General Questions About DisneyWorld and my trip

OK…I got a ton of time before my trip, but our last trip to Disney was so great that I am totally excited…and if I learned anything from the 1st one it was to plan now and relax then. So I just want some input from everyone.

The Cast of PLayers on my trip:

Me - Dad
My Wife
My 8 yr old Son
My 5 yr old Son
My 1 1/2 yr old Girl
My 76 yr old Mom

Backdrop - we are staying at All-Star Music in the Family SUite thing. I don’t know much about it besides it has 2 rooms to sleep and I think 2 bathrooms. and it would sleep my whole family without getting 2 rooms. We got the DDP(1 snack, 1 counter, 1 table per person), Parkhopper Passes, you know the usual. Going to be there Dec 26 - Jan 2.

I am sooo excited for 3 reasons.

1. We are going to Disney
  2. I am taking my Mom, who has NEVER been and hasn’t traveled much. And I am getting to pay her way 100%…I am just excited for her.
  3. We are leaving Christmas Day. Kids will not know. We will go to my sisters house and open gifts and then eat and then load up in the van to “take my mom back home”. After a while, when they notice we are not taking her back and they ask where we are going…it is only then we will tell them.

I want suggestions of places to eat…tours…etc. I want EVERYONE to have a good time. My kids are going to have a blast, but I want my mom to enjoy herself as well and maybe line up some dinner reservations at places she would enjoy or some tours or sights she would love.

First of all, you do have a lot of time, but that time will go by so fast, that its a good thing to be asking all these questions now. You will be there during a very busy time, so you really need to be prepared.

We love to talk about food, parks, and other things Disney as you know. I like to use allearsnet for restaurant menus.

Off the top of my head, I would suggest Chef Mickey’s, Crystal Palace and Ohana’s as must do meals for families.

Sounds like a great plan! And you’re right to start planning - so many have been disappointed about not getting dining reservations, because they leave it too late. You’re going at a very busy time, so it’s necessary to have plans.

The best places for children for character interation are:

The Crystal Palace (Winnie the Pooh & Friends)
1900 Park Fare Lane at Grand Floridian (Cinderella (sometimes), the Stepsisters)
Chef Mickey’s - all the gang
Princess Breakfast at the Norwegian Pavillion in Epcot.

I’d try and book at least one character breakfast and one character dinner.

Some here have said it’s more economical to rent two adjoining rooms at a Value instead of the family suites - perhaps you can look into that.

We did look at the two rooms and it was about $1200 more for that time. We did the Crystal Palace once before and enjoyed it. Does my DDP cover the resort’s dining as well.

Yeah, we know its going to be crowded. We went July 4th of 2007 and basically going with the same mindset we used then. “I know its crowded, but where else would I want to be”

btw…Christmas Day is my Mom’s Birthday - will Disney do something for her the day after when we are there with their Celebrations promotion.

[QUOTE=dadofthree;924905]We did look at the two rooms and it was about $1200 more for that time. We did the Crystal Palace once before and enjoyed it. Does my DDP cover the resort’s dining as well.

Yeah, we know its going to be crowded. We went July 4th of 2007 and basically going with the same mindset we used then. “I know its crowded, but where else would I want to be”

btw…Christmas Day is my Mom’s Birthday - will Disney do something for her the day after when we are there with their Celebrations promotion.[/QUOTE]

You have to be there your mom’s actual birthday in order to get the fun card or the free ticket .

I sugguest you get her a birthday pin at guest relations. She will get a lot of Happy Birthdays and sometimes free dessert. also make sure you tell them about her birthday when you make your ADRs .

[QUOTE=dadofthree;924905]We did look at the two rooms and it was about $1200 more for that time. We did the Crystal Palace once before and enjoyed it. Does my DDP cover the resort’s dining as well.

btw…Christmas Day is my Mom’s Birthday - will Disney do something for her the day after when we are there with their Celebrations promotion.[/QUOTE]

Does my DDP cover the resort’s dining as well.

Since you are staying at all stars, you will have a food court, not a sit down restaurant, so you can use your counter service credits there, as well as your snack credits.

[QUOTE=dadofthree;924905] Does my DDP cover the resort’s dining as well.
.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to a resort that you aren’t staying at? If so, yes.

Oh I love your plans- what a fabulous surprise- and yes you have tons of time to make some really great reservations etc

[QUOTE=dadofthree;924897]OK…I got a ton of time before my trip, but our last trip to Disney was so great that I am totally excited…and if I learned anything from the 1st one it was to plan now and relax then. So I just want some input from everyone.

The Cast of PLayers on my trip:

Me - Dad
My Wife
My 8 yr old Son
My 5 yr old Son
My 1 1/2 yr old Girl
My 76 yr old Mom

Backdrop - we are staying at All-Star Music in the Family SUite thing. I don’t know much about it besides it has 2 rooms to sleep and I think 2 bathrooms. and it would sleep my whole family without getting 2 rooms. We got the DDP(1 snack, 1 counter, 1 table per person), Parkhopper Passes, you know the usual. Going to be there Dec 26 - Jan 2.

I am sooo excited for 3 reasons.

1. We are going to Disney
  2. I am taking my Mom, who has NEVER been and hasn’t traveled much. And I am getting to pay her way 100%…I am just excited for her.
  3. We are leaving Christmas Day. Kids will not know. We will go to my sisters house and open gifts and then eat and then load up in the van to “take my mom back home”. After a while, when they notice we are not taking her back and they ask where we are going…it is only then we will tell them.

I want suggestions of places to eat…tours…etc. I want EVERYONE to have a good time. My kids are going to have a blast, but I want my mom to enjoy herself as well and maybe line up some dinner reservations at places she would enjoy or some tours or sights she would love.[/QUOTE]

I read this and it gave me goosebumps. First, because of how excited YOU are to take your mom. And second, because of the Christmas surprise. Very very cool! You’re lucky because you have so much time to plan and get some great ideas.
Definitely do Candlelight Processional even though you’ll be there after Christmas. It’s so worth it for any age!
Happy planning!

OK, in other words can I use my Dining Plan Table Service at Chef Mickeys even though I am in All-Star?

Candlelight Processional is a must. Thanks, that is something I would not have thought of ahead of time.

[QUOTE=dadofthree;924971]OK, in other words can I use my Dining Plan Table Service at Chef Mickeys even though I am in All-Star?

Candlelight Processional is a must. Thanks, that is something I would not have thought of ahead of time.[/QUOTE]

You can use your credits anywhere you like. No one cares which resort is yours. Any one of the participating restaurants can be a place for you to have fun.
I would say that your mom might be a bit shocked at the noise level at Chef Mickey’s. It is less noisy at the Crystal Palace :wink:

You can eat at any resort. We like to book at different resorts, not sure when i will have $$ for BWV or GF but I enjoyed booking meals at different spots so we could get a look at the other resorts. Chef Mickeys is a must and one of the few places you can reserve 180 days out. We also really enjoyed Ohanas for breakfast, great mango juice. My DS who was 9 loves Stitch and was happy to see him. Thinking about the busy time your going what about the Fantasmic dinner package?

[QUOTE=dadofthree;924971]OK, in other words can I use my Dining Plan Table Service at Chef Mickeys even though I am in All-Star?

Candlelight Processional is a must. Thanks, that is something I would not have thought of ahead of time.[/QUOTE]

You can use your DDP one TS each person for the Candlelight Processional dining package (which gives you priority seating into the show) We did it this year, we ate at Mexico. It includes an App too, which no other TS includes.

Also, you MUST go to MK on the ACTUAL DATE of your Mother’s birthday to get the “prize”. I am taking my DD4 on Jan. 25, her birthday and I was told there is a special window outside of MK to go to and claim. I must bring a form of ID that shows her birthday. Once I receive it, it’s good for up to one year. AND, only for her to use.

SO, if you are landing on Xmas day, and that is her birthday . . . I would head over to MK before closing JUST to get the “prize” or else you will miss out.

Is that the San Angelo Inn (or whatever) inside the Mexico building at Epcot. If so, we ate there and we all LOVED it. That would be a big Bonus for a place we were probaly going to try again anyway.

I can’t recommend any character buffets, since my mom has sworn off buffets. BUT I can recommend some all around good eatin, most for decent/cheaper prices, too!

Seasons @ the Land
The Garden Grill @ the Land (the best character meal I’ve ever had!!)
Yak & Yeti @ AK (the full service rest., not the cafe)
Earl of Sandwich @ DTD
Captain Jacks @ DTD

Last but not least…Tokyo Dining!! I’d never eaten here before, but when we were recently in WDW we were celebrating my graduation from College, so we splurged. The food was fantastic, and we were lucky enough to get an AMAZING view out the front window. I would recommend this as an adult-only night though. Everything wonderful aside, there was a big table with some loud and uncontrolled kids next to us. I’m sure you’re kids are well-behaved, but the air of the restaurant seems a little more grown up to me, thats all. :slight_smile:

YES, see the Candlelight Processional. Try to get it as a dinner package so that you don’t have to wait in a line for 3 hours. We did this once with the Rose&Crown in UK, wasn’t bad!

Something everyone might like…try just tooling around all the resorts, especially the $$$ ones, to see the Christmas decorations and just to flat out see the resorts! Alot of them are really beautiful, and the giant gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian is amazing!!

If you got to AK, see Finding Nemo, the musical. I thought it would be just corny and bunk, but it was FANTASTIC. The special effects will wow everyone, and your kids will love “finding” Nemo. :wink:

Epcot: anyone who’s the appropriate height and in good health needs to do Soarin. It brings me to tears, and my usually motion-sick 62 yr old mother ADORES it.

That’s all I got for now…Happy planning!!!

I would definatly suggest the ohanas for breakfast at the poly… we always do cp for breakfast. even when just dh and i go alone… but i think ohanas is quieter and not a buffet but all you can eat and the food is soooo good.

Yes it is . . . I was just there last Xmas.

You can look at my Xmas TR to get you pumped!

It was AWESOME as Xmas and we are planning on going again this year! (fingers crossed :blush:)