Gratuity

I was about to make my adrs but I have a quick question first. Is gratuity automatically included on all parties of six or more? I know it is when using the dining plan so I assume this means on all parties of six or more.
Thanks everyone!-Becky

They add 18% on the dining plan for parties of 6 or more and for items which you order that are nor included in the dinind plan - the GOOD drinks etc.)

LOL… the “GOOD” drinks.

So, If you aren’t using the dining plan the 18% will be added to the bill for six or more?

When your party consists of 6 or more guests, under all conditions, an 18% tip will be automatically added to your bill. Whether you are on a dining plan, you are a member of Disney Dining Experience, or you are paying out of pocket. Period. Also if you are a member of Disney Dining Experience (now called Tables in Wonderland) and use your membership for the 20% discount, an 18% tip is automatically added to your bill regardless of party size, even if it’s just you and no one else.

Wow, I can imagine that Disney is receiving lots of complaints about DDE being required to leave an automatic 18% tip!

Yes that is correct.

I think it’s pretty fair unless you get really bad service.

I agree and I love using the “Tables in Wonderland” (but I totally hate the new name!!). I don’t have to figure out the tip, I just pay the bottom line!! Easy!!

Well, combined with AP holders being able to book room only and add the dining plan for even a single night stay, I haven’t bothered to renew my DDE membership. But in truth, you would have to leave a tip no matter what, and the discount always was a wash when you factor in the tip. It just stinks that you’re forced to tip at 18% regardless of service quality. I also have quibbles with 18% tips for buffet meals.

We just got and had dinner for 6 every night there and they automatically tack on 18%.

Interestingly enough, at O’Hana, our server split it up between the 2 parties. He rang them in as a party of 4 and a party of 2. We left him a larger tip because he did this. All the rest added the 18% automatically.

So, since my last trip was MAY :eek: did they change this?

When I was there in May there was THREE lines at the bottom of the bill, one with a recommended amount for 18%, then recommended amount for 20% then a blank line to fill in what you wanted too!!

So now they add the 18% or is this JUST parties of 6?

For parties of 6 or more, 18% tip automatically added in all cases. (If you are paying out-of-pocket, Disney Dining Plan, or Disney Dining Experience (Tables in Wonderland)

If you are using Disney Dining Experience (Tables in Wonderland) 18% is automatically added no matter the party size. i.e. 1+

If you are paying out of pocket, i.e. cash, credit card, room charge. etc. then 18% is only automatically if you are a party of 6 or more. If there are 5 or few people at your table then no automatic tip is added.

If you are in a situation where the 18% is automatically added and you feel that the service was sub-par, ask to speak to a manager. I am sure they can and will adjust the bill accordingly. There has been a couple of times when I have been at a Disney restaurant and thought the service was sub-standard. I asked to speak to a manager and the manager adjusted my bill by 10% or so or offered us desert. This was not in an automatic tip situation. Also, I have worked in restaurants and it takes a lot to tick me off service wise. I also take in account if perhaps the server was triple sat, or if the restaurant was understaffed for the amount of customers they were serving.

But one should always double check to see IF it was added. We ate at Cape May for dinner and we got the 20% discount, but no tip was added. If we hadn’t checked we would have left and not left anything for the tip.

We left the 18-25% at all our restaurants except one. I feel our servers actually deserved the tip. Le Cellier bill came to an 18% tip of $18 and our server did NOT bring more pretzel bread when we asked, only brought my DH one refil, me none - and we asked, and was extremely slow and showed MUCH more attention to the large table beside us. I left him $10 and felt that was more than enough.

This is one thing I don’t like about automatic tips, some servers don’t give you the attention you should get.

You can always remove the tip if the service justifies it. Just ask for the mananger.

I have no problem tipping for good service but…I have been know to leave a single penny as a message for LOUSY SERVICE which wasn’t at WDW.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;890183]So, since my last trip was MAY :eek: did they change this?

When I was there in May there was THREE lines at the bottom of the bill, one with a recommended amount for 18%, then recommended amount for 20% then a blank line to fill in what you wanted too!!

So now they add the 18% or is this JUST parties of 6?[/QUOTE]

No, it’s just for parties of 6 or more and it has been that way for many years now.
The automatic tip for parties of any size is only, I REPEAT ONLY if you are a member of Disney Dining Experience/Tables in Wonderland and you use your membership discount and that rule changed on Jan 1 of this year.

We just recently got back and were charged as a party 6, 18% gratuity, even though we were two parties of 3 sitting together. They separated the billd between the two rooms each meal and charged us separately the 18% on our portion of the bill only.

On two nights, when my picky eater didn’t eat, the waitresses very nicely charged us as a party of 5, so the tip was up to us! that was Ohana and akershaus, if I recall…

[QUOTE=crazy4tink;890870]We just recently got back and were charged as a party 6, 18% gratuity, even though we were two parties of 3 sitting together. They separated the billd between the two rooms each meal and charged us separately the 18% on our portion of the bill only.

On two nights, when my picky eater didn’t eat, the waitresses very nicely charged us as a party of 5, so the tip was up to us! that was Ohana and akershaus, if I recall…[/QUOTE]
The way I understand it is if you have 6 or at a table regardless of how the bill is split.They do this at many local restaurants also.

I wonder what the base sallary is at most wdw restaurants for wait staff. Does anyone know? I know the tip is split between a few people, I have just always been curious.