Great article on the xPass

So how exactly is Disney World’s new xPASS system supposed to work?

I am actually excited about this “x-pass”! I agree with he article that people freak out when there are changes at WDW ( i.e. fastpass)but that worked out just fine! Also, if you do not want to use this service you don’t have to!

On the idea that “Walt would not have liked this” we always have to keep in mind that Walt was always looking at future technology and was interested in incorporating new things, ideas to make his parks fresh and interesting.

Lisa

I’m disappointed I was hoping it was still on track to be rolled out this summer. We were really hoping to be test subjects for it. I’m excited to see how this turns out! I’ll use it, at least once, to give it a try. I’m planner anyway.

I’m still not too keen on the idea… Jim Hill argues that a WDW vacation is far from spontaneous, but he is assuming that everyone knows to book dining reservations in advance… so many people don’t even know to do that.

At the same time, I do kind of like the idea of knowing I’ll be able to ride such-and-such in advance… at least the things that are most important to me. But, I’m afraid it’s going to end up hurting us because we frequently book our WDW vacations very spur-of-the-moment. “Hey, you want to go to Disney this weekend?” “Yeah, let’s do it!” Of course, that being said, I can almost always go online and find dining reservations available… but you have to pay for meals that you reserve in advance. This xPass is free (which I like - don’t get me wrong), so probably more people will take advantage.

I also wonder how this will affect annual passholders… could they potentially book “experiences” for every day of the year?

With six days in the parks this last time we only had two times when our fastpasses were past the wait time and one of those was only five minutes. The other was for Soarin which had a 40 minute wait for the fastpass line at 8:00 PM. (The standby line was closed.) Looks like these changes will have little to no effect on us.

We’re planning an early January 2013 trip. It would be fun to try it especially now knowing it will be free. I love to plan! It keeps me thinking about the trip and what fun we’ll have.