Gift Cards and Children's Spending Money

I apologize if this question has been asked, but I just couldn’t find it in the archives.

We head down to WDW in one week, and my two children have been saving every penny for about 9 months. My husband and I are trying to decide the best way to carry it all. I think we have decided on gift cards, but I want to make sure if I get them at our local Disney Store the kids will be able to use them throughout Disney World.

If anyone knows if you can use them on the cruise too that would be helpful.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

We had the same questions, and did end up getting both gift cards and disney dollars. The gift cards work most places, but the birthday fun card is more limited - this is the free disney gift card. This does not work in Epcot Countries or many DTD stores.

The Disney Gift cards that you can buy at the Disney Store are pretty much widely accepted - we were never told that they were not accepted anywhere we shopped. Disney dollars were treated the same as the gift cards, accepted pretty much anywhere.

We did go off property to Cocoa Beach, however, so we were faced with that issue - the kids spent from our cash and they “owed” us that amount from their gift cards. But if you are not leaving property, you are golden.

Thanks that is helpful.

My kids also save every dime that they can get their hands on when we are planning a trip to Disney World.:happy: I personally don’t like to put all of their money into a gift card just in case they end up not spending it all at Disney, but I also don’t want to carry all of that cash on vacation either. I have a tiny little note pad and I dedicate a couple of pages to each child. I write down on the top of the page how much each child has to spend and then I just keep a running tally of what they spend. Sometimes I write it down right away, and sometimes I just hang on to the receipt (especially when multiple children purchase at the same time) and record it when we get back to the room. I use my Disney Visa to make all purchases, that way they get the discount when applicable, and we also earn points. When we get home they pay me what they owe me for their purchases, and I pay off the credit card. :happy:

Just thought I’d share how my family does it. :happy:

[QUOTE=missymouse;998052]My kids also save every dime that they can get their hands on when we are planning a trip to Disney World.:happy: I personally don’t like to put all of their money into a gift card just in case they end up not spending it all at Disney, but I also don’t want to carry all of that cash on vacation either. I have a tiny little note pad and I dedicate a couple of pages to each child. I write down on the top of the page how much each child has to spend and then I just keep a running tally of what they spend. Sometimes I write it down right away, and sometimes I just hang on to the receipt (especially when multiple children purchase at the same time) and record it when we get back to the room. I use my Disney Visa to make all purchases, that way they get the discount when applicable, and we also earn points. When we get home they pay me what they owe me for their purchases, and I pay off the credit card. :happy:

Just thought I’d share how my family does it. :happy:[/QUOTE]

heehee that’s how I run my scout troop. God bless reimbursements, esp when rewards come with them.
I wish my DD’s would save for Disney. Guess they figure mom & dad will pick up the tab. Sadly they’d rather do without then have to spend their own. Anywhere else i’d be elated for that but not at Disney. DD9 is saving for a laptop and won’t spend any of her $, even at Disney.

My kids are now 15,14, & 12. I agree that a running tab is the easiest thing to do. I have some cash for small items but really just charge things and have them pay me back. It is actually easier and I don’t keep runnning out of cash every day. My kids have liked getting their own loadable visa card as well. It does cost a few dollars but they feel like they are paying with a “credit card”. It could be used outside of Disney as well.

We just returned last week from a week in WDW. This was my DD10 8th trip to the world and she was dying to have her own money and room card/tix this year. So, I had her purchase a bag that she would carry, and gave her a few bucks each day. It was so much easier this year. She even had the characters sign the bag!! Also, she budgeted very well for things. Have fun!

I’m always amazed at how well my kids budget themselves when they have to spend “their” money!:laugh:

The gift card thing is nice, but if you can get the Disney Dollars, I would do that instead. It’s easier for kids to get the money thing with the DD for some reason. Either will work and of course you can use the disney store gift cards at WDW.

When we went with dd who was 8 then, I kept her money and doled out what she needed. The item was $8.50, I gave her $10 and she put the change in a small change purse that we carried around just for her. She left WDW with like $5 lol. This next trip she has been saving her allowance since August and will have $155:blink: if we do the week we want. Plus she’s asking for $$ for WDW for x-mas from relatives instead of gifts. I have yet to figure out how I’m handling the $$ issue this time, last time she only had abut $60. I know I’m letting a 9 yr old carry that much cash. I might just keep a running total on her and she can pay us back.

Those reloadable Visa/MC cards sometimes have hidden fee’s. Like $1 here or $2 here to use the card swiper. I found that out the hard way.

AMEN TO THAT!!! This is why we give the kids money upfront and let them know “we” are not buying stuff. I was proud of my kids this year; I felt they made good buying decisions. But boy do we have some stuff!

No more Disney Dollars, they are being discontinued.:frown:

I like the giftcard idea. That’s what we are doing this trip, and we did the same thing last time, it worked well. The boys kept track of their balances, and they budgeted really well.

This is so true! :laugh:

I just confirmed that Disney is discontinuing the disney dollars so I think I am going to go with the gift cards. I can get two different styles one for each child. Thank you all for your great ideas. I know I am not discplined enough to keep a tally of my children’s purchases.

What great ideas…I’ll have to borrow a few on the next trip. Do you know the expect timeframe the DD will be discontinued?

I love everyone’s ideas!

So sad that they are discontinuing Disney Dollars. Sigh.