Going back to DL! but need HELP! long post

my wife and i just went to disneyland this may of 08. we loved it, we haven’t been there since we were younger(for me i was about 7, now i’m 29). it brought back childhood memories. i have a picture of me sitting on a canon on main street. i told my wife about this picture and we had to take another one i was so happy to see it, i don’t know why it was just a canon(cause it is the magical place on earth). we stayed at a hotel close by and had two day park hoppers. the first day we went was super packed and it was on a monday, we didn’t know that they had opened a new ride (toy story mania). we were only able to ride the haunted mansion and we saw one of the 3d shows. At CA we rode almost everything except for toy story mania, the lines were ridiculously long, more than two hours! The following day wasn’t so bad but we still didn’t ride anything at disneyland for some reason. We got to see the fireworks though. It was awesome!:confused::confused::confused:

So i stumbled across this website and since i was reading some of the posts, it looks like a lot of you go to DL often. So i figured it would be better to ask you guys questions. We are planning to go back this november 8-15. Do you know if that is a busy time?, we would hate to be there when its super packed again. when are the slowest days? What about the weather, is it cold? Are there any rides that will be closed? We are planning to stay at a disney hotel. My wife wants GCH and i want DLH, i know im gonna have to go with what my wife wants but which do you recommend? Is it worth paying the extra $ from a standard room to one with a view? sorry for the long post, but your help will be greatly appreciated.

OK, there’s a lot goin’ on here but I’ll do my best. hehe.

First of all, I understand what you are saying about crowds. I am a teacher and only able to visit the west coast on crowded school breaks. I’ve been going to Disneyland in June the past 3 years & YES the parks can be PACKED but there are PLENTY of techniques I’ve learned that absolutely work to get you around the parks with ease even during busy times.

Take advantage of “early morning entry,” seriously & on the days it’s not available get there before opening. You get this early morning entry by staying at one of the official DL resort hotels, or if you have certain park hoppers. If there is ONE HUGE thing I’ve noticed about Disneyland people don’t seem to flood the park until 10-11am-ish. Every single trip we’ve made to Disneyland in the summer we get out there EARLY, LITERALLY cover 1/2 the park (sometimes twice) before the crowds even start to pour in. Most of the time we don’t even use Fast Passes because there just isn’t a huge crowd in the morning. We then have a relaxing lunch, perhaps take a nap back at the hotel, and go back out later.

As far as the hotels go, well if you are asking me, I’d say either DLH or GC are the only way to go. I’ve never stayed at Paradise Pier and honestly I probably never will. It’s just not for me. Hotel really comes down to preference. The Disneyland Hotel feels a little busier than the GC, everything is heavily Disneyland themed, it’s closest to the monorail, diverse dining options, etc. The Grand Californian is peaceful, obviously as close to the parks as you can get, and has amazing dining options (Storytellers’ Cafe & Napa Rose). You can’t go wrong with either one, they are both great resorts. I’ve never bothered to pay extra for a view & we’ve always ended up with a nice one; this past June we ended up over the pool w/ a view of DtD & when we stayed at GC last year we ended up overlooking a pretty courtyard.

I’ve never been to Disneyland in November but if you keep doing your research on-line you’ll discover all sorts of information on “busy/slow” seasons, refurbishment schedules, dining reviews, etc. There is plenty of information out there & I think you’ve started in a great place. :smile:

November will be a good time to go. As for cold… well, it’s California. Cold is relative. It’s probably just not going to be that cold.

Being there when it opens is key for Disneyland! Like Wish said, you can get so much done in the first few hours of the park being open.

Welcome to MB driftmonkey! :happy:

Wish did an awesome job of covering all your questions, but I just wanted to reassure you that you will have an incredible time in November! It is a GREAT time to go to Disneyland! The crowds aren’t usually too bad during that week, and the weather is usually comfortable enough for jeans and a sweatshirt or light jacket.

I have never stayed at the Disney hotels (:sad:) so I can’t help you out with that one, but I will say that I wouldn’t bother paying for a nicer view. Chances are very good at that time of year that you may find yourself with a nice view anyway!

If you are worried about attractions being closed, be sure to check Disney’s website right up until the day you leave because things are always changing.

Have a wonderful trip! :biggrin:

thanks for all your great feed back! we can’t wait to go back, maybe this time we can ride everything at disneyland.
also forgot to ask about going into the park early. thanks wish!
thats why we also want to stay at a disney hotel. so, you get to go in the park an hour early but do you get to stay later also? my friend just got back for WDW and she said you get the stay at the parks till 2am if you stay at any DWH. i also checked on the disney website about rides being closed but couldn’t find anything and also tried a search on MB, no nice. thanks again everyone for the help. anymore infor would help.

Here’s a refurb schedule for Disneyland, it looks like (as of right now) all you will be missing is “It’s a Small World:”

Disneyland Refurbishment Schedule - LaughingPlace.com: Disney World, Disneyland and More

[QUOTE=driftmonkey;864561]thanks for all your great feed back! we can’t wait to go back, maybe this time we can ride everything at disneyland.
also forgot to ask about going into the park early. thanks wish!
thats why we also want to stay at a disney hotel. so, you get to go in the park an hour early but do you get to stay later also? my friend just got back for WDW and she said you get the stay at the parks till 2am if you stay at any DWH. i also checked on the disney website about rides being closed but couldn’t find anything and also tried a search on MB, no nice. thanks again everyone for the help. anymore infor would help.[/QUOTE]

No, Disneyland only has early entry- they don’t stay open late for onsite guests.

If you go to disneyland.com click on “calendar”- that’s where you’ll find what’s scheduled to be down.

Thanks again Wish and Andrea, you guys have been great help! One more question, are the pools heated?

I know that most of your questions have been answered but I wanted to throw in a little suggestion. The weather varies here in CA, but it can get a little chillier on a Nov. evening. In the fall or winter my family usually rents a locker along Main Street and stuff our sweaters until the evening, that way you don’t have to lug them around all day.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;864584]Here’s a refurb schedule for Disneyland, it looks like (as of right now) all you will be missing is “It’s a Small World:”

Disneyland Refurbishment Schedule - LaughingPlace.com: Disney World, Disneyland and More[/QUOTE]

Ay chihuahua, I am so glad you mentioned that…we’ve been thinking about going in November and I hadn’t checked the refurbs yet. It’s A Small World is the ONE ride I’m convinced Alice will love, so it’s good to know it’s going to be closed…I’ll try to get her primed for something else instead! :laugh:

This is actually not a bad time to go, after Thanksgiving is murder, and Christmas gets congested… :pinch:

And, by the way, it depends which pool you go to. The Grand Californian IS heated… :cool: