Good Airfare Price vs. Driving?

Due to the cost of airfare, we have decided to drive to WDW this trip, which is a first for us, to save on money. I hate using the time to drive but if it is going to save us buko bucks, I’ll do it. We estimated between airfare, car rental (DH will not budge on using WDW transportation, he would rather have a car) and taxi/limo to airport (again DH will not budge on just parking at the airport), driving will save us almost $2500. Yup that’s what I said, $2500. That was back in Nov. when we first booked the room.

I have just spent about 2 hours pricing airfare in and out of different airports.

There are 4 of us, Me, DH, and 2 DS’ (13 and 17). We always rent a car so we have several airport options plus we are between two airports, Philadelphia or Allentown, PA at home.

Cheapest quoted…(Orlando was too much) and I won’t fly anything other than nonstop, that I won’t budge on!

Flying from Philadelphia to Tampa, FL from SW $815.00+ Roundtrip nonstop

Flying from Allentown to Sanford, FL from Allegient Air was $720.+ Roundtrip nonstop also

Dollar Rental car was $345.00 for a midsize for 9 days, with discount code OOAG, and serves both airports. I tried every code on Mousesavers and this code beats them all.

So you figure, I am roughly under $1500.00 for 4 on airfare, rental car and ride to airport.

My question… should I wait it out and keep checking air fares? DH wants to keep checking up to about 21 days before we leave and if nothing comes in cheaper, then we drive. Is this the cheapest I am going to get?

Sorry for the long explanation, I am having trouble thinking after all this.

Check out Atlantic city and what Spirit is offering. Sign up for the $9 club…costs $9 for the first 90days and you can cancel right bfore you time is up. I have received some decent deals on there.

My parents and I have driven to Disney before. It can be fun as long as you have enough to do. But I prefer flying. You get there faster. I have one question about the taxi/limo to the airport. Do you mean from and to your house or the airport to WDW? If your trying to get to the airport from your house and don’t want to leave your car and pay for parking (prices can be outrageous), have a willing family member to take you to the airport. My brother has done that for us. Then we use Disney’s Magical Express to get from the airport to the resort and back to the airport. DME is free and is a fun and enjoyable ride!! Hope this helps!

Glad to see you hiner!

We just got back last week. We put on 2540 (took a side trip to St. Augustine) and gas cost a grand total of $215!!! Even with a night on the road there and back (figure a hotel at $100/night x 2 nights) and food along the way we were still way under $500. I just priced airfare for spring break and can’t find anything out of austin less then $1200 for the four of us (blah) and that is with one stop along the way. The non-stops are around $1600. That is just too much for me to justify flying :frowning:

Taxi/Limo is from home to airport and then we rent a car in FL from airport to WDW and drive around instead of using transportation.

I wish we had family close to us to drive us, they are all in North Jersey:frown:

[QUOTE=BDavis932;919978]Glad to see you hiner!

We just got back last week. We put on 2540 (took a side trip to St. Augustine) and gas cost a grand total of $215!!! Even with a night on the road there and back (figure a hotel at $100/night x 2 nights) and food along the way we were still way under $500. I just priced airfare for spring break and can’t find anything out of austin less then $1200 for the four of us (blah) and that is with one stop along the way. The non-stops are around $1600. That is just too much for me to justify flying :([/QUOTE]

Yes has been a while. Just had too much going on to join in. Now that I am in the process of planning again and with the winter here now, I can get on the computer:blush:

DH and I figured it would cost roughly $500 to drive and hopefully straight through. We’ll also have one of my step sons with us to help with the driving. It will be his first trip with us. He has been to WDW probably 1000 with his mom and we can finally snag him to go with us. We are all very excited!!!

We’re hoping to drive straight through but I will have hotel numbers in case we decide to stop. Plus I will have food packed to help save on meal costs during the driving.

[QUOTE=hiner;919979]Taxi/Limo is from home to airport and then we rent a car in FL from airport to WDW and drive around instead of using transportation.

I wish we had family close to us to drive us, they are all in North Jersey:frown:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we rent a car too. Waiting for those buses for the parks are time wasters. But we like to ride the monorail because that’s an enjoyable ride.:cool:

We’ve done both - DME and rental car. My sons prefer DME, but honestly, I love the convenience of having the car and being able to leave property for groceries and some meals, so I’m kind of sympathetic with your DH.
We are considering driving at some point, but we’ll wait until the boys are a little older, since it’s a 17-hour drive from here, and the boys just couldn’t handle that as a single-day marathon. Taking 2 days each way really eats into prime Disney time!

We estimate that we actually almost saved a day by using the car vs waiting and using the buses.

We use the monorail or boats from MK and EPCOT to a resort for an ADR.