Frozen at Hollywood Studios

Has anyone gone to all the Frozen stuff at HS? Some of it looks pretty cool. Of course, I am not waiting in line for hours for any of it! People are nuts over this stuff!! :whistling

People are nuts over it. We have done some of it in the last week but not all of it. We skipped the parade and sing along but we did watch the fireworks (they were good) and we went through the Wandering Oaken’s trading post and frozen funland. The ice ring wasn’t huge but big enough that people could actually skate and the snow area was cute. The snow area wasn’t big and the line could be a little slow but people were allowed in and given a certain amount of time then cleared out for the next group. We were in line to go in the building right at 9 (on an early entry day)so we really didn’t have a wait to get in, we were in the first group in so we were in and out quickly. The three photo ops were really cute. If you have a certain app you can take pictures on your smart phone and see Frozen characters in your pictures.

The down side to all of it is larger crowds to see all the Frozen activities and some of the attractions (including Toy Story) close at 8:30 PM because of the fireworks.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1919093351]People are nuts over it. We have done some of it in the last week but not all of it. We skipped the parade and sing along but we did watch the fireworks (they were good) and we went through the Wandering Oaken’s trading post and frozen funland. The ice ring wasn’t huge but big enough that people could actually skate and the snow area was cute. The snow area wasn’t big and the line could be a little slow but people were allowed in and given a certain amount of time then cleared out for the next group. We were in line to go in the building right at 9 (on an early entry day)so we really didn’t have a wait to get in, we were in the first group in so we were in and out quickly. The three photo ops were really cute. If you have a certain app you can take pictures on your smart phone and see Frozen characters in your pictures.

The down side to all of it is larger crowds to see all the Frozen activities and some of the attractions (including Toy Story) close at 8:30 PM because of the fireworks.[/QUOTE]

This is good to know! Thanks…we are headed there in two weeks.

Did you get the special passes you can get first thing in the morning as you enter? My daughter read about it…and also that you can trade your MB in for a special Frozen MB…

We didn’t do anything special to do the skating/snow play area in the trading post except get in line a few minutes before 9. I think the tickets were for the sing along. They set up a huge area to hand out the tickets but we never saw more than a few people at a time getting tickets. They set up a big rope queue but it wasn’t needed any time we walked by.

I don’t think you trade your MagicBand in for a Frozen MB but you can buy Frozen MB in the gift shops. I can’t remember the price but it was either $19 or $29 or both depending on which one you wanted. I didn’t look at them but my husband thinks they do something special the regular bands don’t do. You can have more than one active MB and use them interchangeably. We ended up with 5 or 6 different bands and used all of them on the same or different days. We only noticed a couple of places that it made a difference and it was minor (saved cars on Test Track and getting new cards at the Sorcerer game at MK).

Oh good…I’ll tell my daughter we don’t need to rush to get there first!! Lol. Thanks.

Have her ask questions and check with CMs because I may be wrong or things could change. I noticed several things changing from day to day on our trip (we’re actually on the Magical Express headed to the airport right now) including Soarin testing handing out standby times instead of a standby line one day.

Oh…that’s interesting…re handing out standby times…hmmmm…thanks for the heads up…sorry your trip is over. We’ll look for your trip report soon.

Awwwwww ----, just what I need, a new limited time fireworks show just when I had to buy a new AC for the house. I guess I’m going to have to miss this one. Beside, Orlando in August is as brutal as South Florida in August, too hot, too rainy, and way too humid!

This sounds like a fast pass for people who can’t get a fast pass.

It was. Then the standby tickets ran out and people got ticked when they were told the standby line was closed. I wasn’t there but I guess there were enough unhappy guests that Disney opened the standby line to everyone so they had all the return standby cards but also walk up standby guests. So at least for now this test appears to be a fail.

The day before the test the increased the number of CMs working in the Land and made traffic one way on each side. There was a rope just inside the doors and CMs directing people to go the correct direction. They also reopened the old fastpass distribution area as the place where the standby cards were handed out.

Honestly, I’m thinking Disney has reached my limit as to how scheduled I want my park time to be. I felt like we had very little flexibility this year and now the testing of no standby at certain attractions really scares me. If I don’t mind a 60+ minute wait I feel like I should be able to get in line and wait it out. We now have to pick one Fastpass between Test Track and Soarin and now we might not even be able to get in standby for the other attraction. We go often enough that one missed ride won’t ruin our vacation but what about the once in a lifetime family who paid $100 each to get in the park and are then told they can’t wait in line because all the cards are handed out for that day?

Sorry about the new AC, that’s painful but necessary. The Frozen fireworks were good. We watched them once in the park but several times from our room. We had a perfect view every night right from our bed.

Which view did you have? And which floor? I didn’t know you could see DHS fireworks from BCV.

I have been reading elsewhere that they do feel the “no standby” is a success, and are going to expand it…it’s still going on now… I am not a fan… If I want to wait in line, I should be able to wait…especially since you can’t get Fps for everything at the same time.

I hope this isn’t a ploy to get us to stay longer…

We were in room 549 of the villas. Our room was on the hallway sticking off the U shape of the villas building. It was a nice location, there was very little traffic so the hallway was quiet and the view was good. We could see Tower of Terror off in the distance during the day and fireworks at night. My only request before we arrived was an upper floor after that we rolled the dice. When we checked in the CM gave us a choice of two rooms, one on the 5th floor near the end of the main hallway or the room we were in. We picked our room because it was closer to the main elevators so a shorter walk. I’m not sure how much closer it really was but it looked better on paper.

[QUOTE=smallworld;1919093380]I have been reading elsewhere that they do feel the “no standby” is a success, and are going to expand it…it’s still going on now… I am not a fan… If I want to wait in line, I should be able to wait…especially since you can’t get Fps for everything at the same time.

I hope this isn’t a ploy to get us to stay longer…[/QUOTE]

All of this is pushing our planning limit. Fastpass+ is bad enough but now taking away the option of walking up and getting in line is probably too much for us. All of these changes are sucking the fun out of our trip and it sounds like it’s only going to get worse. Yuck. We’re big fans, we’ve logged 15 trips in 11 years and own DVC but I can see fewer trips in our future. Maybe we’ll use our DVC for non-park trips or some other location, we’ll have to wait and see how it all plays out.

I am not a big fan of many of the recent changes. However, I keep reminding myself that change is good very often even if painful. If you do not try something outside of the box, your world gets really small, really fast. I have actually already gotten used to some of the Fastpass+ craziness. :slight_smile:

I know. Change can be good but I just wish my vacation didn’t have to be so scheduled. We like to change things around while we’re there and just didn’t feel like we could do that this time. I was worried that we couldn’t get good times for fastpasses in other parks if we gave up the ones we had so I guess part of it might be my fault for not risking changing our fastpasses when we really wanted to.

I absolutely hear you… Given the choice, I would be using the old system myself!

I agree. This trip coming up will be so different for us…

Getting back to the fireworks thing, I’ve noticed screen shots from You Tube videos.
This looks like it’s a similar presentation to the Star Wars fireworks. That is, they make heavy use of the video screen in back of the stage while they have a 8-10 minute live action whatever and then about 6 minutes of fireworks choreographed to the movie’s soundtrack.
DHS is not the best venue for fireworks, certainly not when compared to the MK and not when compared to Epcot. The views are confined, as is the viewing area itself. There are far too many trees that block views.

But it’s fireworks and it is a better close for a day in the park than simply saying “We’re closed”.