Go during free dining - or just before?

Assuming Disney is going to keep offering free dining at the times that they have been for the last few years…

…if you were planning a trip in Summer/Fall 2010, would you go during free dining or just before it?

I have no concept of whether or not free dining has been affecting the crowds over the last few years. I’d be willing to pay for the dining plan if it meant crowds might be a little lower right before the free dining promotion starts. But obviously if the crowds are not much different, might as well get food for free, right? :laugh:

Sorry for always rambling. I am really bad at explaining my questions. I’m just looking for thoughts or opinions. My biggest preference is the lowest possible crowd level, and we’ll either be going in mid/late August or early/mid September. Which do you think would be the best choice?

Free dining does bump up the crowds. But in this economy, I don’t think they are going to get to unmanagable!

Seriously, the wait times last weekend were like 20 minutes TOPS and it was END OF JUNE!!!

I think the whole high/low crowd thing is almost like a shot in the dark. I’ve noticed the last few times, crowd levels have just changed. Like back in March the place was PACKED . . . and Mother’s Day weekend too! (when last year they were not!)

BUT, with that said, there is so much to see and do, and with FP wait times are at a all time low. EMH helps too. GO FOR THE FREE dining . . . it’s worth it!

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;973043]Free dining does bump up the crowds. But in this economy, I don’t think they are going to get to unmanagable!

Seriously, the wait times last weekend were like 20 minutes TOPS and it was END OF JUNE!!!

I think the whole high/low crowd thing is almost like a shot in the dark. I’ve noticed the last few times, crowd levels have just changed. Like back in March the place was PACKED . . . and Mother’s Day weekend too! (when last year they were not!)

BUT, with that said, there is so much to see and do, and with FP wait times are at a all time low. EMH helps too. GO FOR THE FREE dining . . . it’s worth it![/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think you are right about the crowd levels being a shot in the dark! I mean we went at what we thought was a safe time in February, and accidentally caught cheerleading conventions, dance competitions, and Mardi Gras all in the same 4-day period! :pinch:

I would go for free DDP without a doubt. It saves money in the long run and thats what Im always looking for.

For some it might but it might not for everyone since you do have to pay rack rate for the room. For value resorts it’s still a good deal for families but if you’re staying at a deluxe resort the may be better deals out there.

That’s a good point.

And now that I think about it, we’re considering renting DVC points so free dining would be rendered useless for us anyway. (Perhaps I should have thought of that before I started this thread! :laugh:)

Maybe if we rent DVC points, we should go before free dining…we might at least have an easier time getting ADRs. :confused:

[QUOTE=dznygrl;973061]That’s a good point.

And now that I think about it, we’re considering renting DVC points so free dining would be rendered useless for us anyway. (Perhaps I should have thought of that before I started this thread! :laugh:)

Maybe if we rent DVC points, we should go before free dining…we might at least have an easier time getting ADRs. :confused:[/QUOTE]

:laugh:I wondered about that then thought you must have changed your mind about renting points.

No, as always I’m just showing my airheadedness. :laugh: :rolleyes:

Sheesh.

ISn’t mid August through October usually free dining? So either one you could get free dining!!:laugh:

:laugh: Probably…I’m not good at paying attention to what the free dining dates have been lately! :laugh:

All in all I think I may be in need of a nap, because my question ended up being completely moot. LOL!

[QUOTE=dznygrl;973063]No, as always I’m just showing my airheadedness. :laugh: :rolleyes:

Sheesh.[/QUOTE]

If you are renting points make your plans as early as possible because some of the DVC resorts fill up fast. I know Food and Wine festival is in the fall and the two Epcot DVC resorts fill up quickly. I’m sure you already know this but I thought I would throw that out there.

Renting points can make a deluxe resort trip very affordable but it does lock you in more than a regular reservation through Disney. Good luck with your decision.

We are looking to book our trip for between the middle to the end of August of 2010 and I’m so hoping for free dining. I’ve started looking at options and was considering renting points but during the time we are planning to go the amount of points required is high. Also looking into getting an AP and getting a discount on our two rooms as well as a TIW card, but not sure that will be a good option for us either.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;973078]If you are renting points make your plans as early as possible because some of the DVC resorts fill up fast. I know Food and Wine festival is in the fall and the two Epcot DVC resorts fill up quickly. I’m sure you already know this but I thought I would throw that out there.

Renting points can make a deluxe resort trip very affordable but it does lock you in more than a regular reservation through Disney. Good luck with your decision.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I appreciate any advice/input since we’ve never rented points before. I am going to talk with DH and I hope to make a final decision ASAP. I am still weighing the pros/cons of renting points versus getting 2 rooms at a cheaper resort…I just can’t seem to decide. It’s extra hard since we’ve never taken the girls before and I don’t know what would be the easiest for everyone concerned!!

I’ve been where you are, all but the free dining part. Do the math and play around with the numbers and see what you come up with.

In 2009 a week at BCV would only be 123 points of you go between 8/16 and 8/31. If you can find someone renting points at $10 a points that would make the room very affordable. Then it you get an AP you can get a TIW card and save on your dining.

It’s a tough decision, I understand. Renting points can lock you in depending on the owner, some won’t let you cancel at any point. I’m sure there are owners that may allow you to cancel up to a point but after that you lose all money if you can’t go.

If you book through Disney you can cancel very close to the day you arrive but you’ll pay more for the same room.

I’ve rented points from a member on here and it was a very easy transaction and we had a wonderful trip at a deluxe resort at a moderate price.

Good luck!

I loved renting points and would do it again in a heartbeat. When we went last June renting points at OKW M-F was cheaper than staying at a Value with a email pin code. I am sure you can’t go wrong renting points.

They did Free Dining this year Aug-October but typically it was just the month of Sept. because of hurricane season. This year the economy had a lot to do with it. I don’t know how things will be next year. But it sounds like you’ve made your mind up about that anyway. If you’re def. doing at least a one bedroom you’d save more money renting instead of doing free dining.

As for the time of year…I’d go in October! The F&W is running and so is MNSSHP. I know this trip is for Mia so I guess it really depends on her schedule. August is HOTTTT and Sept. is a little better but not much. October finally starts to cool down. Just don’t book your trip around Columbus Day. Our honeymoon was over that holiday and it was a little more packed than I expected.

Okay so here’s another concern I have about renting points. I think if we did go the DVC route, we’d be going for a week and need either 2 studios or one 2-bedroom unit. Are we even likely to find someone who would have that many points to rent??

I’m sure you can. I think we rented enough points to stay 9 nights a couple of years ago, close to 200 points.

Okay cool. :happy: Thanks!