased G4 data usage.

This was rolled out Wed. at the MK. You have to agree to their terms of service and than gain access to the free Disney WiFi.

They plan on rolling this out in the rest of the parks.

I can see a number of reasons for doing this…primarily it will lower load on the cell network. I know the last time I was there my mobile data was crawling because of the load on the cell data network.

[QUOTE=tigger;1118389]This was rolled out Wed. at the MK. You have to agree to their terms of service and than gain access to the free Disney WiFi.
[/QUOTE]

Not that this is any different than the in room wired internet or the resort wi-fi.
You are also firewalled from sites Disney deems inappropriate.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1118390]Not that this is any different than the in room wired internet or the resort wi-fi.
You are also firewalled from sites Disney deems inappropriate.[/QUOTE]

When I am in the park I usually just want mainly weather, email, and if I feel frisky Facebook and MB :mickey:

What I used my phone for was mainly my wait time apps and weather/radar.
Back at the room, I really didn’t do more with my laptop other than check mail, look at menus at All Ears, nothing else really.
We had so many movies that I didn’t have to resort to HBO Go and MaxGo or Crackle. I also brought a Blu Ray player from home because the stupid thing costs about the same as a replacement for our portable DVD player.
Boy was I happy I had access to all of the TV’s inputs!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1118400]What I used my phone for was mainly my wait time apps and weather/radar.
Back at the room, I really didn’t do more with my laptop other than check mail, look at menus at All Ears, nothing else really.
We had so many movies that I didn’t have to resort to HBO Go and MaxGo or Crackle. I also brought a Blu Ray player from home because the stupid thing costs about the same as a replacement for our portable DVD player.
Boy was I happy I had access to all of the TV’s inputs![/QUOTE]

If you have enough energy to watch movies when you get back to the room you are doing Disney wrong :tongue:

For our last trip, I would have really liked to use my phone for the wait time apps but since we were on an international plan without data, that wasn’t happenning. I think is a really great idea and hope it is soon to be included in all the parks.

I remember noticing a lot of networks in all of the parks back in Nov '11 but they where all locked and private. It’d be handy having free WiFi in the parks purely for me to be able to get in touch with friends back home without it costing me a fortune! Having a Skype with the Castle in the background would amuse me to no end hehe

Oh my for us as international guests this would make such a difference for keeping in touch with those back home. Disney has kind of dragged its feet on the whole wi fi and internet access thing, so its about time it moved with the times so to speak:smile:

I agree totally. When I was looking into what calling plan I would sign up for while I was in Florida, The store clerk was very surprised to find out that free wifi was not available when I would be in the parks. It just seems that so many places have free wifi that you would expect it from disney. In any case, this is definitely good news.

Not quite the case.
DW has to sleep with the TV on and commercial interruptions wake her up.
Plus, there’s pretty much animal flop on the channels that Disney deems to give us. This means during afternoon nap time as well, in regards to the vast wasteland. It’s almost entirely horse flop and cow flop.
Enter BYOE:laugh:

How about connecting with people back home on Skype while in one of the English phone booths in Epcot:mickey:

Going to be nice, facetiming with the iPad without data charge.

I don’t think DH would let me bring an ipad into the parks. Right now what I bring is already subject to scrutiny. If it doesn’t fit easily into his fanny pack, it doesn’t come. Oh well.

I am just excited that the resorts have free wifi…I have an iPad and can’t connect by Ethernet in the room! It’s a pain to have to go sit in the lobby…it will be nice to have the wifi in the parks too…because of the mobile magic app!!!

This is the most awesome thing I have heard lately!!!
You see, I own an old fashioned flip phone. LOL!
But, DD has an Ipod touch and I have a kindle fire. :slight_smile: We are not used to being able to connect!
Love the skype idea- but with Haunted Mansion in the background. Oh my gosh I am excited!
Now I can message MB too :slight_smile: off to make my list of fun things to do with wi-fi in the parks.