Ft. Wilderness destroyed

Maybe it because we have camped there about 25 times, and remember how nice the sites used to be compared to what they have recently become, that my family and I have become disenchanted with the changes made. If you don’t remember a tram being the transportation around Ft. Wilderness or when the bus’s were named Chip and Dale and Boone and Crockett then you might not know what I refer to. I hope I can post 2 picture to illustrate. One was about 5 or 6 years ago when there was underbrush and the other pix was taken this last week. After the rain it looked like the Delta in Viet Nam after an Agent Orange dusting.
Joe

That’s a scary site. It’s amazing what damage mother nature can do in excess. We were there a week or so after the hurricane had hit a few years ago, and it looked like that except some of the trees were lying on the ground.

A big point here is to remind that Huricane Charley’s center roared directly over WDW in 2004 and it was also hit by both Jeanne and Frances as well that year.
There is still plenty of damage visible all over WDW’s wooded and forest areas, if you just know where to look.

oh, dear! campsite aside, the rain looks horrible! Were you the ones in the tent ( I hope not!) EWWWW! Yuck!

I grew up staying in an RV spot at Fort Wilderness about 2-3 times a year for 15 years so I know Fort Wilderness VERY well; of course I remember the Crocket, the Boone, Chip, & Dale. hehe.

That first photo is SOOO unfortunate but perhaps it looks so disgusting because they received like over 60" of rain in a week? I think it’s hugely due to Mother Nature and not necessarily the neglect of Disney.

What changes do you mean?

I haven’t stayed in Fort Wilderness for over 10 years now :sad: but we often visit to do Hoop Dee Doo, Trail’s End, and I still love to go visit the Meadow Trading Post. We took the bus around some of my old favorite loops & I thought they looked great! :huh: I didn’t notice any huge difference since we had stayed there last.

oh so much rain, reminds me of my youthful days at Scout camp when it alway rained while I was there…nothing like mud and tents to go together…

Sorry, but that’s the exact reason I NEVER go camping, anywhere at all. Even at Disney. I like a roof, four walls, television with cable, running water and good plumbing!!! I guess I’m a big baby.

It’s not the weather that is the problem. Disney removed ALL the underbrush in most areas of the campground. That means no more little bunnies, no more cute racoons, no more ducks waddeling, no more Peacocks around. There is NO more ground cover. If they leave it alone it will eventually grow back but I doubt they will. Oh Well!! There is still Pop Century and we still love Disney.
Joe

You’re not a big baby, that’s why many people don’t tent camp if they can help it. In my RV I have everything you speak of and then some. We are never uncomfortable or do without any comfort.

[QUOTE=subvetss;964231]It’s not the weather that is the problem. Disney removed ALL the underbrush in most areas of the campground. That means no more little bunnies, no more cute racoons, no more ducks waddeling, no more Peacocks around. There is NO more ground cover. If they leave it alone it will eventually grow back but I doubt they will. Oh Well!! There is still Pop Century and we still love Disney.
Joe[/QUOTE]

I don’t think it has been destroyed. They will eventually let some of it grow back, but it had gotten out of control and was causing problem. Along with the cute critters you mention, there were other critters that are not so cuddly that were making their way into people’s campsites and were not welcome (think the slithery kind). Also, too much undergrowth it prime real estate for the large, toothy, reptiles that reside primarily in FL.

Also, a lot of this was done to clean up FW and accommodate the trend of larger RV’s coming to FW. Have you ever tried to use a satellite to get TV or internet in some of those spots? I have and it was nearly impossible. Some of the sites were very difficult to get into with a large RV’s.

So, go to Pop Century if you must, I however, love FW and appreciate the attention Disney has paid to FW recently by adding theming to the pool area, a free-run pet area, and larger, more-open sites.

I do suggest however, that you share your concerns with FW directly. They really do appreciate guest feed-back.

We went to FW for Hoop Dee Doo in January, It is a wonderful resort, but I would never stay there because I like a walls and a ceiling and tv and air conditioning and all that jazz! LOL

I agree! That’s why having an RV is so great.