Ft. Wilderness Cabins?

We were thinking POR for our September trip but are considering the “alternative offers” that come up on the Disney website. Anyone have insight on Ft. Wilderness cabins? It seems to me that the real bonus to these cabins is the full kitchen & the porch with grill but we’re going for free dining & for this mommy it’s not vacation if I’m still cooking! The other alternate offer is the Contemporary-ahhhh, to stay on the monorail just once would be heavenly but I don’t think I can convince DH that the convenience is worth the extra dough!! Suggestions?

To be honest, the cabins only make sense if you have a family of 5 or more. Since you are going for FREE DDP, the full kitchen is kinda worthless to you. I would save that option for another trip that you didn’t get free DDP for. If you do indeed have a family of 5, I would rather put them in the cabins then cram them in that little POR room. Just my opinion. I would go for two value rooms for the space.

Well, I just finished booking a cabin not 5 minutes ago, and for my family of 5 it was the cheapest option (Why does WDW discriminate against families with more than 2 kids?:mad:).

But we have camped at FW twice before. We LOVE it. You can watch the late night boat parade at the beach. See the fireworks at MK. Every night there is the cowboy sing and outdoor movie, with Chip 'n Dale there to greet you.

So what if there’s a kitchen you won’t use? At least you have a 'fridge to keep your drinks cold. You don’t get that in a standard room!

As long as your family understands that you are not cooking nor will you do dishes on your vacation, having a kitchen is a nice thing. someplace else to sit besides the beds. More space to breathe and perfect to have a cup of tea at night, maybe even a quick bowl of cereal in the morning for the little ones.

[QUOTE=Cavey;1104340]Well, I just finished booking a cabin not 5 minutes ago, and for my family of 5 it was the cheapest option (Why does WDW discriminate against families with more than 2 kids?:mad:).

But we have camped at FW twice before. We LOVE it. You can watch the late night boat parade at the beach. See the fireworks at MK. Every night there is the cowboy sing and outdoor movie, with Chip 'n Dale there to greet you.

So what if there’s a kitchen you won’t use? At least you have a 'fridge to keep your drinks cold. You don’t get that in a standard room![/QUOTE]

I love hearing that, Cavey.

Everywhere discriminates against families with more than 2 kids. WDW is actually probably more friendly to families of five or more than other destinations.

As Jon Gosselin once said, “The world was built for families of four.” (He wanted to stop after Mady and Cara).

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1104364]Everywhere discriminates against families with more than 2 kids. WDW is actually probably more friendly to families of five or more than other destinations.

As Jon Gosselin once said, “The world was built for families of four.” (He wanted to stop after Mady and Cara).[/QUOTE]

Yes they do! That’s exactly why I stopped at 2. I actually stopped at 2 because they drive me CRAZY!

Fort Wilderness is the greatest resort Disney offers in my opinion… I love that it is so close and there is so much to do there. Love the relaxed atmosphere and the sounds!

Sigh… The Gosselin’s… Haven’t heard about them, I mean Kate, in a long time!

[QUOTE=Cavey;1104340]Well, I just finished booking a cabin not 5 minutes ago, and for my family of 5 it was the cheapest option (Why does WDW discriminate against families with more than 2 kids?:mad:).

So what if there’s a kitchen you won’t use? At least you have a 'fridge to keep your drinks cold. You don’t get that in a standard room![/QUOTE]

See this? :happy: I’m smiling from ear to ear. And I agree - even if you don’t use it for much - a kitchen is still a very nice perk - and there is something very nice about the atmosphere of FW.

I think Disney is finally trying to accomodate bigger families - but along with those accomodations go bigger prices, unfortunately.

I have stayed at the cabins three times I believe.
Here are the advantages:
More room to move about
two televisions
dishwasher if you do dirty any dishes
Nice to have a refrigerator for leftover and for drinks
the campground is really beautiful
a movie shown near the pool

Disadvantages:
Transportation is slower because you have to ride an internal bus to either the boat dock or the outpost to catch a bus to the parks. We really have’t minded this too much as long as you are prepared for it and understand it will take a few extra minutes.
The bunkbeds are only really suitable for children

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1104364]
As Jon Gosselin once said, “The world was built for families of four.” (He wanted to stop after Mady and Cara).[/QUOTE]

Poor Kate.:laugh: Her 15 minutes of fame are so over!

Thanks for all the feedback guys! POR is usually the cheapest option for our family of 5 with the DDP…just not sure we can get it this time… is it ever worth the extra money to go up to Deluxe? I don’t think I can convince my DH that the added convenience is worth the added money…

We had a 2 bedroom with a full kitchen, I did not cook, nor do dishes. We have a picture of my husband eating cereal out of a large serving bowl with a serving spoon and my niece eating oatmeal with a fork! LOL
Someone else finally ran the dishwasher when we ran out of every dish & utensil!

Are you sure? Of course, I was looking for the free dining plan, but FW Cabins were significantly cheaper than the other options presented to us.

The cabins are considered a moderate/suite option for larger families. There are no deluxe resorts at that rate. Gone are the days that you could grab a cheap standard room at AKL and WL hense why I don’t stay at either any more. It’s a shame they excluded the family suites. They would have been perfect for you. Slight cheaper than the cabins, and tons of space.

Idk, WLR and AKL still run pretty cheap (well, in comparison to other deluxes)… not too much more than the moderates. The problem is, the less-expensive rooms there are for families of four.

I havn’t stayed at FW but when I stayed at SSR we had a 2 bedroom villa with kitchen. We had the free dining so didn’t think we would make much use of the kitchen but I was surprised at how handy it was! The larger fridge was great for all our drinks and snacks, and being able to make a few hot drinks in the room later on a night was ideal for my parents who didn’t fancy wandering over to the main house.

Little things like the cutlery came in handy when we took meals back to the room and the dishwasher was great for our resort mugs (they never wash properly just under the food court tap!)

I have stayed in many different resorts ad Disney over the years and I think if you can swing it once, it is awesome to stay in a Deluxe on the monorail line. It is extra money but sometimes the convenience of having the transportation right there and I am trying to learn that you only live once and you never see a uhaul pulling cash behind a hearse. I say if you can do it once, you should. Comtemporary is amazing, but then which monorail deluxe isn’t?

We stayed two years ago and are staying in there again this year. We LOVE it there. Privacy, relaxing, riding the golf carts around, the campfire, the beach, fun at Halloween and Christmas, pools aren’t that great, but we don’t use them that much. It’s a much different experience. It was just DH, DS and I last time. I don’t cook on vacation, and we got free dining this time, but we do eat breakfast in the room, cereal, coffee, bagels, etc. Not that we need a kitchen for that, this time there are four of us. Even though it fits up to 6 (not 6 adults!) I think it is perfect for 4 people. It’s like having your own little home in Disney. I cannot say enough how much I love it there. If it was just DH and I, I would say no, but 3-4 people perfect! Cannot understand why so many people are put off by it.

Not sure if you have been since they redid the pool area, but it is great now!! Great slide, hot tub and splash slide area for little kids.

Yes we were there, and it is nice, but I think some of the other resorts have better,
The pool is not a determining factor in where I stay, and would definetely not stop me from staying at FW!!!