Gratuity - when to do or not to do

I am one person that is bummed that the gratuity is not included in the dining package like it was in pervious years. I do remember that the service wasn’t always the best. Maybe this is because they knew they were getting their tip either way. So MB members my question is this…would any of you give anything less then 15% for bad service? personally i’m one that thinks a tip is not a right and it shouldn’t be automatic. if you can’t fill my water your 15% tip just went down. I hope to not offend the food service world out there. i do think they are very hard workers. it’s just that when you are at the “happiest place on earth” and we pay what we pay i think you should have exceptional service. any thoughts???

hula girl, I completely understand where you are coming from on tips. I waited tables during the summers when I was in college, and you’re right, it is a tough job if you do it right, but, unfortunately, there are a few folks who don’t do their jobs well, whether it’s waiting tables or whatever. I also do not think that a tip should be automatic, although, I’ve never stiffed a waitperson. I will, however, leave a great tip for outstanding service.

Well, I’ve never really had “BAD” service at WDW!

And yes life was easier when the gratuity was included. Which some servers told me they got approx. $5/head . . . so overall that is NOT bad.

They do leave a blank line at the bottom of your receipt, and you can leave what you feel is right. They show options for 15% and 20% so you don’t even have to do the math (this is before tax) which makes it easy.

I’m pretty much a 20%+ tipper. Being a server is a tough job, and the general public is grouchy! :blush: You’d have to REALLY do a bad job for me not to tip, or give less.

AND-really with the tip NOT included servers are getting the short end, because you get two tabs at the end of the night, your food and your bar . . . and you really should leave a tip on both. WITH the “new” DDP there is so much paperwork at the end of the meal, it is sooooo easy to get confused and tip too little or TOO MUCH . . . which we did one night! (luckily we had an honest server who showed us our error) :happy:

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;965426]Well, I’ve never really had “BAD” service at WDW!

And yes life was easier when the gratuity was included. Which some servers told me they got approx. $5/head . . . so overall that is NOT bad.

They do leave a blank line at the bottom of your receipt, and you can leave what you feel is right. They show options for 15% and 20% so you don’t even have to do the math (this is before tax) which makes it easy.

I’m pretty much a 20%+ tipper. Being a server is a tough job, and the general public is grouchy! :blush: You’d have to REALLY do a bad job for me not to tip, or give less.

AND-really with the tip NOT included servers are getting the short end, because you get two tabs at the end of the night, your food and your bar . . . and you really should leave a tip on both. WITH the “new” DDP there is so much paperwork at the end of the meal, it is sooooo easy to get confused and tip too little or TOO MUCH . . . which we did one night! (luckily we had an honest server who showed us our error) :happy:[/QUOTE]

really what kind of paperwork?

I am a server and it is HARD work. I sometimes feel like I am being pulled in a million different directions. The public is grouchy when things don’t go their way and they generally take it out on the waitress, lol. I always tip 15 % and above, Mostly I tip 20 -25 % . Servers have a different minimum wage than regular workers. I only make $2.10 an hour. I depend on my tips to help support my family.

I don’t think you are wrong. A tip is EARNED in my world too. I tip 15% as a standard, but have tipped less for horrible service. I am usually a great tipper and rarely every experience anything less than stellar service while at WDW.

I for one am never saying that a server should automatically be tipped well though, they should have to work for their money, but their are so many instances when people take tips away when it is entirely not the servers fault. I have no control over the way the cook cooks the food or how fast or slow the food comes out after I hand the cook the ticket. I cannot control the table behind yours kids crying, lol. And all that jazz.

Agreed on that. I would never deduct a tip for food preparation. I do for missing serviers who I have to search for a refill from or one that totally rushes the process of eating in order to turn the table. I cannot stand when they try to take your dessert order at the time they are asking you for the rest of your meal. I like to do things quickly, but sheesh…not that quick.

Well you have to give one room key per party, and then you have your bar tab. So we always go with a group, and there is more then one room key, bar tab and so on.

Sooooo at then end of every meal, we are handed all these slips of paper and the server stands there to tell us, sign this, keep this, this is where you put your tip, etc. :laugh::laugh:

It’s always so confusing (well to me anyway!) :blush:

I completely agree that the way the food is prepared and the atmosphere in the restaurant is completely out of the waitstaff’s control, but whether or not my glass gets refilled or I get the extra stack of napkins I need for slobbo kids, is in my waitperson’s control. I think most waitpeople do a fabulous job and work VERY hard, but once in a while you do get someone who just doesn’t seem to care, and that’s when I only leave the standard 15% tip.

I try and always fill refills, but sometimes I do get overwhelmed, or just plain out forget (and need to be reminded) because I have 8 tables at one time sometimes, but I am always polite and apologetic if I am a mistake, as far as just missing I totally understand you, you can tell if one is busy or missing altogether. And my boss always gives me grief to get peoples drink orders the minute the people get to the table, I like to let them settle down before I rush over to them. I go over about five minutes into the meal and ask them how everything is, then I just kinda watch them until I think they are done.

Don’t feel bad or apologetic about the way you feel, everyone has different expections as far as service goes. I generally tip 20% and something would have to be SEVERLY wrong for me to tip under 15%. The server would have to COMPLETLEY ignore us, personally insult one of us, or blatently act rude on purpose. There’s been a FEW, but VERY few, incidents while in WDW where I was like “Daniel, REALLY, does this person REALLY think they earned a 20% tip?” But it’s rare.

To be honest, my confusion is more with WDW buffets! I’ve had WAY more than a handful of experiences where we saw our server ONCE, just to take our drink order. Never came back for refills, never came back to ask if we needed anything, we had to FIND a different server or ask around for ours. Then, suddenly they reappear at check time! How in the WORLD does that justify a good tip, or ANY at all?

What is everyone’s typical WDW Buffet tipping policy?

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;965462]To be honest, my confusion is more with WDW buffets! I’ve had WAY more than a handful of experiences where we saw our server ONCE, just to take our drink order. Never came back for refills, never came back to ask if we needed anything, we had to FIND a different server or ask around for ours. Then, suddenly they reappear at check time! How in the WORLD does that justify a good tip, or ANY at all?

What is everyone’s typical WDW Buffet tipping policy?[/QUOTE]

I tip the same at buffets, but I have never had a person not come back to refill our drinks several times, offer us coffee and such, clear plates away etc.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;965462]To be honest, my confusion is more with WDW buffets! I’ve had WAY more than a handful of experiences where we saw our server ONCE, just to take our drink order. Never came back for refills, never came back to ask if we needed anything, we had to FIND a different server or ask around for ours. Then, suddenly they reappear at check time! How in the WORLD does that justify a good tip, or ANY at all?

What is everyone’s typical WDW Buffet tipping policy?[/QUOTE]

I tip the same as well! BUT, there has been one or two occasions where there are multiple plates at the end of the table and the drinks never got a refill, so then I do less.

Does anyone know if the tip IS included at CRT? My server told me last time in DEC it was included with the 2 TS credit.
Wish…Buffetts…hmmm…last time at cape may we got our drinks and it was it. No refills or anything. I left a $5.00. I felt bad but I didn’t want to be there for 2 hours with 1 ice tea. Not going to happen. I always tip awesome but. If the server isn’t right I’m not doing %20 I worked at olive garden lone star you name it I’ve worked it back in the day so I know how it should be.

I waited tables 20+ years ago at full service and buffets. Knowing what I know affects the tip I leave. I tip 15-20% at sit downs depending on service, and even then if it’s been bad I look around and try to access why. Are they short handed, did they get multiple tables all at once or could they be standing around talking to people they know. The exception of going under 15% is buffets and that’s mainly because you don’t normally get the same service as sit downs AND most buffet restaurants have filed with IRS for the wait staff to only be alloted 5% of thier sales instead of the standard 8%. Yes, believe it or not 1/2 of what you leave is tax free for them.
Here’s my complaint: we’re a family of 6 and in most places around the real world tips aren’t automatic until parties of 8 or more and even then it’s 15%, but in Dis World it’s 18% for 6 or more. Now if service was good, give rewards where due. But come on, automatic 18% on an already over-priced buffet for filling drinks and bringing our check! That’s just wrong :angry:

Sounds like the waiter that we had at Crystal Palace in Sept 08. Didn’t even take away the plates that we were finished with.

I have no problem giving a nice tip for good service. I also have no problem not giving a good tip for poor service. I think thats why a server pay rate is so low( $2 to $3 ), so if they do a good job the tips help make a better rate. :pluto:

This is a really good point. I agree with it too.

One of my pet peeves in a server is NOT bringing the check when I am finished eating. Sometimes it takes 10-15 minutes after I am done- and tell them no dessert, etc. Sometimes DH and I have plans and we need to “get out”. Bring the check immediatly, offer more drinks, etc. If someone wants to linger, they can.