Great Movie Ride question

So I’ve been to Disney world quite a few times, meaning I’ve ridden TGMR many times. Everytime I’ve ridden it, there has been the gangster tour guide theme. I was reading a really cool book that mentions that there are actually two themes, a cowboy one and a ganster one, and that you can ask a CM to put you on a certain one. Thinking of all the times I’ve ridden it, I figured that if that were true I would have already seen it.

So does anyone know about this? Is it something new they’ve done? Or have a just miraculously ridden only the gangster theme for the past 20 years?

[QUOTE=lsutigerlily;1036305]So I’ve been to Disney world quite a few times, meaning I’ve ridden TGMR many times. Everytime I’ve ridden it, there has been the gangster tour guide theme. I was reading a really cool book that mentions that there are actually two themes, a cowboy one and a ganster one, and that you can ask a CM to put you on a certain one. Thinking of all the times I’ve ridden it, I figured that if that were true I would have already seen it.

So does anyone know about this? Is it something new they’ve done? Or have a just miraculously ridden only the gangster theme for the past 20 years?[/QUOTE]

Yeah! You can have a cowboy. But in all my years of going to Disney I’ve only gotten a cowboy maybe twice! The cowboy one is my favorite one :heart:

I got the cowboy a couple times about 4 years ago! It was really great. As for asking the CM to place you on a ride that has one of the specific themes I don’t know.

I don’t think they do the cowboy a lot. Considering I’ve probably ridden that ride a hundred times. And I’ve only seen a cowboy guide a few times! :blush:

I know that when the car is stopped in 1920’s city scene, the same take over can be happening in the wild west.

I’m not sure if it is a capacity issue. The cowboy may be for busier times.

This is what I’ve been told - they only use the cowboy scene if it’s crowded and they need to get more people through. Otherwise one car (stopping in the gangster scene) is all that’s sent through.

If both scenes are running, you CAN ask for the cowboy. We’ve done it. :happy:

I also only ever had the cowboy once and was not expecting it. It is fun to get a bit of variation now and then! I also figured it was because it was very busy and the line was surprisingly long.

There are videos on youtube of the cowboy takeover if you’re interested in seeing what happens. :happy:

I have had both on the same trip a few times.

It was ages before we realised there were two themes, in fact I think it was Tink who told me. Up to that point we had only ever seen the one which was the gangster- now of course we’ve seen them both.

Im pretty sure we have seen the Cowboy, there is some vague memory in the back of my mind but mostly, we just get the gangster everytime we ride. I really wish they would give it a BIG update though!

No clue there was a cowboy version…hmmmm, may have to ask about that next time. Thanks for the heads up!

We decide which version we want and sk the CM which one is going on our turn. If it is not the one we want to see we ask if we can wait for the next trolley. They always accomadate.

A user at WDWmagic had this photo of the GMR track, you can see how both areas can be used…

Wow this just jogged my memory about the cowboy scene! I’ve only seen it once and have forgotten all about it. I didn’t even know you could request to see it.

The cowboy is SOOO much better than the gangster. The explosion is so much better than the gun fight. We also found out about this in a book and then had to ask about it. We ask more times than not, and unfortunately, the CM doesnt always get it right. You need to end up in the first set of cars (the right door) to get to see the cowboy. It is worth asking for!

WOW! This blows my mind! I cannot believe I’ve been going to Disney all these years and have never seen it! I’m definitely gonna have to ask next time I go!

We rode TGMR 3 times during our last trip (May 2010) and we always got the gangster…we always hope for the Cowboy scene…we like it much better too.

We just though we had bad luck not getting it…but I guess it was because they don’t run that unless it is more crowded.

We have had both. It doesn’t matter to me which one I get. I just like seeing all the movies especially at the end. My daughter and I sit there trying to name off the movies that they show. I love the Wizard of OZ scene. They could let me live there and I would be happy. I love the Wicked Witch of the west, but then I like the villians.:tongue:

I could have sworn when I was there last year, that we started out with the Gangster and then the Cowboy took over.