Going in March with no ADR's

After 10 years of going to Disney and planning all the ADR’s for each trip, I could not for the life of me think of any place I couldn’t live without. Maybe it is because we were just there in December and decided to use up some expiring DVC points for a quick Spring Break trip in March or maybe because the food at the restaurants seems to be more of the same for the most part. I decided this trip that we would visit the less busy places and take a chance. Worst case scenario we can go ofsite since we are driving this trip. I feel like the DDP only raised prices at the restaurants and removed many of the choices we once had for variety in our meals.

Anyone else gotten to that point where they are ready to just wing it for dining and not worry about ADR’s?

My best friend and I have talked about doing a trip for just the two of us and doing counter service dining only. I think having less scheduled would be fun. This up coming trip is for 11 people so we have all dining planned.

I’m still doing DDP because the kids are little and like the character meals and “fun” themed restaurants. As they get older I’m sure we will stick with counter service and “wing it” most days. I’m hoping that saving $$ by not doing DDP will balance out the increase in cost for their park tickets.

I find that the DDP is totally worth it if you have kids aged 3-9. Once they hit “adult”, I don’t think it will be such a great deal.

We rarely do DDP. With teenage boys, they don’t want to be giving up hours of park time for a meal. QS works really good for us. Also, regular life always has us sticking to schedules, don’t want that for vacation. Much rather go with the flow. So, coming from experience, as long as you don’t have your heart set on a specific meal, we really never had a problem finding some good food. Only a couple of times did we find a restaurant too crowded, so we just moved on to our second choice.

Going in March with no ADR’s…that’s the best way to me. Although we do schedule 1-2 fav’s + 1 newbie but the rest we go with the flow. We’ll show up and if there’s room with minimal wait we’ll stay, otherwise we’ll move right along to a less crowded place. There always something somewhere.

I think it will be very spontaneous without ADR’s!

I went back and forth on ADR’s for our up coming trip. But seeing how we have free dinning and DD will be considered an ADULT :glare: in April I figured this would be our last sit down plan for awhile.
We decided, for the first time to go to a signature restaurant too–Narcoossee’s!

The next time we head to WDW we are only making two ADR’s, one for breakfast at CP and one for dinner at Germany. The rest we are winging it as usual. Those two place the family must eat at. When we were ther last Dec, we did these two only and winged the rest. We got seated at Saanaa for a late lunch, Canada for Dinner, France for late dinner and Boatwright for dinner. We had breakfast at Kona Cafe twice without ADR’s also. So yes you can do it with very little problem. I suggest either a late lunch or late dinner.

We never make ADRs anymore. If we want to eat out we just visit Guest Services if were in a park or phone from the resort and see what’s available. There’s always something unless you’re there at ultra-ultra peak times. I just can’t take the hassle of having to race to ADRs anymore. If worse comes to worse well go to Wolfgang Puck Express at DTD - the food there is terrific - or I’ll make something at the suite.

Last time I went was for a 9 day trip. We had 3 ADRs and winged the rest. It was refreshing and there were lots of places available. The only crowed place was MK for meals, but we went strictly counter.

I think its only been the last three or four years we have made ADR’s and used the DDP. Before that, we always just made our ressies from the room when we arrived at WDW and rarely missed out on anywhere. Sure we may not have always got the times we wanted, but if you’re prepared to be flexible they are very accommodating and will try their best to find a slot for you.
Of course the very popular places like Le Cellier are pretty hard to wing, but we’ve done it with patience!

I’m glad to hear that others have done it with little problem. There is just nowhere that I feel we must visit for this trip. Who knows, maybe I am starting a new trend for our trips. I didn’t like it when we had to live by a dining schedule in December. I know that I had no trouble getting in at Kona Cafe or Nine Dragons as walkups for lunch on days when DD and I decided we wanted to eat at a sit down place.

One place that always seems available is Tokyo Dining in the Japan Pavillion. Even if you don’t like sushi - it’s great! (if you do, it’s even better). The servers are so sweet and charming and the warm towels and beautiful contemporary setting is relaxing. The tempura is light, tasty and absolutely greaseless. The green tea soothing. This was one place we took because nothing else was convenient for us. Now it’s a “must-do”.

It is soooooo relaxing just winging it. Now Pam does insist on 1-2 special meals, but the rest of our trips now are spent ‘doing what we want to do when we want to do it’.
We call the night before if we know where we will definately be or in the morning when we wake up. And even then we sometimes change what we booked just 6-8 hours earlier.
And it forced us to try new locations.

This is so absolutely true! And it’s fun, too. We tried Paradiso at DTD our last trip - it was excellent! I don’t think I’ve ever seen it mentioned here. The food was good - and interesting, if you tried some of the South American dishes. I don’t think we would have even thought about it, except that when we went by it looked empty.

[QUOTE=Pooh Fan;1062945]After 10 years of going to Disney and planning all the ADR’s for each trip, I could not for the life of me think of any place I couldn’t live without. Maybe it is because we were just there in December and decided to use up some expiring DVC points for a quick Spring Break trip in March or maybe because the food at the restaurants seems to be more of the same for the most part. I decided this trip that we would visit the less busy places and take a chance. Worst case scenario we can go ofsite since we are driving this trip. I feel like the DDP only raised prices at the restaurants and removed many of the choices we once had for variety in our meals.

Anyone else gotten to that point where they are ready to just wing it for dining and not worry about ADR’s?[/QUOTE]

I don’t quite wing it (I do plan the must dos), but I honestly could care less about ADR hopping. It’s stressfull and annonying to me now for some reason.

Our kids are 1, 4, and 6. We have been just doing the Quick Service Dining plan. They each want to go different places and not having set times to eat has helped. We used to have everything planned out now we seem to enjoy it more with the free schedule.

If there is a special meal we want, we do it and just pay. It also makes it trip a little different.

One tradition we keep is to have Caseys while watching the last parade of the night at MK.