Gratuities

From what I am reading the 18% gratuity is automatically added to your bill. I find it a bit ridciulous especially at a buffet where you can’t ever find your server for a drink refill. Is there a way to control the amount you would like to leave. I guess my question is whether the 18% is just a suggestion or if when you are charging gratuity to your key to the world card can they automatically charge the full amount. I do not have a problem tipping generously for someone who provides good service. I just know that good service is sometimes not the case. Has anyone gone recently? What was your experience?

we’ve had some good tipping threads recently… let me see if I can find the link.

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/wdw-restaurants/46933-gratuity.html?highlight=tipping

I think it’s just if your party is 6 people or more. They give tip suggestions on the bill like many restaurants do but they aren’t required if your party is under 6 people. This is pretty much the norm for dining anywhere.

Do you have a link to the automatic tip on every bill?

I do know that if you use the Tables in Wonderland card the tip is added to you bill but I hadn’t heard that it’s being added to every bill.

even with tables in wonderland, double check your bill-there were a few places we used it last August, and the gratuity was not automatically added in (California Grill was one, and I don’t recall the other). Just a good idea to check, because if we assumed that it was added at CG, our waiter wouldn’t have recieved anything.

Good advice- you must check your bill, and also your room account! We had incorrect charges on our bill at Captain’s Grille, and then incorrect charges from the restaurant the next day on our room charge.

With TiW, the gratuity is supposed to be automatically added on (18%), but it doesn’t always happen.

DT- I’ll find the link…

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/wdw-restaurants/48699-tables-wonderland-formerly-known-disney-dining-experience.html?highlight=TiW

[QUOTE=leslieh;937804]

DT- I’ll find the link…[/QUOTE]

Then it’s true that a tip is being added to every bill not just TiW users? I thought that was the only time the tip as added unless you have a larger group.

All TiW users are supposed to be having the18% gratuity added on, regardless of party #.

Diners without the TiW card are having the grat added for parties of 6 or more. Not with smaller parties.

[QUOTE=leslieh;937807]All TiW users are supposed to be having the18% gratuity added on, regardless of party #.

Diners without the TiW card are having the grat added for parties of 6 or more. Not with smaller parties.[/QUOTE]

Good, I thought something had changed. We’ve used the TiW card a couple of times and always had the tip added every time but we’re usually a group of 8 when we have the card.

As stated above, it is only being added to non Tables in Wonderland parties of 6 or more or parites using the Tables in wonderland card. They do have a “suggested” tipping amount on the bottom of the check, but it is not added to your bill (this is for parties under 6 who are not using the TIW card)

We were on the dining plan in January with a party of two. Each TS bill would should the cost of the meal and a couple lines indicating both an 18% and 20% tip - they were essentially doing the math for you. We could then tip we liked.

After a couple of glasses of champagne, I always found those two little lines with suggested tips VERY helpful.

Being lazy, I find them helpful too.
Were it not for the “suggested” tip at 18 and 20% being shown, I usually just automatically go to 20% of the after tax total (divide by 5) and then consider if the waiter/service staff are worth that full, inflated amount or not and then cut back a little accordingly.
The “suggested” tips are pre sales tax totals and as such are lower than my standard tip.
But hey, if you want to show me how small a tip I can get away with and not feel bad, go right ahead and I’ll tip less.

Repeating, automatic tips are only added to all parties of 6 or more people and to any party of any size using the Tables In Wonderland membership discount.

My husband and I always use the TiW card regardless of whether it’s just us or if one of our kids and family is along. We always check to make sure the gratuity is added; then we add what we feels the service justifies. We had a couple of great servers in January and made sure they knew how pleased we were.
I am curious, however, if each server gets their tips from the parties they serve, or if the tips are pooled and divided. Being in the bar and restaurant business, I wonder how other places handle it.

[QUOTE=M5ward;937867]My husband and I always use the TiW card regardless of whether it’s just us or if one of our kids and family is along. We always check to make sure the gratuity is added; then we add what we feels the service justifies. We had a couple of great servers in January and made sure they knew how pleased we were.
I am curious, however, if each server gets their tips from the parties they serve, or if the tips are pooled and divided. Being in the bar and restaurant business, I wonder how other places handle it.[/QUOTE]

I found the thread with answers to these questions by MBers who are former CMs:

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/wdw-restaurants/42134-tips-explained.html?highlight=cellier+tip

Good news is for the dinner shows (e.g., HDDR), the gratuity is included in the price, but wonderfully is still covered by the DDP!