Going to Disneyland

[QUOTE=hanwill;1130213]ok, couple more questions… What did you really do in LA/Hollywood? Anyone been to the Reagan Library? Was it worth the drive?

I know, it sounds like a whirlwind trip of CA. I already have a title for my TR… it might be " Driving over California" lol
or, The Griswolds trip to Wally World.[/QUOTE]

Haven’t been to The Reagan Library yet, but it is quite a trek… I don’t think it would be worth it on such a short trip. LA/Hollywood can be so much fun!! There’s the Walk of Fame which isn’t much, but Hollywood & Highland is a nice mall, and Graumman’s is a nice photo op. Of course Disney’s El Capitan theater and Soda Fountain is right there too! Madame Taussaud’s seems pretty popular, and In n Out is down the street.

You can hike at the Griffith Observatory, or tour inside of it. There is Universal’s Citywalk which is a great walk with plenty to do (and Universal Studios if you feel like it). You can even ride the Metro there from Hollywood and Highland.

Touring the studios and museums might be fun. Warner Bros and Disney are just over the hill in Burbank, and the Farmer’s Market/ Grove (an outdoor shopping area) is close to Museum Row on Wilshire. They have LACMA there, but the kids might enjoy the La Brea Tar Pits or Peterson Automotive museum more.

If you don’t mind heading a short ways further though, the kids may really like the Science Center or Natural History Museum in Exposition Park! They have the Spaceship Endeavor there!.. And we haven’t even started on the beaches. There are some in Orange County closer to Anaheim, but the more iconic ones are Santa Monica, Malibu, and Venice.

As for food, people already mentioned In n Out, but may I also suggest Pink’s and Tommy’s for fast food. A personal favorite near Hollywood is Bossa Nova, a Brazilian/Italian fusion near Hollywood Blvd, and Zankou Chicken for Armenian/ Middle Eastern. I know it’s a lot of info, but I got more suggestions if you need em’ :laugh:

Thank you, Disney Princess… It helps a lot- I’m trying to fill in the holes of our trip now… I’ll ask more questions soon!

[QUOTE=hanwill;1130213]ok, couple more questions… What did you really do in LA/Hollywood? Anyone been to the Reagan Library? Was it worth the drive?

I know, it sounds like a whirlwind trip of CA. I already have a title for my TR… it might be " Driving over California" lol
or, The Griswolds trip to Wally World.[/QUOTE]

What do you really do in LA/Hollywood? Well, in Hollywood, you look at the other people wandering around being tourists.

I don’t consider the Reagan Library a huge trek out of the way (I spent my teen years in Simi Valley- holla! :-D) if you’re thinking of hitting it while you’re on your way up the 101. But I’ve never been there, and I do know that Simi itself isn’t anything to look at. (Sidenote: my dad worked on the phone system for the Reagan Library while it was being built, and apparently for a presidential library there’s a lot of security. He’d ask a perfectly reasonable question for his work… something like How many phone lines will you need? and get answers like “why do you need to know?” :blink: :blink: :laugh:)

Ok. So I am going to Disneyland on Monday. Did they change the way they handle fast passes like they did in disneyworld? Can you get a fast pass in the morning and use it in the evening outside of your window times? Thanks for the help

It’s being enforced now. Which ruins my previously perfected touring plan.

Here’s a good explanation:

Chat The Joy of Fastpass 2

Thanks Andrea. Not good news though.

We stayed at the Desert Palms Hotel and Suites which is a very short walk to the parks.

We stayed at the Hilton with a disney view room and it was an easy walk and great view of the fireworks every night. It’s just a less expensive alternative to the Disney properties there and almost just as close.
We’ve eaten at quite a few places there on our trips, even - gasp- Tortilla Joe’s - what is wrong with them btw? It’s been years since we ate a meal there. We just had chips, salsa and margarita’s last time we went, but it seemed fine when we did eat there years ago. Blue Bayou, Cathay Circle, Napa Rose and Brennan’s are all excellent choices and the food was very good at all of those places. Of those, I would put Napa Rose and Cathay Circle as my favorites with Brennan’s next and then Blue Bayou. The atmosphere at Blue Bayou is really awesome though. My absolute favorite was D33, but that’s not an opportunity that everyone can get sadly. I forget what the name of the place is in the French Quarter area, but they have a walk up where you can order beignets which were really good. I would get those at least once. Goofy’s Kitchen was good from what I remember. We tried In N Out and they were really good burgers and fries, but I don’t know if it lived up to the expectations we had of it being the best ever.
We went over to Huntington Beach for a day and really enjoyed just relaxing there. I don’t know if that was on your list, but it made for a fun day.

I’d really suggest you keep the 3rd day at Disneyland because while it can be done in 2 days, it’s a little more congested in July and you may miss some things that you might like to catch on that 3rd day.You will have a great trip no matter what, but I just saw this and thought I’d add some of our thoughts to it in hopes that it would help some.

Well, my problem with Tortilla Jo’s was that the first time I ate there it wasn’t worth the longish wait and the food was… eh, just okay… and then when I ate there the next time my burrito was inedible (and I’ll eat nearly anything, although I appreciate really good food). It had huge, tough chunks of beef in it. Not chunks that would reasonably fit in anyone’s mouth, more like 2 inch squares. Gross. Although the guacamole is my favorite guacamole I’ve ever had. So go figure.

disneymom- how’d your trip go?

HANWILL!!! Have you made your reservations? Disneyland Hotel is already booked up that second week of July! (That was my first choice of dates for going… turned out that didn’t work out, though. Going later in the month!)

Yes- I have made my ressies- so excited! We are going the 3rd week of June, and we can’t wait… gotta go count my 45 days out… Kids are excited! need to make dining ones though… Going to be fun!

Oh wow - that is coming fast!! Hope you have a fantastic time!

If I had that experience twice, I wouldn’t recommend it or go back either - they do have good margaritas and great happy hour prices on them. I confess that the last time we went, it was just my DH and I, and we drank our lunch.

You will have a lot of fun there as it is amazing place to visit.

Help! Panic- I’m at 60 days… and I can’t decide where to eat… I’ve almost ruled out Blue Bayou- because of the price, but I would probably do Carthay Circle…

I’m looking for one table service meal a day there (for 3 days)… Also thinking about the Cafe Orleans… What else do I need to do? I’m having a hard time with this!

Cafe Orleans is lovely and you must eat Pommes Frites! YUM YUM YUM!

I think ruling out Blue Bayou is the right choice.

Carthay Circle is getting really nice reviews. I haven’t tried it and probably won’t for a while… so of course I want you to do it so you can report back. :laugh:

What plans DO you have? I’m waiting for the calendar to come up before I start getting obsessive. No, that’s not exactly true. I’m already getting obsessive, there’s just nothing much I can do about it yet. :laugh: So- in detail: which park which day… the dining plans you HAVE settled on… you know… details. :happy:

[QUOTE=hanwill;1133010]Help! Panic- I’m at 60 days… and I can’t decide where to eat… I’ve almost ruled out Blue Bayou- because of the price, but I would probably do Carthay Circle…

I’m looking for one table service meal a day there (for 3 days)… Also thinking about the Cafe Orleans… What else do I need to do? I’m having a hard time with this![/QUOTE]

Yes, rule out Blue Bayou, except for maybe dessert and coffee, Carthay Circle looks great, Cafe Orleans requires the pomme frites as well as the Monte Cristo Sammich. :pirate:

Oh- a friend of mine and frequent DL visitor highly recommends the Matterhorn Macaroon from the Jolly Holiday bakery. :happy:

Well… Not sure about plans for specific days- need to decide that tonight… Any ideas? We will be there bright and early on a Monday am, and have Tuesday and Wednesday as well… We plan on going full speed ahead for those 3 days. Not too picky about eating for breakfast, or when I should enter early… (so many questions!) Anyone want to help? Andrea??? lol? Thanks for any suggestions- I am so green for all this, but so excited!

Carnation Cafe is yummy, and Wine Country Trattoria, and Cafe Orleans are nice… Other than that, I would prolly stick to the quick service locations because Disneyland doesn’t have the same amount of sit down selection that the World does. And some of the food is excellent! Sourdough bowls at Pacific Wharf Cafe, or dining alfresco at Paradise Garden Grill, Hungry Bear Restaurant, Rancho del Zocalo, or French Market Restaurant. I can’t comment on the food at the Disney hotels because we don’t really venture out of the parks at Disneyland.

If you’re not already at the DLH, plan to check in about 6am Monday morning, then walk through DTD to the Security Check. Then go to the DCA gate for early entry at 7am.

Follow the hordes to Radiator Springs! Do NOT be distracted by Luigi’s Flying Tires or Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree… do not be distracted by your astonishment that you are WALKING THROUGH THE MOVIE. Just keep walking past everything to Radiator Springs Racers. Then wait in line and enjoy.

After RSR, if you want to ride it again, have someone get in line for FP. The FP machines open at 8am, but the line will already have grown… you may not even get to the FP line before then.

Okay… NOW you can relax and enjoy Cars Land. :laugh:

Tuesday Morning: Early Entry to Fantasyland/Tomorrowland. I think the best way to work this is to spend 55 minutes in Fantasyland (Peter Pan first, NO messing around, prepare ahead of time to abandon stroller), and then head to Space Mountain at 7:55am.

Wednesday: Repeat the DCA morning. :happy:

In any case, that’s how I play it. :happy: