Going to Disneyland

oops, I posted my response on your other post

Ok, so dining at Disneyland? Help! I feel like newbie all over again! Is there anywhere that I have to make a reservation for? Keep in mind that I am traveling with a 13, 11, and 2 year old… who will have just been to WDW (don’t ask). So, I do not have to do a character meal unless it is really unique.

But where should I make reservations? And what is the calling on the phone and only 60 days out? I’m baffled, lol.

Really, any advice you could give me for that or park touring would be helpful! We’re staying at the Disneyland Hotel if that makes a difference… Thanks!

Oh, and has anyone been to the Walt Disney Family Museum? Not sure if I can swing this, but it is maybe on my list… (I know, in San Fran).

ok, couple more questions… What did you really do in LA/Hollywood? Anyone been to the Reagan Library? Was it worth the drive?

I know, it sounds like a whirlwind trip of CA. I already have a title for my TR… it might be " Driving over California" lol
or, The Griswolds trip to Wally World.

Here’s my itinerary so far…
Fly in to LAX or JOHN WAYNE
4 nights at Disneyland Hotel
(first day just get there, swim, go to Downtown Disney, etc-maybe eat somewhere nice?)
3 park days if we need it at Disney/Downtown Disney
Then get up get our rental car, drive north to Hollywood/LA, etc (need suggestions here)…
Start driving a little ways north- get a hotel. See Hearst Castle along the way, and whatever else…
Make our way up to Monterrey area Get a hotel…see the aquarium,etc…
Drive to Yosemite, see it, spend the night.
Drive to San Fran- see it for 2 days… go home
Whew, have a huge party at my house 4 days later…lol

[QUOTE=hanwill;1130211]Ok, so dining at Disneyland? Help! I feel like newbie all over again! Is there anywhere that I have to make a reservation for? Keep in mind that I am traveling with a 13, 11, and 2 year old… who will have just been to WDW (don’t ask). So, I do not have to do a character meal unless it is really unique.

But where should I make reservations? And what is the calling on the phone and only 60 days out? I’m baffled, lol.

Really, any advice you could give me for that or park touring would be helpful! We’re staying at the Disneyland Hotel if that makes a difference… Thanks![/QUOTE]

Reservations for the Blue Bayou, if you’re eating there, or Carthay Circle. Any place else… yeah, might as well make them if you can since it’s such a busy time… but it doesn’t have to be at 7am at the 60 day mark. I believe the Blue Bayou to be very overpriced… I like to make a late afternoon reservation and just have dessert in the lovely, cool atmosphere of Pirates.

Make a reservation at Cafe Orleans for lunch, and order the Pommes Frites. Oh, oh, oh.

The food at Goofy’s Kitchen is MUCH BETTER than Chef Mickey’s, but it’s a similar experience.

[QUOTE=hanwill;1130214]Here’s my itinerary so far…
(first day just get there, swim, go to Downtown Disney, etc-maybe eat somewhere nice?)
Then get up get our rental car, drive north to Hollywood/LA, etc (need suggestions here)…
Start driving a little ways north- get a hotel. See Hearst Castle along the way, and whatever else…
Whew, have a huge party at my house 4 days later…lol[/QUOTE]

Someplace nice for the first night? Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen (626 is a huge fan!) or Napa Rose at Grand Californian (really nice… or so I’ve heard… haven’t been there…).

Do NOT eat at Tortilla Jo’s. DO NOT EAT. (*Exception: the bowl of fresh guacamole as big as your head. That with a margarita would make a lovely afternoon snack.) Again: Tortilla Jo’s is to be avoided at all costs.

Oooh… don’t forget that the Earl of Sandwich just opened up at the end of DTD closest to the DH! Much more convenient than the one at WDW.

Random Information YOU NEED WITH A TWO YEAR OLD: At Disneyland, strollers have to be collapsed to get on the monorail. So while you’re walking from the DH to the turnstiles in the morning you’ll see the monorail entrance… depending on how well you’ve packed your stroller it can be a HUGE pain. And honestly? I like the walk to the front gate, when DTD is mostly empty.

Holllywood/LA: The only thing I really like is Griffith Park Observatory. :happy: Hollywood is just dirty. The walk of fame area is just touristy and gross (although inside the theaters- either the Chinese or El Capitan- is kinda cool and old Hollywood).

It’s 1am. I’m all over the place here. :laugh:

Thank you! I have nothing to base this trip on, so your help is very much appreciated. We are all excited.

I’m excited FOR you! :laugh:

Although they freakin’ lost their ever-lovin’ minds when they re-did the DLH lobby, the rooms are just so beautifully done. Great choice. (And I’m curious about what led you to choose it?)

Oh- the headboard is ridiculously loud. You might want to warn the baby before you turn it on (yeah, it’s that loud).

I’m just going to add random things here and there and keep talking because I can’t shut up.

Double post. I really can’t shut up.

lol, anything that you tell me about it will help- because I’ve never been.
Well, we want to be close to Disney, so we started looking at the 3 hotels. We liked them all, but the pool there looked better than PP, and the cost just didn’t make sense for the GC (even though it was only $500)… Plus, the rooms looked more plush than the others. We have 5 and so we need the space…

No, for the game plan for the parks, and I’ll be good… I need to look at the map and study it a little… We are excited about seeing it!

[QUOTE=hanwill;1130214]Here’s my itinerary so far…
Whew, have a huge party at my house 4 days later…lol[/QUOTE]

Just wow. I am impressed. This looks like one of MY schedules… :pirate:

yeah, well Im crazy like that. Even though we are not doing a full Disney trip, it’s kinda commando like a WDW trip… just on the west coast. All of it, lol.

[QUOTE=hanwill;1130211]Ok, so dining at Disneyland? Help! I feel like newbie all over again! Is there anywhere that I have to make a reservation for? Keep in mind that I am traveling with a 13, 11, and 2 year old… who will have just been to WDW (don’t ask). So, I do not have to do a character meal unless it is really unique.

Really, any advice you could give me for that or park touring would be helpful! We’re staying at the Disneyland Hotel if that makes a difference… Thanks![/QUOTE]

As Andrea mentioned, AVOID TORTILLA JOES.

Blue Bayou is nice, but horribly expensive. The food at Jazz Kitchen is better with a more affordable price.

Napa Rose ROCKS. IF you can eat there once, it’s worth the visit. Voldemort and I try to schedule at least ONE meal to enjoy. It’s not cheap, but not any more expensive than Blue Bayou. Go figure. I have HEARD that Carthay Circle is just as good.

As for the rest of the park, Bengal BBQ is good for a light snack. I have found that the French Market right across from Blue Bayou is just as good food as you will find elsewhere. It’s sit down, though converted from a previous counter-service.

Also, if, for some reason, you actually rented a car from John Wayne, you COULD drive up to AMAZON BBQ on Lemon Street just North of Anaheim and give your offspring the opportunity to eat gator.
AMAZON BBQ - Brazilian B.B.Q. Buffet
And other mystery meats. :pirate:

Speaking of the rental car, we are getting it at the end of our Disney part of the trip and then using it for the rest of the week- no need to pay for it while it is parked at the hotel…

Well, since you “pay” for the rental car every 24 hours, seriously look at renting the car your last night in Anaheim and drive North to the Brazilian BBQ restaurant.

I always get a rental car, as I had a premium pass, which meant free parking at Disney, and then it opened up hotel rooms in Fullerton, Costa Mesa, etc.

But seriously, you would regret missing out on the all you can eat special. Some of the best food I’ve ever eaten was there. :pirate:

I love me some Bengal BBQ. But the line is always ridiculous and there’s essentially no seating. (Which never stops me. Bengal BBQ, and the bacon-wrapped asparagus, is a must-do for me!)

I took that trip in April of 2012!. We started in SF and drove down the PCH (absolutely beautiful drive!!) all the way to San Diego. It was me, my mom, and two boys ages 8 and 10. We were gone for 15 nights and it was truly the trip of a lifetime. We did 3 days in Disneyland and stayed at the Howard Johnson. It is a very short walk to the main gate and has a little water park at the hotel…just perfect!. About 20 minutes south of Disney was the santa ana? science museum…great way to spend the day. We also did Universal and LOVED IT!

Starting from SF to LA…we drove north to south…we did 3 days in SF…riding cable cars, visiting pier39 and Fishermans Wharf, Muir woods, The USS Hornet. Union Square, Chinatown. You can buy day passes and multi day passes for the trolleys at several places in the city. It will save you LOTS of $$. Also we took a lovely boat ride under the Golden gate bridge and around alcatraz. The big companies wanted $35 pp…ouch… we found a small boat that we could haggle with and it was $45 for 4 of us…nice ride, informative guide, and he provided blankets!

Driving down the coast we stopped at Pebble Beach and drove 17 mile drive. We stayed the night in Pismo Beach at the lighthouse suites…beautiful. There is also a hotel just to the north of Pismo where every room is decorated differently. Its called the madonna inn. Looked cool…maybe next time

While in LA we went to Griffith observatory, and of course saw the chinese theater and all the tourist stuff. A few hours there was more than enough.

Have a wonderful time! Thanks for letting me relive my vacation!!

Thank you! I needed someone to confirm it was doable… We are getting excited!

But where should I make reservations? And what is the calling on the phone and only 60 days out? I’m baffled, lol.[/QUOTE]

I agree that while overpriced, Blue Bayou is one of those things you have to do once. I think the kids will like it. Also, Goofy’s Kitchen is a nice buffet, and Tangaroa Terrace is unique. With only a few days there (and a considerable difference from the TS restaurants at WDW), you will prolly want to eat mostly at Counter Service locations. A couple of my faves at DL are Bengal BBQ (light lunch or snack), French Market (especially in the evening when they have entertainment), Hungry Bear Restaurant (lower level by the water), Rancho del Zocalo (at night for the lights), and the Corn Dog Wagon at the end of Main Street.

At DCA, I’ve heard good things about Carthay Circle, but it might not be to the kids taste… There are a few more choices since the redo, and I love Bordwalk Pizza & Pasta, and Paradise Garden Grill. The setup there is really nice and they usually have entertainment. And, the Cozy Cones are great for snacks, while the kids may like Flo’s.

You don’t usually need to make reservations as far out as as WDW, since the DDP is different and not really used. But that gives you more time for touring!!