Gf

Okay my sister and I sat down to pick out a hotel and once we got looking into it we decided on the GF. Funny that we started by looking at the values first…

Our justification is that this will be the only time that we as a whole family (her family, my family and parents) will be able to go and we want to do it right.

Please give me feed back on the GF as our choice. We mainly picked it because of the room size, monorail access, food options and for the kids the pool.

Good choice or not? Any ideas as to where to request to stay? We have made our minds up this is where we are going to stay as long as we can get parents to say sure why not spend an extra 1500 on just the room…

Thanks

I’ve never stayed there but its the best so I don’t think you could go wrong. Have fun!

Good Luck! $1500 is a lot of money just for the room when there are a lot of other resorts that have just as great of accomodations. The Home Away from Home resorts all have balcony’s, kitchens and great pool areas, maybe not monorail service but personnally I don’t think the monorail is worth $1500. They even have 3 bedroom villas that sleep up to 12. I am not sure how many you have in your party, or if there are any young children, but for us, we wanted to consider what would happen when we put the kids down at night and we were not ready to go to sleep. My in laws are going with us and we are actually looking forward to sitting on the balcony having a nice glass of wine and unwinding after a long day. But that is just us. That said, I don’t think you will find any negatives about GF exept the price.

If you want to see what these villas look like, look up the DVC on the Disney site, it will give you a tour of the Villas and you may like what you see. We found it very appealing!

It is a BEAUTIFUL resort! I always feel as though it’s a LITTLE BIT STUFFY!

I am probably just a Florida girl, who doesn’t know any better, but I feel a LITTLE out of place…not that it’s unwelcoming, because it’s not.

But, I just don’t think I could goof off in true Erin from there. Neither could Matt, and he can’t hold it in for long. :wink:

I don’t feel that way at the WL or the Contemp. So, it’s just me at the GF.

But, it is GORGEOUS! Simply breathtaking at Christmas!

I’d go with the Villas like Nokey suggested. They have so much more room, kitchens, etc. If I were you, I’d at least take a look before you decide…

What about the Poly? Still on the monorail, great pool and O’hannas for eating? Not so much $$. Our next really big trip thats where we are heading!

I feel the same way every time we stop by to look around. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to try at least once. There are so many other resorts to choose from that I think are just so much better.

LITTLE BIT STUFFY for me too, when I’m at WDW I wanna have fun…

MJD

I’ve stayed at the GF once before and I will be staying there again in 16 days. The first visit, I went with just my sister, and we were both still in college. They couldn’t have treated us nicer. Check-in was great. They drove us to our building and showed us to the room. Turn down service was nice but deliverying packages directly to our room REALLY spoiled us. The added benefit of the monorail is so nice, PLUS you have a boat that drops you off (or picks you up) as an added transportation option to the MK.

I’m staying here again because after a car accident injured my spine I didn’t think taking bus service would be too great. When I called to change my plans I tried getting into the Poly (I’ve stayed here and absolutely LOVED it) but couldn’t get in. The reservation person offered the GF. I was hesitant because of all the ‘stuffy’ reviews I have recently read on other boards and said that I was just hoping to pay the costs of the Poly. The person asked if they could put me on hold for a moment and then came back to say they had a room at the GF and quoted me a rate that I expected to pay at the Poly. I know I got lucky with but it’s really given me a positive outlook for my upcoming trip to the GF.

I agree, GF is stuffy.

I’ve stayed there for a wedding a few years ago, and it felt too dated and upscale.

I didn’t feel as if I could release my ‘IMINWDWANDGOINGTOMKLIKEREALLYREALLYREALLYSOON’ energy there in fear of breaking something.

Stick with Poly, bamboo doesn’t break as easily as porcelain. :laugh:

I agree with others. The GF is pretty, but just Too Stuffy for my taste. If there’s a reason you have to stay at a monorail hotel, I’d choose the Poly. Our favorite location to stay in WDW is the EPCOT hotels, the Yacht Club being our favorite hotel.

Wherever you stay, Have Fun!

GF is gorgeous, no doubt. But - well - stuffy is a good word. I’d be scared to death that my kids would touch something they shouldn’t. If it were just adults, that would be different. I tend to agree with Nokey (not just because we own DVC) - the Home Away From Home are great. The 3 bedroom grand villas at OKW are amazing. Two stories, sleeps 12, full kitchen, living room, dining room, 3 bathrooms, laundry room and probably about or maybe less than the GF. And it’s got a great laid-back, let the kids run around and have fun feeling.

Um, I started a thread on the Grand Floridian last month but you are asking a lot more detailed questions.

The Grand Floridian is NICE. :wub:

However, the same thing can be said for other hotels that aren’t as expensive…:pinch:

I suspect the GF is just like the GC in Disneyland. The best available.:wub:

However, there are two types of people who stay at the Grand Californian:

The first is where money is not a concern, and it’s a nice place to crash.:happy:

The second are those people who have saved up the nickels and quarters, expecting to be treated like royalty. And are disappointed when they aren’t wondering why they spent so much money.:crying:

You can look up tripadvisors.com to see comments by those who have stayed.

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6]

The first is where money is not a concern, and it’s a nice place to crash.:happy:

The second are those people who have saved up the nickels and quarters, expecting to be treated like royalty. And are disappointed when they aren’t wondering why they spent so much money.:crying:

QUOTE]

I’m sorry but I take exception to this. I really don’t fall into either one of your categories and have stayed at the GF and am staying here again. In both instances I was lucky enough to get a good deal at the GF so money was/is an issue, although I didn’t have to scrape together pennies. I have no expectation of being treated like royalty. Perhaps that’s why I felt the cast was welcoming and helpful the first time we stayed there.

I found the convenience of a monorail hotel a nice plus, especially this time around. There’s also the boat option, plus bus (if necessary). Options get you to the parks quicker. I also like the standard robes in the room, turn down service, and packages delivered to your room. The time I said at the Dolphin I had to fight with the person in the gift shop about getting my packages (I had all the receipts) because they filed them under the wrong name. It was the day before I was supposed to leave and they refused to look again with my receipts in hand. Amazingly a manager found my stuff. The time I said at the GF we sent all our packages back to the hotel. There were days when the packages were waiting for us when we got back the same day.

The GF also has the largest guest rooms, aside from the villas where you can get a kitchen and livingroom. I don’t know about everyone else but when I go on vacation, I want to leave my kitchen behind. I want it to feel like I’m on vacation, staying in a nice room at a nice resort. Grant it, I’m not taking little kids around with me, just us adults. So the GF works nicely there too.

The bottom line is that everyone has their preference in what they want in a hotel and what ‘extra’ little services they are willing and able to pay for. That’s why Disney gives so many options!

The GF looks like an amazing resort. I’m sure you will have a wonderful time! We have stayed at the CR and will be staying at the Poly in Sept. Having easy access to a monorail is so convenient. It saves a lot of time. Have fun!

Nah Erin, it has nothing to do with being a “Florida girl” and trust me, I’d rather share a resort with you and people like us (we’re major goofs ourselves & can’t manage to keep ice cream off our clothing, Mom would not be proud.)

We never stayed at the Floridian but we visit it each vacation and we also get the stuffy feeling. We went as far as looking at the Narcoosee’s menu & even during our walk to the restaurant we felt we were a bit in over our heads. But, to each’s own, maybe looks are deceiving.

If the monorail is important, I would suggest the Polynesian. We stayed there this past vacation and absolutely loved it. Direct access to the monorails was a major plus. The pools are great, the rooms are beautiful and you’re close to Ticket & Transport so it’s easier to get to Epcot instead of transferring from one monorail to the next. The only time we needed a bus was to get to Downtown Disney and Typhoon Lagoon. We monorail & water taxi hopped to get every place else.

We have been lucky enough to stay at the GF 4 times- the first was when my oldest DD was 19 mos, 2nd she was 4, 3rd she was 13 and our youngest 2 were 8 and finally last year when they were 16, 10 & 10. Before we stayed there we thought the same way others do (too stuffy, won’t fit in…) but after actually experiencing it WE LOVE IT. We also love all of the other resorts that we have stayed in as well - my point being that unless you have tried it you don’t really know. Liking a resort is so subjective. What one loves another doesn’t, so go with your instincts if you’re lucky enough to be able to swing it!!! Whatever you choose, enjoy your trip, and if you do try the GF I hope you love it as much as we do!

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6]Um, I started a thread on the Grand Floridian last month but you are asking a lot more detailed questions.

I suspect the GF is just like the GC in Disneyland. The best available.:wub:

Neither one fits our family. We are a family who lives frugally at home so that we can do whatever we want on vacation and we happen to like the GF. We are a one-income family and have never been disappointed at the GF or any other Disney resort we’ve been lucky enough to stay at. We’re just regular people who use our vacation to escape the ordinary and happen to like to do that at Disney and Disney resorts. You’ll have to add a third type of people who stay at these resorts!!

If a pool is a priority,then might I suggest The Beach Club? Stormalong Bay is the best pool complex at WDW!! Try to rent DVC points to make it even more economical. For my October birthday trip,my mother and I are renting points for a studio villa at BCV for 12 points a night(Sun-Thursday),so at a cost of 120 dollars a night(60 dollars each),we are staying at a Deluxe resrt. I can’t wait!!!

There ARE exceptions!

I truly understand, though I haven’t run across THAT many people who have STAYED at the Grand Californian. I have had to rely on the tripadvisor comments.

I would gladly stay at the Grand Californian if I had the means.

I guess the Grand Floridian is the same, there is a third set of folks who want to stay there and spend the money willingly but appreciate what they gets for it.:wub:

Not saying that’s bad. I just wish I could afford it. Of course, spending four figures on airfare just to get to California hits my budget kinda hard!:crying: